Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Photo Oppty- Steam Locomotive

Now I am not one of the resident photo types here on MJR, but I thought I would let you all know that one of the UP Challenger steam locomotives (Number 844) is currently making its way through SoCal.

Details can be found here................

http://www.up.com/aboutup/special_tr...schedule.shtml

The train will be running through Afton Canyon on Sunday morning and heading into Kelso Depot for a 9:45 AM stop. The train tressel at the end of Afton Canyon is pretty darn cool, and would be a great spot to see this train. Of course, pictures of an old steam oiler at Kelso Depot would be quite special.

I am planning to go watch the train in Afton Canyon. I hope that some of the MJR photographers might catch a few photos and share them on the site.

This could be a really cool thread if some of the ametuer and professional photographers on the site can catch a few "snapshots" for the rest of us.

Happy shooting!

-Brian
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Living Legend No. 844
    The Last of the Steam Locomotives

Steam Locomotive No. 844 is the last steam locomotive built for Union Pacific Railroad. It was delivered in 1944. A high-speed passenger engine, it pulled such widely known trains as the Overland Limited, Los Angeles Limited, Portland Rose and Challenger.

Many people know the engine as the No. 8444, since an extra '4' was added to its number in 1962 to distinguish it from a diesel numbered in the 800 series. The steam engine regained its rightful number in June 1989, after the diesel was retired.

When diesels took over all of the passenger train duties, No. 844 was placed in freight service in Nebraska between 1957 and 1959. It was saved from being scrapped in 1960 and held for special service.

The engine has run hundreds of thousands of miles as Union Pacific's ambassador of goodwill. It has made appearances at Expo '74 in Spokane, the 1981 opening of the California State Railroad Museum in Sacramento, the 1984 World's Fair in New Orleans and the 50th Anniversary Celebration of Los Angeles Union Station in 1989.

Hailed as Union Pacific's "Living Legend," the engine is widely known among railroad enthusiasts for its excursion runs, especially over Union Pacific's fabled crossing of Sherman Hill between Cheyenne and Laramie, Wyoming.

Comment

Thanks Brian. I will check the schedule and stake out a few spots to see it. Thinking Cajon pass and the old metal tressle across the street from Emma Jeans.

Comment

Can't wait to see the photos Mitch!

Comment

Well Brian, here they are. Sorry there are so many, but thats how I do it. Comments or questions are appreciated. A slice of history for sure. Cool to be 20 feet away when this bad boy runs thru.

UP 844 on the Cajon Pass

UP 844 running north bound on the old Trestle along Route 66 in Oro Grande

UP 844 over night stay in the Yermo Train Yard

A truely huge train!

Very very clean. Built in 1944 and so well maintained.

Thanks for looking
          Last edited by Mitch; 11-19-11, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Those are some pretty good shots!
            97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
            WEB site

Comment

Great photos! Awesome train. Thanks for posting this up.
              [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
              Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
              [/COLOR]

Comment

Great photos Mitch. I really like the Oro Grande and Yermo shots. Incredible detail and workmanship on that train.

Comment

Thanks for the pictures. Really neat.
                  Rich

Comment

I would have liked to setup and old camera to capture it as it went through that Trestle. Thanks for sharing!
                    [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
                    www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Thanks guys, it truely was an awesome sight. The sound of steam blowing thru the train whistle was amazing.

Comment

Interesting same train same photographer?

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/....php?t=1118007
                        97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                        WEB site

Comment

That is a great shot winding up the Cajon Pass. It was cold and cloudy where I was a couple miles away. Same train.

Comment

Working...
                          X