Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dslr camera help

Im in the market for a dslr and i need some help. Im looking for something that will take great trail shots of jeeps, critters, and general nature scenes. Lets see what everyone has to say. Canon vs nikon? Ive also narrowed it down to several models from each make that looked interesting...canon eos xsi, canon eos t1i, canon eos 50d, nikon d90, nikon d60, and nikon d5000. Thanks everyone

Cant really go wrong with either of those lines ... I went with Canon as I have always been a Canon man. My DSLR is an XTi Rebel with the 17-85mm IS lens. The standard kit comes with the 18-55mm lens but I much prefer the 17-85 over that.

Having said that though, there are almost countless combinations and expansion options so there is often not one way to do things. For a starter DSLR though, I think I did ok and I have been very happy with with I got. By the way, plan to buy a separate (good) flash if you plan to do any indoor shooting. Filters and other accessories will also follow no doubt.
    03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
    "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Im kinda leaning towards the canons myself..im sure its going to be another expensive hobby...as if the heep wasnt expensive enough

Comment

Originally posted by ECHO View Post
        Im in the market for a dslr and i need some help. Im looking for something that will take great trail shots of jeeps, critters, and general nature scenes. Lets see what everyone has to say. Canon vs nikon? Ive also narrowed it down to several models from each make that looked interesting...canon eos xsi, canon eos t1i, canon eos 50d, nikon d90, nikon d60, and nikon d5000. Thanks everyone
        Canon is my preference. I shoot the Rebel XT and just got a brand new T1i. The T1i is leaps above the XT. Canon is very pricey, both bodies and lenses, but to me it's worth it. If you can afford the 50d that is a great buy, but as an entry level camera it is too expensive, at least for me. Make sure you get a good, water proof, dust proof carry case for your equipment; the trail can be brutal on these types of cameras, especially if you change lenses alot. All camera manufacturers have on line training and I recommend you use it. It really helps.
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Im looking at buying it from best buy. Is the 50d worth the 1300 buck pricetag? The t1i is 830 bucks and the xsi is 680 bucks. It looks like the "cheaper" ones both come with an ef-s 18-55 lens and the 50d comes with an ef 28-135 lens. This is my first dslr so i want something that takes great pics, easy to learn, and will last me a while. Thanks

Comment

Im looking at buying it from best buy. Is the 50d worth the 1300 buck pricetag? The t1i is 830 bucks and the xsi is 680 bucks. It looks like the "cheaper" ones both come with an ef-s 18-55 lens and the 50d comes with an ef 28-135 lens. This is my first dslr so i want something that takes great pics, easy to learn, and will last me a while. Thanks
            I just looked at that 50D when I was shopping. It's a great camera, but again, pricey for a beginner. I would suggest the T1i and here's why; it has most of the features of the 50D, has the 3" LCD which is very nice when viewing on the fly, the 18-55 lens is a nice starter lens and will do most of the stuff you want as far as trail work is concerned, and it's relatively easy to learn. The XSi is a lesser verison with less features, but all of the EOS series cameras take great pictures. So, large LCD, Mega Pixel rating, features and ease of use, as well as entry level price should help you decide. As with most cameras, with few exceptions, all Canon lenses will fit most Canon bodies, so if you upgrade to te 50D your lenses will work for you. IS lenses (Image Stabilized) are the best, but hurt the wallet badly. Use the 18-55 lens and get used to it before you go crazy buying lenses. You can dump as much or more $$ into the lenses as you do your jeep!

Comment

As usual I'm going to go against the grain and suggest that you look at the Olympus E-3 or E-30. Cheaper and takes just a good pictures. A few things I really like about my E-3 is that it's dust proof and splash proof which is great for the dusty trails. It's also lighter and easy to carry. I'm currently using an Olympus E-3 and E-510. I very happy with them.

Also keep in mind no matter which one you go with the lens is what's going to get you the nice shots. Might want to spend the money there instead of an over priced camera. You can't go wrong with any of those you're looking at.
              Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
                As usual I'm going to go against the grain and suggest that you look at the Olympus E-3 or E-30. Cheaper and takes just a good pictures. A few things I really like about my E-3 is that it's dust proof and splash proof which is great for the dusty trails. It's also lighter and easy to carry. I'm currently using an Olympus E-3 and E-510. I very happy with them.

Also keep in mind no matter which one you go with the lens is what's going to get you the nice shots. Might want to spend the money there instead of an over priced camera. You can't go wrong with any of those you're looking at.

I do agree with Chuck about Olympus. Very good equipment. I started with Olympus a long time ago with their film cameras, but somehow converted to Canon. Olympus cameras are very versitle. And less expensive. But you said you were looking at Nikon and Canon so I commented on those.

Comment

I think im going to stick with canon. I just priced the e3 and its 1400 bucks at best buy. That places it just out of reach for me. I think it would be best to go with the 830 buck t1i and pick up a good second lens. I appreciate the help in making my decision.

Comment

I think im going to stick with canon. I just priced the e3 and its 1400 bucks at best buy. That places it just out of reach for me. I think it would be best to go with the 830 buck t1i and pick up a good second lens. I appreciate the help in making my decision.
                    You'll like the D500 (T1i) it's a sweet rig...

Comment

Thanks for the help kurt. I think the t1i offers the most bang for the buck. I just noticed that the olympus with the 1400 buck price tag doesnt even come with a lens. The e3 looks like an awesome camera with an impressive shutter speed, but its a little more than i wanted to spend for a camera body. Now to take a trip to best buy. Thanks again everyone.

Comment

Good choice. You'll be happy. Make sure you post up some pics.
                        Check out .

Comment

Been a nikon fan since the old film days
                          Nikon has the glass, hands down
                          I know they lacked behind cannon till a few years ago in the DSLR category but have in the last 2 generations shot a few cannon shots across canons bow and are now in direct competition with them,
                          I run the D300, passed my D70 to my wife, both great set ups, the D 300 amazes me. I would suggest a D60 for a first timer to get into and learn with. If you want to step up to a better camera later go for it but that camera is better than most photographers.
                          Canon also makes great cameras, my little pocket size is a canon. Both brands are the leaders and will serve you good.
                          censored for having an opinion

Comment

Thanks for the help kurt. I think the t1i offers the most bang for the buck. I just noticed that the olympus with the 1400 buck price tag doesnt even come with a lens. The e3 looks like an awesome camera with an impressive shutter speed, but its a little more than i wanted to spend for a camera body. Now to take a trip to best buy. Thanks again everyone.

I highly recommend you take a trip to Sam's club for your camera. they have a much better return policy if there are problems, and their prices are also beter.

I picked up the Canon 50D from there a while ago and have enjoyed it.

The lenses is where you spend your money, but once you have them, they go from body to body within the same line of cameras.

food for thought.
                            >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                            ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Well, i went to best buy this morning and now im kinda stuck between the nikon d90 and the canon 50d. I looked at the t1i and it didnt feel as solid as the other 2. I probably sound like a poser because im letting "feel" decide for me and not capability. I guess its kinda like getting behind the wheel of a well built jeep. You just know right away by the "feel" that its going to take a beating and keep on going. Decisions decisions

Comment

Working...
                              X