Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GoPro Tips, Please.

For all you guys that have been shooting with a GoPro. What is the best settings, for hand held filming, while on the move? I had mine set for 1080P and 60fps. The picture was great, but it was very shaky . I made a mount on a stick to hold the camera. I would prefer a widescreen format over a 4:3 ratio.

Thanks Joe
    It was like that when I got here.

I found this tip on YouTube. Very simple. Still wondering if any settings, are better then others.

http://youtu.be/kSfMcKhtFhw

Comment

I have found that once the video is compressed/downsized for the web, it sort of doesn't matter. It looks like my GoPro is set on 1080 - 30. It did a really great job capturing all the little splashing details of our rafting trip (still working on that video) and the blowing snow up on the mountains.

As far as the shaking, my only answer has been the same, to get some sort of stick (we used a ski pole and a ski). It made for some interesting angles and allowed us to film ourselves. I've seen a few videos where the helmet cam is mounted to be able to see a bit of the helmet and it looked really nice.

Here's the video where we were trying out a few mounts. The ski pole got the best footage but I wasn't coordinated enough to carry it
      http://baconinthesun.com/2014/loveland-gopro/
      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

This is something that you have to deal with being the GoPro has no shake reduction. The faster the fps the less blurring you will have especially when filming action. Some like that effect and some don't. It's a preference. To help with the shaking I use a hand held gimbal and will also use a shake reduction software if it's that bad.
        Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
          To help with the shaking I use a hand held gimbal and will also use a shake reduction software if it's that bad.
          Hand held gimbal? is that a steady cam type of mount? I use a home made stick mount. I used the shake reduction feature in the video I put up in the Cougar Buttes trip report. I noticed that it changes the quality of the video. But nobody has said anything, about it. So I guess its ok. I have done some research, on what settings to use and when. Shaky video has nothing to do with settings, and everything to do with how you hold or mount the camera.

Comment

Originally posted by Tumbleweed13 View Post
            Hand held gimbal? is that a steady cam type of mount?
            Yes sir. Take a pick.
            https://www.google.com/search?q=gopr...ed=0CAgQ_AUoAw
            Check out .

Comment

I may consider something like that. Thanks

Comment

Buddy of mine bought the handheld gimbal, its awesome. Tried to get a software weenie and a EE from work to devise something that would connect to my hat and point the camera where I was looking while driving.

Comment

Originally posted by DaK View Post
                  ... a EE from work to devise something that would connect to my hat and point the camera where I was looking while driving.
                  I have this and works well.
                  http://www.amazon.com/GoPro-GHDS30-H...ero+head+mount
                  Check out .

Comment

I went out and did some wheel'n and filming this past weekend. I used some of the filming tips from youtube, to stop the shaky video. The tip that tells you to rest the camera against your chin, to steady the cam, works excellent. You just have to remember to move your entire head, and not just your eyes, so the camera is tracking, what your looking at. When standing at the top of a hill, or canyon, and filming someone coming up, I cut off the jeeps at the bottom of the frame, just moving my eyes, and not my head. But in general, this is a good way to steady the camera.

This got me to thinking about the hand held gimbals, which I am considering. When you are above your subject and trying to film at a downward angle, does the gimbal, allow this? If, its job is to keep the camera level, this seems like a problem. what do you do in this situation?

Comment

Mine doesn't allow this and most I've seen don't either. I'm sure some one makes one that does. My drone has a potentiometer that allows me to tilt the y axis and still provides a steady shot.
                      Check out .

Comment

Working...
                      X