Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCH. Bad, but oh so Good!

Okay... I know that this is a PHOTO thread, but these photos need a story beforehand and during to make it make work the best.

My wife, Sharon, and I celebrated our 19th wedding anniversary by planning a trip to the Napa & Sonoma wine countries and then a trip down the PCH from San Francisco to Cambria. From there, we planned to go into Paso Robles and wine taste a little more before heading home.

Great plan... But not so keen on the execution.

On Sept. 24th, we were on our way in our truck (not Jeep) to the planned NorCal destinations. We stopped for the night in Lost Hills only to find that the truck's transmission was seriously slipping. I couldn't get it to go into reverse when I went to park.

I called a friend in San Jose area who was willing to help find a transmission shop in the Bay area. The trip to ultimately the Sunnyvale area was 'dicey' to say the least. Upon inspection, a transmission rebuild was in order.

I had to put the truck into the shop. My friend was willing to tour us around while the truck was being worked on, so the photo adventure begins with a crossing of the Golden Gate Bridge:

By the time that I dropped off the truck to be worked on, the day had slipped into the afternoon, so wine tasting was limited to only a few places in Sonoma before we stopped in Novato to stay the night. The next morning, we took a trip to the Muir Woods to see the Redwoods. I have just got to say that the whole area is a photo extravaganza! Here are a couple of my favorites...

A shady stump and some uprooted tree roots in the background:

Looking up between a couple of the giants:

That evening, we found that our truck would not be finished in time for the drive home. We stayed with our friend in Sunnydale and then rented a car to drive home in on the next day.

We took the PCH, but we started south in Santa Cruz instead of San Francisco due to the delay. The trip was full of photo worthy sites, but my favorite was the McWay Falls:

I know that this is a photo thread, but the tide was coming in while we were there and the best way of capturing the moment was with video. Please check this out:

Further south along the PCH, just north of San Simeon, we captured the waves crashing:

We found Elephant Seals basking in the late afternoon sun:

You think it sucks when YOU have a head cold. Try dodging sharks with a nasal drip...:

The worst part of this trip (besides the dead transmission) was that we missed Napa completely and that we only had a short window to taste wines in Paso Robles by the time that we got there.

We headed home with the knowledge that we would have to return the next weekend to get the repaired truck.

The first trip to the area had record high temperatures set across all of California. We were lucky to have been along the cool coast during this heat wave!

The next weekend was diametrically opposed to this in weather for the season. We arrived in the cool, foggy weather that the bay area is infamous for. Crossing the Golden Gate bridge looked like this:

We headed for Napa to do some wine tasting and I have to say that this was a complete waste of time. If you care to know why I feel this way, catch me on a trail sometime and I'll share my observations. In a nutshell, we went back to the Sonoma area to taste and then stayed the night in the Bay area.

On Sunday, we took the PCH from Pacifica south to Santa Cruz. The day was cold and foggy. This didn't keep us from getting some cool photos along the way. Some of my favorites were at the old WWII bunker before the Devil's Slide area:

At the fantastic rock formations in Bean Hollow State Park:

And at the Pigeon Point Lighthouse:

Other than the 2200 dollars to get the transmission rebuilt, I have to say the the two weekends along the PCH were a wonderful (and quite photogenic) time.
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Bummer about the trans rebuilt, bitchin picks though makes me think back to the summer of 2007 when I took a trip down along the coast from San Fransisco
    I love Ford trucks, but their overdrive automatics definitely leave a bit to be desired.
    It's only money right Mike and Sharon I hope you two had a great time none the less

Comment

Great pics and trip report. Sucks that you have tranny problems
      Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

awesome pics guys , Mike here's a true story we did almost the exact same trip except the wine tasting about 5 weeks ago with a rental car since our dodge ram was having the transmission rebuilt in corona , we drove to san francisco area and back over a 5 day period up the coast......

Comment

Great pics Mike. Looks like you were still able to enjoy the time.
          Check out .

Comment

Great pics, thanks for sharing. Too bad about the transmission... problems like that quickly turn a weekend trip into a costly one!
            If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

I have soo many pictures from this exact spot. One of my favorite pics of me and my mom was taken here

So, your Found On Roadside Dead left you stranded? Imagine that... But you got to go back to SFO for another round. Did you find Luca's place I told you about?
              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Awesome pics Mike! 2200 bucks ... ouchy ... glad to see it didn't stop you guys from enjoying yourselves. 19 years . . . WOW . . . Congrats!
                That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Congrats on the anniversary Mike and Sharon,sorry for your troubles but sounds like you made the best of it.
                  Dennis and Tammy
                  Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Originally posted by FishPOET View Post
                    Great pics and trip report. Sucks that you have tranny problems
                    Hey! I thought that we weren't going to mention my tranny problems on the forum! Anyway, it was just a Halloween costume... really.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
                      Did you find Luca's place I told you about?
                      I looked for it but I must have missed it. We ended up eating dinner in Sonoma.

Here's a couple more pics that I really like from the trip:

Along the PCH:

The San Juan Bautista Mission:

[/COLOR]

Comment

Mike,

Nice non-Jeep stuff! LMAO I am glad you made it home safely.

Mitch

Comment

Beautiful pictures. I'd love to see the lighthouse.
                          SexyGrnEyedBrunette

Comment

Working...
                          X