Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Plan

Well, here is the plan...

2005 Unlimited stock will get a Full Traction "Ultimate" 4" lift with a set of new 33s. This is a short-arm lift but after much searching and reading of the various boards, and with the adjustable trac arms that come with the kit, I do not think I will have any real pavement drivability issues.

I, admittedly, have not done much looking at tires - width wise - though I plan on getting them through The Tire Rack with whom I've worked in the past and had good results. So I suppose there may be some backspacing issues I would need to get smart on if I was to go with tires much wider than stock. And I still need to figure out shocks though that does not seem too difficult - more a matter of who I chose to buy them from.

I also have some armoring to do, and new bumpers. If I'm estimating correctly, the 4" lift will give me 3-3.5" of lift after it settles in and I add the weight from the new bumpers and winch. As far as skids go I will get rockers, steering box, and gas tank. Looking at Shrockworks for bumpers and rockers and Skid Row for the rest of the skids.

There seems to be some debate about whether to get bumpers and armor first (get the weight on) and then do the lift. Or do the lift first, buying the right kit with future use in mind, and then add the rest later. I think the latter actually makes the most ssense, but since I am going to need new tires soon, it seems counterproductive to buy the "wrong" size of tires for a few months, only to have to go out and buy another set when I put the lift on.

I can't start until I get home at the end of January, and I figure by the time everything is bought and delivered this will end up being a March project.

I have the right tools, I have access to an Auto Shop with lift, etc., and my partner in crime has extensive wrenching experience on his CJ. Given these factors (and professionals mounting the tires, doing alignment) is this a weekend project? The rig is also my daily driver.

Am I missing something other than what felony offense I'm going to have to pull off in order to pay for all of this? Thanks in advance.

Most bolt on lifts are a weekend affair if you have a reasonable amount of knowledge and the right tools. With knowledgable help, it goes much faster. Skid plates, etc don't take nearly as long, and don't keep the vehicle in a state where you cannot simply stop and drive away within an hour. So there should be no problems with you getting back on the road after a weekend of wrenching (assuming you don't have any unforseen problems).

As for lift of armour first.....I say cover the critical stuff first (steering box, rockers, oil pan, lower front link pockets). The gas tank is fairly well protected from '03 on, assuming you are not dragging the thing through really tough trails (hammers.....). If you don't know the jeep really well, cover the front diff too. A non lifted jeep with good skid plates is going to be more forgiving than a lifted jeep with no skid plates. Wait on new tires until you have the lift. If you need to fill a short gap in tire life....buy a used set from someone, run those until you get the lift and new tires, then sell the used set.
    olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Thanks - had not thought about used tires. If I time things right I would like to link the new tires and the lift simultaneously - I think the current set of tires will last until then. If not, I'll be back on the board looking!

I'm driving it stock on the mining trails right now...I just drive very conservatively and if it looks bad, I don't go - especially if I'm by myself which I often am. The dogs are good companions but they don't know crap about trying to pick up the remnants of a transfer case in the middle of nowhere.

Which is also why I'm doing the build - right now my safety plan generally revolves around letting someone know where I'm going and then staying within 12-15 miles of help...part of a night's walk. Where I live I don't necessarily need to touch pavement to get to work, so getting a chance to play in dirt is a daily occurrence I just don't have the self-discipline to avoid. Plus - driving 15 minutes into the hinterland to walk the dogs is a lot more fun than putting them on a leash in the neighborhood.

A more capable rig is going to be another layer of risk mitigation. I had planned on waiting until after the lift, but if I can afford to drop a little money there is no reason not to get started with rockers and skids right away. Thanks...

Comment

Working...
      X