Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some DSLR advice.

Ok guys i am a super newbie in the DSLR world but I am finally going to pull the trigger.

I know that there are alot of MJR member's that are way more knowledgeable on this than i am. I think I have Narrowed it down to two options that will fit into my budget.

option one- Canon - EOS Rebel T3i 18.0-Megapixel DSLR

or

option two- Nikon - D3100 14.2-Megapixel Digital SLR

I am leaning toward the Canon mainly because i have had issues with Nikon cameras in the past.

Any advice on these units would be great thanks guys!!!!
    [COLOR="YellowGreen"]"You cant fit 2 fingers in my tailpipe"[/COLOR]

Honestly, either camera will probably be plenty for you.

What I would do is go to a camera store and ask to see both cameras, Nikons and Canons feel alot different. Just take a few minutes and hold them, try the buttons, look through the viewfinder and take a few shots (even if there's no card, just pretend like there is). Just get a feel for them, see which one you like the feel of better.

There are some differences other than just feel and construction. For example the Canon has a main dial (for changing shutterspeed, and so on) with your index finger, where the Nikon has that dial by your thumb instead. So there's some differences in button placement as well.

If you want my opinion, I think the Nikon bodies in general feel a bit better. Granted I've not held any of the latest line of cameras, I doubt they have changed that much. But I shoot canon when I'm shooting DSLR, because of the lenses I have (I can mount almost anything onto a Canon camera with adapters, not so with Nikon cameras) But give them both a try and see which you like better.

Image quality wise, I doubt either of the cameras will fall below expectations. And if you don't already have any lenses, I'd just go with which ever one feels better to you.

Good luck! You'll be fine either way :-) Both Canon and Nikon make great cameras
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
    www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Like Daniel said, both brands are very good and both cameras will serve you well. It ultimately comes down to what feels more comfortable for you as far as menus and ergonomics.

I was in the same boat as you a few months back and these guys did not steer me wrong, they helped me tremendously with my decision process and I couldn't be happier.

I ultimately decided on Canon because it felt a little better to me and the used Canon market seems greater than the the Nikon (unless I am not looking in the right places). Also, the Canon site has great prices and promos on refurbished stuff (the T3i w/ lens kit is $543 right now).

Try both cameras (or others) and post your questions/thoughts here. Also, post what you will be using this camera for and you will get great feedback. Although it was an expensive jump for me, I am glad I listened to these guys, they nailed it.

As Erik told me, put your money in the glass, the body can always be upgraded later. This is the best line to live by IMO, and I am already looking at selling the 50D to get a 7D or something from the soon to be released lineup.
      [COLOR="Blue"]If you don't have the time to do it right, what makes you think you'll have the time to do it twice?[/COLOR]

Comment

Well after messing with both cameras at bestbuy for a few hours I went with the Canon t3I
        [COLOR="YellowGreen"]"You cant fit 2 fingers in my tailpipe"[/COLOR]

Comment

you'll enjoy it :-) Looking forward to the photos!
          [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab

Comment

Good choice. A good place to learn about Canon stuff (lenses, etc..) and pick up or trade used gear is "http://photography-on-the.net/forum/"
            Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
            Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
            HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

I'll warn you right now, getting into photography can quickly become a money pit, take the time to use what you have, and get real comfortable before you start throwing money at more lenses and such. Find out what type of shooting you want to do, what situations you are in while shooting, before spending good money on good lenses. Good lenses are well worth the money, but you can easilly want all of them! haha :-D

Comment

Scott,

Good choice on your new camera. There are lots of folks on the MJR site with tons of ideas and help. Also a good place to find some extra lenses and accesories. Erik took great care of me on that. Have fun.

Comment

Working...
                X