Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OME lift installed.

OK so a buddy and I were able to install a new 2" OME lift on my TJ this weekend. unfortunately for all of you people sniffing around out there, i don't have any pics and i'm too tired and physically unable to sit for long periods of time, otherwise there would be a *totally sweet* write-up just below. good news is you can find many other write-ups online, probably from much more mechanically adept persons than myself, so it's probably better that i do not pollute your brain anyway.

Here's the short. HD OME lift yielded 2.5" overall. 3" in the back and just about 2.5" at the front bumper. had serious "death wobble" after install which I have now successfully reduced to "meek vibration" just around 45 mph. will hopefully be cured with an alignment this week. my front axle has also netted a 1/2" "adjustment" to the driver's side of the frame due to the front track bar not having a relocation bracket. needless to say i will now be ordering an adjustable track bar in the near future.

the only thing i've learned this weekend is that a TJ (or YJ or CJ) is about the most simple piece of machinery in existence. one year ago i didn't know more than how to change oil and spark plugs and just this weekend I've almost completely disassembled and re-assembled a complete suspension and steering system for my vehicle. not bad.

actually there are a few other things i have learned this weekend. 1. ratchet straps can successfully be used as spring compressors (i am DUMB - do not try this). 2. ratchet straps can successfully be used to pull axles or suspension links back into alignment after you install your lift and none of the original links bolt back into their holes. 3. hi-lifts, when used properly, will convince just about any piece of metal to move or bend just about anywhere.

i'll write up a little bit more of the nitty-gritty when i can full engage my brain and fingers once again.
    03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Outstanding Mike!!!!
    You are now a wheeln, wrenching TJ machine!!!! Your next trail run will be quite a new experience with this lift. Congratulations!
    Death wobble at 45 mph. yeah I know that one. I changed out my stock steering shock for a H.D. one, had the new big tires balanced and the problem is gone.

Lets go ride somewhere!!!!
    (uhh...no J.V. Hammers yet)
    "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
    (Charles Wells)

Comment

I'd appreciate the write-up and tips! I'm planning OME next year so tips would be great! I'm sure I'll figure out a few on my own too!

My Jeep needs too much damn money... it wants an axle swap (d44 + sye/adjustable rear uppers, regear, ARBs front/rear, lift, tires, armor, etc.etc.etc. (not necessarily in that order)

Hopefully I can get the majority of that done next year w/o breaking the bank (or then marriage... LoL)
      If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
        I'd appreciate the write-up and tips! I'm planning OME next year so tips would be great! I'm sure I'll figure out a few on my own too!

My Jeep needs too much damn money... it wants an axle swap (d44 + sye/adjustable rear uppers, regear, ARBs front/rear, lift, tires, armor, etc.etc.etc. (not necessarily in that order)

Hopefully I can get the majority of that done next year w/o breaking the bank (or then marriage... LoL)
        lol.....
        Well, I know you have read this too...
        j just
        e empty
        e every
        p pocket.

ps. call me when you work on your jeep.
        "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
        (Charles Wells)

Comment

Sweet man, cant wait to see the Jeep.
          |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Originally posted by swbooking View Post
            Sweet man, cant wait to see the Jeep.
            looks the same as before, only taller.
            03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

Originally posted by Mtbikbob View Post
              lol.....
              Well, I know you have read this too...
              j just
              e empty
              e every
              p pocket.

ps. call me when you work on your jeep.
              Hate to tell you this, but when I work on my Jeep it's either on Fontana at my mom's place, at work (you know where that is now!) or in Hemet at Tiffany's parents' place. I guess it wouldn't be too bad if it was at my work. I don't have a garage at my condo, so I am forced to do work elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
                Hate to tell you this, but when I work on my Jeep it's either on Fontana at my mom's place, at work (you know where that is now!) or in Hemet at Tiffany's parents' place. I guess it wouldn't be too bad if it was at my work. I don't have a garage at my condo, so I am forced to do work elsewhere.
                I do most of my work in my drive way in Springs. Ive worked out there when it like 30* at night, with two work lights and my buddy. haha Come on by next time ou need work done. It will be fun haha
                |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Originally posted by swbooking View Post
                  I do most of my work in my drive way in Springs. Ive worked out there when it like 30* at night, with two work lights and my buddy. haha Come on by next time ou need work done. It will be fun haha
                  Problem is my tools are all at my mom's house in the garage. I only do small stuff here at work, or in Hemet, Tiffany's step dad has a plethera of tools I can use. I'll think about it, it's always nice having an extra set of hands!

Comment

haha i got pretty much all the tools youll need. but anytime.

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

AMEN on the ratchet straps bro!!! I just installed the RE 2" BB last weekend. If it wasnt for the ratchet strap I would of never got the track bar back in place! and I dont know about you guys on the west coast but eh RUST FAKKIN SUCKS BALLS!!!! a buddy of mine put the same lift on his new rubicon in and hour and a half...it took us 7 hrs and a sratched cornia with all the damn rusted crap on my 02! at least im not just stock anymore though!!!
                      Just trying to get to Cali!

Comment

sounds great. looking forward to seeing pics.

Comment

Working...
                        X