Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• air shocks

has any one else run air shocks in there jeep? with a lift? was it good or bad? i had good luck with mine until this morning when the rubber part blew out on me. i do not have a lift yet, the shocks are monroe air shocks are gambrel shocks any better?
    wrench, wheel, wreck, repeat.:yay: :shout:MUD MUD MUD I LOVE MUD CANT GO AROUND IT GOTA GO THROUGH IT!!

i havent run airshocks since way back, but i cant see it hurting anything, do you tow or carry heavy loads ? why the air shocks may i ask?

Comment

air shocks

the trailer i haul is a 4x8 utility trailer that is very lite and usually only has a snowmobile or a 3 wheeler. as for why the air shocks i bought a new set of 235-75-15r mud tires and they were much bigger tires than my street tires of the same size, so i needed more clearence and they would work with a 3" lift. oh yea my rear leaf packs are original and sag quite a bit.
      wrench, wheel, wreck, repeat.:yay: :shout:MUD MUD MUD I LOVE MUD CANT GO AROUND IT GOTA GO THROUGH IT!!

Comment

sounds like there working for you stick with them, but if you start wheelin much, or when you lift it, you might want to just lose them. i pulled a pop up trailer with mine with no probs, 4.5 lift regular shocks,

Comment

there's airshocks and airshocks....for the price, monroes and similar offer a good way of tuning ride height etc when you load up your rig, and I know a few people who've had good luck with them. But if you don't need the ride heght adjustability, or you need long stroke/long travel, I'd stick with a basic Rancho or Bilstein NON air shock.

Big problem with air shocks is the abuse the shock takes when the air is compressed. A standard oil shock will heat up because of the constant compression and the oil flowing through the internal orifices, but as the oil doesn't expand the internal pressures are pretty much constant. In an air shock as the shock goes through the same cycle as a standard shock, both the air and the oil heat up, but in this case the air expands dramatically, putting a lot of extra pressure on the seals and the longer the stroke the worse the get

I played around in an Fox air shocked rock racer a while back and after a few fast runs, it was funny to see that the shox had expanded from the original ride height by 2+ inches just from the air expanding....

just my 2.35cents
          Mighty 4 banger YJ, 35's,4.88's, 30 splines, Detroits, 4.5" lift, TJ flares, Scorpion Offroad stuff, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

Working...
          X