Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nikon D5200 Costco??

So... with the misses and I expecting, a month in Europe coming up soon, and my wife's old 35mm finally kicking the bucket I picked up the Costco Nikon 5200 2 lens deal. I don't know jack crap about cameras, photography, or anything near it. I took photography in school so I could kiss girls in the black room.

My wife seems to think that the Canon (she has a Canon 35mm) SL1 deal at Costco would be a better camera. The cameras seem to match up on stats except for a $200 price difference, 28 autofocus points, and 6 mega pixels... My question is, how much of a difference will we see on the megapixel count? Anyone have personal experience with either one or both?

I already ordered the D5200 but the beauty of it is that I could always return it if needed.
    USMC F&AM

Chris,

Have you forgotten? Women are ALWAYS RIGHT.

The Nikon has 33% more pixels (24 megapixel vs 18 megapixels) and 20% more magnification at full zoom (300 mm vs 250 mm). That would explain the 25% difference in price ($950 vs $750). Unless you plan to get into real serious photography, I'd let Kayla win this one.

Russ
    If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
    KI6MLU

Comment

Amen Russ. I'm not sure what her plans would be with a camera. She does really enjoying taking great pictures though.
      USMC F&AM

Comment

If she already has canon EF lenses, the SL1 would be a nice choice, wouldn't need to buy lenses

Any decent modern camera will have more than plenty of megapixels.
        [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
        www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

She has a Canon lens that is about 15 years old from her 35mm. That's about all I know about it. I figured it wouldn't have the same mounting configuration as the newer DSLR cameras. Did I figure wrong?
          USMC F&AM

Comment

If they are EF mount, they will fit. if They are FD mount, then no. Canon switched from FD to EF a while back, more than 15 years though, it was the late 80s when they switched. Do you know the exact model of her old camera?
            [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
            www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

I don't have a clue sadly.
              USMC F&AM

Comment

Well. Got the camera, and been playing with it some... Freaking thing has crazy amounts of features; thus making me afraid of touching it. So far seems to take good shots though!
                USMC F&AM

Comment

Originally posted by TipsE-Z View Post
                  Well. Got the camera, and been playing with it some... Freaking thing has crazy amounts of features; thus making me afraid of touching it. So far seems to take good shots though!
                  How fun! You're making me want to upgrade... hehe
                  :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by sarah View Post
                    How fun! You're making me want to upgrade... hehe
                    I wish I knew enough to say do it! But I don't. All I know is that we can use an app over the wifi for it to take a photo of us, thus making family portraits easier. Oh, and it can make a photo look like a drawing.
                    USMC F&AM

Comment

Originally posted by TipsE-Z View Post
                      I wish I knew enough to say do it! But I don't. All I know is that we can use an app over the wifi for it to take a photo of us, thus making family portraits easier. Oh, and it can make a photo look like a drawing.
                      That's awesome! It probably does video too. I think mine was the last model that didn't. Sounds like a fun camera!
                      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Working...
                      X