• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prime lens

Whats your favorite?
    97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
    WEB site

I don't use any "Prime" lenses except a 400mm but from the impression I get from the folks who do, the 50mm is a great prime lens.

I have used the 85mm, but it is way too slow for what I do.

My go-to lens at this time, Vern, is the 28-300mm L from Canon. It is sharp and has an incredible range. I use this for Red Carpet events with a flash. For concert shoots I wouldn't even bring it out of the bag.

All of these photos were taken with the 28-300mmL lens from the same position, including the zoomed in shots of their purses, shoes and rings.
    http://startraksphoto.com/site/Galle...=0&ct=All&tm=3

What do you want to shoot with a Prime lens? What is your budget for a lens Vern?
    http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/p...ef_lens_lineup
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
      I don't use any "Prime" lenses except a 400mm but from the impression I get from the folks who do, the 50mm is a great prime lens.

I have used the 85mm, but it is way too slow for what I do.

My go-to lens at this time, Vern, is the 28-300mm L from Canon. It is sharp and has an incredible range. I use this for Red Carpet events with a flash. For concert shoots I wouldn't even bring it out of the bag.

All of these photos were taken with the 28-300mmL lens from the same position, including the zoomed in shots of their purses, shoes and rings.
      http://startraksphoto.com/site/Galle...=0&ct=All&tm=3

What do you want to shoot with a Prime lens? What is your budget for a lens Vern?
      http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/p...ef_lens_lineup
      Yes I read a lot of good things on the 28-300 even using the lens with an extender.

Looking at the 35mm F1/4L, might try and rent it first.
      97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
      WEB site

Comment

Pretty much all of my lenses are primes. I don't know which ones are my favorites because they all kind of have their place, but I have a few interesting ones.

For my Canon the 85/f1.2 is a pretty interesting lens with such a huge aperture and can get some sweet DOF out of focus looks. I also have an old beat up Contax Zeiss 28/f2.8 that I really like (I use it on my Contax film camera, and my Canon digital).

For my Leica I have an old 50/f1.5 that doesn't have any coatings on the lens elements and gives a real cool glow and some interesting colors. The wider open you shoot it, the stronger the glow and artifacts show up.

For my large format stuff I have alot of funky lenses. One of which is an old Kodak Aero-Ektar 178mm/f2.5 which I believe was mounted in airplanes in WW2 to take photographs at night on bombing runs (the bombs act as flash bulbs). This lens has some radioactive material in it (Thorium), and is quite heavy! It gives some really strange results, not because of the thorium, but because I suspect that someone previous to me had the lens taken apart for some cleaning and it was probably reassembled incorrectly (either one of the lens elements is backwards, or not adjusted properly) so it gives some realy goofy looking highlights. I also have an old British Air Ministry lens (ww2 again) with a pretty large aperture.

I have a bunch of other strange lenses for my large format cameras, some of which wern't really meant to be photographic lenses. That's part of what I like about large format, you can mount just about anything to the front of the camera and still be able to focus since focusing is done by moving the entire front of the camera.
        [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
        www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Originally posted by Britain View Post
          Yes I read a lot of good things on the 28-300 even using the lens with an extender.

Looking at the 35mm F1/4L, might try and rent it first.
          Why a prime lens, Vern?
          Do you have the 24-70?
          ERIK

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
            Why a prime lens, Vern?
            Do you have the 24-70?
            I only have the 17-85 and its slow. I'm going to pick up a external intervalometer. I need a faster lens. I have a canyon which a mountain lion is snooping around getting big horn sheep. I'll set up the camera and let it snap though the night. What flash you using with the 28-300?
            97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
            WEB site

Comment

I am using the 580EX II lash with a Quantum Turbo Battery.
              http://www.qtm.com/index.php?option=...127&Itemid=249

The turbo battery lets me take a thousand photos with each one having the same power to the flash; even in high speed mode on the camera.
              I can hold down the button on the camera and it will lash over and over until the flash bursts into flames or shuts down from being over heated.
              Not that I have done this, but it is capable of doing so.

The 580 EX II flash is the best flash Canon makes. It is a serious flash with a lot of capabilities.
              ERIK

Comment

Erik,
                have you tried an extender on the 28-300 lens? More I read about the lens the better I like it.

Yup I guess that flash could burst into flames with that Turbo set up.

Camera equiment is worse then buying stuff the jeep.
                97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                WEB site

Comment

Working...
                X