Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm taking over

Have a RE 4.5" superflex kit... was looking to have my local 4wd shop install it for me but they kept giving me the run around and jacking up their prices all within 2 months. So I called a buddy of mine that knows jeeps and we are going to install it ourselves...my question is that new to RE has anyone had any problems that we need to look out for( any fab work?)? Also adding a sye and new drive shaft.

The SYE takes at least more than basic mechanical skills and tools. You need to have a pretty good understanding of how your T-case works, and you need to be comfortable taking it down to a bare case.

That said, it's really not that hard to do. The RE LA kit is well designed and the instructions are fairly clear. You shouldn't have too much trouble putting it on in a driveway. I forget if it requires any welding. For sure some cutting, though.

Order the driveshaft AFTER you do everything else. With the vehicle sitting at ride height and all of the weight on the suspension, measure from the flange of each yoke to get your driveshaft dimensions and then call your driveline shop of choice and have it made.
    '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

Its a short arm kit, but i think that should make it easier.

Comment

Short arm kits are very easy to install. Rubicon gives excellent directions. If you have basic mechanic skills you will be fine.
        :wink:

Comment

No problem at all. Easily done in a day in the driveway w/o airtools. Much less with a rack and power.
          I can break a steel ball in a rubber room.
          Shaffers Offroad - El Diablo III - Soon!

Comment

good news thanks

Comment

here is a pretty good video on about installing a sye

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hGpjCAkOvk

Comment

Working...
              X