Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Canon lens?

Here's a broad question, which lens do you use?

More specifically, which is your favorite for shooting on the trail? Including all the neat stuff you always post pics of... birds, critters, bugs, oh and jeeps of course.

I'm mostly wondering what kind of zoom I'm going to need - and the f-thingies too

Thanks a bunch!
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Originally posted by sarah View Post
    Here's a broad question, which lens do you use?

More specifically, which is your favorite for shooting on the trail? Including all the neat stuff you always post pics of... birds, critters, bugs, oh and jeeps of course.

I'm mostly wondering what kind of zoom I'm going to need - and the f-thingies too

Thanks a bunch!

What Canon body are you going to get or have?
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Canon?????
      Come to the dark side. Go Olympus.
      For the lens it depends on what your wanting to shoot. Personally I really like my telephoto. I use it for most of my wildlife shots, add a extension tube and you have a good macro lens. Macros are pricey and extension tubes are cheaper and take up less room. For my Jeep shots and landscape shots it's either my 14-42mm or my 40-150mm depending on the shot. Typically lenses with lower f-stops are more expensive and will give you less depth of field which is good for portraits and selective focus shots. Basically with DSLR your changing lenses frequently (at least I am) depending on what your shooting. That's why I have two bodies.
      Check out .

Comment

canon 24-70 f2.8 [COLOR="DarkRed"]L[/COLOR]$1,263.70

for the longer shots, i recommend the canon 70-200 IS[COLOR="DarkRed"]L [/COLOR]f2.8 $ 1,653.00

for the macro stuff, i recommend the canon 100mm 2.8 (non L)$ 469.95

get your pennies all in line before visiting B&H to buy this stuff as it is not a cheap date
        >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
        ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Thanks guys! 99.9% sure the Canon XSI. Just watching for a good deal.

P.S. Erik, did you find that Sigma?

Comment

i havent heard back from him on it yet,. i'll follow up today on it.
            >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
            ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
              Canon?????
              Come to the dark side. Go Olympus.
              For the lens it depends on what your wanting to shoot. Personally I really like my telephoto. I use it for most of my wildlife shots, add a extension tube and you have a good macro lens. Macros are pricey and extension tubes are cheaper and take up less room. For my Jeep shots and landscape shots it's either my 14-42mm or my 40-150mm depending on the shot. Typically lenses with lower f-stops are more expensive and will give you less depth of field which is good for portraits and selective focus shots. Basically with DSLR your changing lenses frequently (at least I am) depending on what your shooting. That's why I have two bodies.
              I did think about going to Olympus, but of course the Canon's and Nikon's always get better reviews. Being in the creative field, I am looking for something a little more advanced this time around - and I like the variety of lenses that Canon has to offer. Plus, it seems like most people here are using Canon, so I can be the newbie that buys all of the used stuff so everyone can upgrade It was a tough choice since seeing your camera though, it was nice and light and feature-packed. And your photos always come out beautifully!

Thanks for everyone's input - you all know how long I've been shopping for a DSLR! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by sarah View Post
                I did think about going to Olympus, but of course the Canon's and Nikon's always get better reviews. Being in the creative field, I am looking for something a little more advanced this time around - and I like the variety of lenses that Canon has to offer. Plus, it seems like most people here are using Canon, so I can be the newbie that buys all of the used stuff so everyone can upgrade It was a tough choice since seeing your camera though, it was nice and light and feature-packed. And your photos always come out beautifully!

Thanks for everyone's input - you all know how long I've been shopping for a DSLR! LOL!
                Cool! I have three lenses for sale right this minute! Let's deal! Or not. I love these. But I have three new ones I want to get. How bout I tell you what I want, you get them and let me use 'em? Sounds fair, right?
                [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

The Canon EF-15 F2.8 fisheye lens takes some great rigs shots on the trail.
                  97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                  WEB site

Comment

Ooo Kurt! Ok!! We can trade anytime. And/or I can buy your old stuff - woohoo! But you never told me which you like to use

A fisheye, eh? That sounds neato. Hmm... I think I want em all...

Comment

Kurt I just bought the rebel XSI and am looking for a macro lense you got something ?
                      I also need some of your help with my ARB one of these days !!
                      moon buggy
                      5.3, turbo 350, Atlas 4.3, 9" front rear

Comment

[QUOTE=sarah;117073]Thanks guys! 99.9% sure the Canon XSI. Just watching for a good deal.

Sarah this is a good time to wheel and deal on a new camera, i found a cheap price at another store and circuit city beat it for me.
                        moon buggy
                        5.3, turbo 350, Atlas 4.3, 9" front rear

Comment

I use one lens all the time pretty much. It's incredibly sharp and fast. It's the Canon 16-35mm F2.8 [COLOR="Red"]L[/COLOR] MkII

Very well built, tough metal lens, comes with a hood that protects the glass elements, after over a year of lots of dusty trails, it has no internal dust at all (well sealed!), unlike some of my cheapo lenses that I have since disposed of.

My "best" lens, but is impracticle on the trail, is the 70-200mm F2.8 [COLOR="Red"]L[/COLOR] that Erik posted. There isn't a better lens on the planet for sharpness and performance, but it's hefty and not cheap.

My most fun lens is the wide angle Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM. It's my only remaining non-[COLOR="Red"]L[/COLOR] lens, but it's held up very well, and is under $800 I think.

I previously posted what you can do with this lens here.

My 16-35 is just stellar though. There are thousands of photos on my website shot with that lens. Take a gander here: http://nwoods.smugmug.com/

Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                          Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                          HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Looking at my Canon Rebel XTi (needn to shoot a few pictures today at LAX), it has the EFS 18-55mm on it. I think I do about 80% with that one.

I borrowed a buddy's uber wide angle for the balloon fiesta - don't know the specs but it was very impressive.
                            Jeff
                            OHV76V
                            KG6TY
                            You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Ooo!! Thanks for the tips and photos. I got the cheapo kit lens for now, 18-55. I will be saving up for something better in the coming months, as well as paying attention to what ya'll are using. Especially you, Nate Love your photos!

I'm mostly just excited to be going from 4mp to 12mp! (Canon XSi) I'll finally be able to print bigger than 8x10! LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X