Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why dont more peopledo spring over axles swaps?

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why dont more peopledo spring over axles swaps?

I was just wondering why more people dont do the spring over axle conversion?

from what i have been reading is its a great way to get lift and even articulates pretty good.(considering it uses stock suspension)
    80 cj5- under going sbc swap, dana 60 and 14 bolt sping overs
    86 cj7- stock.

It does both the things you mentioned, and is relatively inexpensive. However, it does increase spring wrap quite a bit. So springs tend not to last as long. Currently lots of manufacturers make very good leaf spring that provide significant lift for spring under scenarios. Many would say these perform better that SOA set-ups. Rubicon Express does have a spring specifically for SOA set-ups, which I have heard good things about. I personally run SOA and do not mind the draw backs. You should note that doing an SOA alone will put a significant angle in your tie rod - drag link set-up, and this will cause a great deal of bump steer. I would recommend doing a hi-steer conversion at the same time.........this will add to the cost.

I am sure others on this board have much more insight into this topic than I can provide, but that was my $0.02.
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

As mentioned, there's a lot more involved in an SOA than just putting the springs on top of the axle. I run the RE Spring-Over springs in the rear, and I still needed the Sam's Offorad traction bar to control axle wrap.

Steering becomes an issue as well, and you need to consider everything you normally would with a lift:

Longer driveshafts, weird steering angles, etc. The amount of lift you get from a spring-over exaggerates this even more.
      '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

I just finished my spring over conversion. I would say that using your stock springs is not an option at all. I had mine sitting on the stock springs while I was waiting for my Alcan springs to show up. one trip up the articulation ramp and I bent two of them!!. On the other side soa seems to provide the best ride and articulation that you can get from a leaf spring. like everyone says it's the same as any lift, you will create problem as fast as you can repair them. But when you get it all worked out soa works really well.
        '79 cj7, SOA. shackle reverse, custom cage, flow master, holly carb, 35" maxxis tires, custom bumpers and rockers, dana 44's locked, bead locks

Comment

right after i went soa i killed four stock front springs. we had a bunch in the back.i bought some old man emu springs and have not had any problems yet.

Comment

Why folks don't do, or better said some of what it takes to do it right:

Hi-steer conversion
            Need rear anti-axle wrap device
            Should relocate upper shock mounts to maximize axle travel.
            Proper leaf springs. (stock springs won't last long, they'll "S" themselves or go into negative arch)
            Longer brake lines.

Comment

Alot of people don't do it because they can take their pick of several SUA kits that will work pretty well right out of the box.

SOA, in most cases, takes some forethought & a good game plan if you want to take advantage of what it has to offer.

There are a few SOA "kits" out there. However, I would avoid them as they seriously lack what a good SOA will do for you if you do your homework. Several parts in those kits are a waist, plus, most of them have you leaving your old SUA mounts still under there which should be avoided if you want to take advantage of being SOA.

I pieced together my SOA after doing mucho homework. I feel it's far superior than any SOA kit on the market.

Comment

I hear ya... ive been considering doing a set of rockwell axles and that would be a good time to convert to a soa.....

got any pics of your setup
                80 cj5- under going sbc swap, dana 60 and 14 bolt sping overs
                86 cj7- stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Long&Low View Post
                  Why folks don't do, or better said some of what it takes to do it right:

Hi-steer conversion
                  Need rear anti-axle wrap device
                  Should relocate upper shock mounts to maximize axle travel.
                  Proper leaf springs. (stock springs won't last long, they'll "S" themselves or go into negative arch)
                  Longer brake lines.
                  A BIG X2

Its NOT a free lunch as many think and it opens a whole new can of worms.
                  Don Scottsdale, AZ
                  savagesun4x4.com

Comment

does anyone know a good web site that goes through the whole thing...breaks it down barny style with pics and all? im thinking of an SOA too, but have heard it has to be done just right not to have bad problems later.

Comment

Working...
                    X