Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goat Canyon Trestle

So I hike in, about 2.5 hrs . Climb a hill south/west of Goat canyon and take a shot. Jeese should have took a taxi.
    97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
    WEB site

great shot though..

Comment

Great shot. I knew you could drive there some how.
      Check out .

Comment

Nice shot Britain. It's a long hike to get there.

Comment

When did you take this photo? That must be a vehicle equipped with rails. I am surprised to see that picture considering the latest efforts to open the railroad have failed. It is in extreme disrepair and they have missed the last two payments back to the San Diego Metropolitan Transit Authority.
          Last edited by bendg13; 01-20-15, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bendg13 View Post
            When did you take this photo? That must be a vehicle equipped with rails. I am surprised to see that picture considering the latest efforts to open the railroad have failed. It is in extreme disrepair and they have missed the last two payments back to the San Diego Metropolitan Transit Authority.
            Picture taken 12/26/2014 Vehicle had tires. You could with a non 4 wheel drive vehicle get to the bridge from Hwy 8. After the bridge heading into the desert one of the tunnels has a slight cave in. That would take a 4 wheel drive to get over. I've seen a picture with at least 8 jeeps on the bridge. One of the tunnels near the desert has a gate in it to keep this from happening, but the gate is always open when I've been there. Most of the wood on the rail over hanges is really rotten, when someone rolls down into the gorge and gets killed it will get shut down. Someone parked a go cart type thing that rides on the tracks. Had a sign "please return cart here..you supply gas"
            97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
            WEB site

Comment

I rode my bike out there on Saturday the 17th. There were some pretty big gaps and a lot of disintegrating wood on the bridges between Highway 8 (the De Anza Springs Nudist Resort) and the Goat Canyon Trestle. Some of the gaps were big enough for a tire to fall through but a 4 wheel drive vehicle would certainly solve that problem. Regardless, it is nothing I would want to drive over. I like solid ground under my tires.

While walking across the Goat Canyon bridge a piece of the metal grating flopped down. That scared the crap out of me. The spikes securing the wood and metal is starting to back out in many places. Something bad is likely to happen soon out there.

As far as the car, I was thinking it was a Railroad policeman. I know they have went out there in the past. I hope you are correct and it was just an individual in a 4 wheel drive vehicle because I am hoping to lead a group of friends out there soon and I would prefer not to have an encounter with law enforcement.
              Last edited by bendg13; 01-20-15, 11:59 PM.

Comment

This group came from the east coast and was on the final leg. Picture taken at Dos Cabeza on the way to the trestle.
                97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                WEB site

Comment

Check out this video. This video shows a vehicle almost an exact match in profile and color to the picture you took on the 26th. Unfortunately, it is a Carrizo Gorge Railway Police vehicle. It looks like the police are still out there. I hope they are the reasonable officers and not the Johnny Law type because I still plan on going out there.

Comment

Originally posted by bendg13 View Post
                    Check out this video. This video shows a vehicle almost an exact match in profile and color to the picture you took on the 26th. Unfortunately, it is a Carrizo Gorge Railway Police vehicle. It looks like the police are still out there. I hope they are the reasonable officers and not the Johnny Law type because I still plan on going out there.

Wow..not the same vehicle but good to know. When in the video he went over the trestle, the next tunnel has/had a cave in on one end. I haven't been down on the tracks at the trestle for a few years, I do know the R&R company went bankrupt. Thanks for the share.
                    97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                    WEB site

Comment

I reviewed a few other Photos, that car on the bridge did indeed have steel wheels on the track. He was going in reverse so the cave in is still there. You can see the wheels on the track in front of the car. Wish I would of had my 100-400 lens on.
                      97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                      WEB site

Comment

Working...
                      X