Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bighorn Mine

I found a new mine site in the San Gabriel's. Lots of structure and cool mine tunnel.

It's a 2+ mile hike in on a fairly easy trail...except for the cat walk through the avalanche sections. The mine dates back to the early 1900's.

Old miners cabin

Nice fall colors along the way.

The mill site hanging on a 2000ft cliff. You got to watch your step here.

Main tunnel.

Great views.

Secondary tunnel.

It's a long way to the bottom.

Air compressor equipment.

North view of the high desert.

Great report and pictures.
    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Here's a historical article on the mines history.

http://www.wrightwoodcalif.com/Wrigh...a06bighorn.pdf

Comment

Nice find!
        SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
        MJR moderator
        MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
        Jeep Patrol Leader
        Reforestation Supervisor
        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
        Eagle Scout

Comment

wow that is a beautiful find!
          Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
          Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
          HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Originally posted by mkjeepers View Post
            Here's a historical article on the mines history.

http://www.wrightwoodcalif.com/Wrigh...a06bighorn.pdf
            That's a terrific article. I wish a lot more of these kinds of sites had their history chronicled so nicely.
            Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
            Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
            HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Many years ago, I think I was maybe 14 or 15, we hiked back to the Bighorn with a group. About six of us went in. Im sure it was pretty dangerous, knowing what I know now...but what the heck.

The main tunnel was about 2' -3' underwater...we waded through it.there were shafts on either side. The cool thing is there were still carts and rails, some you could push. The main shaft ended in a huge round room about 3 stories tall. Of course it was pitch black, and with our cheap flashlights we could only see so far. It was several stories high inside, with tunnels that ended above as well. There were cables hanging from the cieling. The center of the room had suffered a cave in, with alot of large rubble covering what looked to be a round about, or rails connecting.

We ventured down the right side and only took left turns until we got scared wed get lost, then came out.

This place seemed endless. I wish I had more time to explore it back then.

Thanks for posting it. Ive always wondered what became of it.

Tam
              Last edited by JeepGal; 10-11-13, 10:56 AM.
              2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
              Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Originally posted by JeepGal View Post
                Many years ago, I think I was maybe 14 or 15, we hiked back to the Bighorn with a group. About six of us went in. Im sure it was pretty dangerous, knowing what I know now...but what the heck.

The main tunnel was about 2' -3' underwater...we waded through it.there were shafts on either side. The cool thing is there were still carts and rails, some you could push. The main shaft ended in a huge round room about 3 stories tall. Of course it was pitch black, and with our cheap flashlights we could only see so far. It was several stories high inside, with tunnels that ended above as well. There were cables hanging from the cieling. The center of the room had suffered a cave in, with alot of large rubble covering what looked to be a round about, or rails connecting.

We ventured down the right side and only took left turns until we got scared wed get lost, then came out.

This place seemed endless. I wish I had more time to explore it back then.

Thanks for posting it. Ive always wondered what became of it.

Tam
                The mine has thousands of feet of tunnels and several different levels. Tuesday there was only a trickle of water in it.

Comment

Nice find..to bad about the taggers messing it up.
                  97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                  WEB site

Comment

Very cool report Mike. Great pictures as always. I hiked to the Bighorn Mine many years ago. But that was before I would explore inside. And it did have water inside, like most of the San Gabriel mines. Can be a dangerous mix of water filled, rotting wood....Bad air can kill you. Not a problem for the desert mines in general. Quite a few awesome mines in the area, but most require serious hiking and climbing. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Just found it on Google Earth and just added it to the To-Do List! Thanks Mike!
                      [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                      Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                      [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                        Just found it on Google Earth and just added it to the To-Do List! Thanks Mike!
                        It's an easy hike in - approx. 2 miles. Be careful in the avalanche areas - they're fun!

Comment

is the entrance at the top of the ladder open yet? It was locked last time I was there. Not that its much of a second exit, but I like options in case things go wrong
                          KB1UTG (keep being one ultimate tough guy)

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy162 View Post
                            is the entrance at the top of the ladder open yet? It was locked last time I was there. Not that its much of a second exit, but I like options in case things go wrong
                            The entrance was locked. I just stuck my camera through the grate.

Comment

Working...
                            X