Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time Lapse Dolly

Well basically I did a little research on DIY dollies because I didn’t want to spend $800 on one of these. After watching multiple videos on Youtube and Vimeo I came up with this design.

All the electronics are on the aluminum platform and is controlled by the POT. I can control the speed and direction of the motor by the controls on the box. On each end of the aluminum platform I installed a micro switch to shut down the motor when the platform reaches either end preventing damage to the motor. Once the motor has stopped I flip the switch to "Bypass" which bypasses the micro swtich allowing me to switch directions.

The allen wrench you see is used to loosen the belt clamp on each end and move the platform to anywhere on the rail. I use this to switch sides depending on how the camera is positioned.

I should have a couple more videos shortly. Still looking to do some star shots. All weekend in the desert it was too cloudy.

Parts list:

McMaster Carr
    3/8" 6061 Aluminum plate
    7 ah 12v battery
    Battery charger

6 ft DryLin double rail slider w/carriage

SDP/SI
    5mm drive belt
    5mm 14 tooth timing belt pully
    Timing Belts (open Ended clamp)

OSH
    Miniature bearings
    2 washers
    Through bolts to secure bearings

DC Motor Speed Controller w/ reversing switch

ServoCity
    .45 offset gear motor

Mouser
    4 DC power jacks
    4 DC power plugs
    2 micro switches
    DPST On-On switch for bypassing the micro switches.
    Enclosure for electronics
    and of coarse the intervalometer.

My first real test so go easy on me.
    Last edited by dirtman13; 01-03-12, 06:06 PM.
    Check out .

Pretty sweet setup Chuck

Comment

That is cool, nice work!

Comment

Right on! I've been helping a buddy make a 1 axis dolly, you can get some pretty good results with just one axis! A guy at work makes 3 axis rigs, those are awesome
        [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
        www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Very cool and very professional Chuck. Thats beyond my current learning curve. And even though I haven't used Vimeo, I have an issue with the fact I can't get a majority of the videos and time lapse posts to open to full screen.

Mitch

Comment

Darn it, Chuck! Now you really make me want to get into the hobby. Very cool stuff.
            [COLOR="Blue"]If you don't have the time to do it right, what makes you think you'll have the time to do it twice?[/COLOR]

Comment

That is sweet!
              Post up a how to: on making one of those contraptions!
              i am just starting to get into video a bit with my cameras. This is something I would consider playing with if the cost is low enough to warrant making one of them.
              >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
              ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
                Very cool and very professional Chuck. Thats beyond my current learning curve. And even though I haven't used Vimeo, I have an issue with the fact I can't get a majority of the videos and time lapse posts to open to full screen.

Mitch
                Mitch, hover over the video and click the the little arrow box icon near the word "Vimeo" to view full size in glorious YouTubeBeDammed quality and resolution. or, as an alternate, click the word "Vimeo" which links you to the original posting of that video and from there you can go full screen. If you don't see these options when you hover over the video, you may want to trade in your Pentium 386 Windows 3.1 machine for something a bit newer :-)
                Last edited by nwoods; 12-20-11, 07:46 AM.
                Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
                  That is sweet!
                  i am just starting to get into video a bit with my cameras. This is something I would consider playing with if the cost is low enough to warrant making one of them.

X2, or send me a price for your beta contraption when you upgrade :-)

TreadLightly Trainer
                  HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll put something together.
                    Check out .

Comment

I just watched it full screen pretty amazing!! I think it might be funny if you put an inflatable dinosaur of some sort and tied a string to it's feet... then pulled it along a few inches every minute... you could make a Godzilla movie equal to the same quality of the old Jananese movies from the 70's!!! Or maybe I am the only one that would enjoy that...

Comment

Too funny Nathan. I'm a few generations newer than that.

Going thru the Vimeo wedsite allowed me to see it full screen. Very nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
                          Too funny Nathan. I'm a few generations newer than that.

Going thru the Vimeo wedsite allowed me to see it full screen. Very nice!
                          Whew! I meant it in humor, but I fretted over this post all day worried that it pissed you off. I was pretty confident you were up to date, to process your photography if for nothing else. Glad to hear that you are able to view them full size. I can spend whole days browsing through Vimeo. I love stuff like "Stella's Day"

TreadLightly Trainer
                          HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

That is really cool!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
                              That is sweet!
                              First post was updated. Let me know if you want any more info.
                              Check out .

Comment

Working...
                              X