Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lift question

I am about as mechanical as a librarian...how hard would it be for me to install a lift. and what is the diff between body lift and suspension lift? Thanks

Well Its really not that hard, All you need is basic hand tools, Ratchets, large sockets, Jack Stands, a jack, Brake Fluid, and Your kit. The difference between a body lift and a suspension lift is, a body list is basically lift blocks that are mounted in between your frame and the actual body of your Jeep, a suspension lift (depending on the size) changes, your upper and lower control arms, brake lines, leaf springs, shackles, gives you a sway bar disconect kit, springs, bump stops, shocks, transfer case drop (CV Driveshaft, and SYE kit if thats one route you take) and im sure theres a little more just cant think of it right now. Its best to do this with one or two friends, makes everything a lot easier. I did mine with CJBrian (on this fourm) and it took us about 10 hours (given that Brian did most of it) with a lunch break and a few stops at the auto parts store. Any other questions let us know. Glad to help.
    -Allen
    |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

do you recommend one over the other?Body or suspension? I have 30' tires. Would new shocks and larger tires lift it a couple inches?

Comment

What most people do is like a 3.5" suspension lift and a 1 - 1.5" body lift. The body lift basically just helps your panels get a little higher and stay out of the rocks. Yeah the larger tires will bring it up a little but probably not a dramatic lift. and Just changing the shocks wouldnt give you lift. and if you do go with larger tires, you might have to start thinking about regearing because the larger tires will cause you to go "slower" because it will take more for your engine to turn the bigger tires.
        Last edited by swbooking; 11-09-06, 02:49 PM.
        |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

New shocks wont lift your jeep. When you do a suspension lift you install new longer shock because the distance from your axles to your frame has gone up. Thats why you dont have to do shocks with a body lift (cheaper).

Larger tires will lift you jeep and give you more clearance under your axles but if you dont have room in your wheels wells the larger tires will hit. Thats why we do body or suspension lifts.

If you are going to take your jeep off road then do a suspension lift. If you just want the look of having bigger tires then do a body lift but not too much it starts to put things out of whack.
          Originally posted by Wil39
          do you recommend one over the other?Body or suspension? I have 30' tires. Would new shocks and larger tires lift it a couple inches?

Comment

then again you could just cut up your fenders to make them fit, I just did the fronts on my XJ cause when i flexed, it would push into my fender and mess them all up.

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

How much did you take off?

Comment

Basically just cut the flare off, so like 2-3 inches, It looks good, I just have to do the rears on friday and get some of that fender molding/trim to push on to it and im gonna seal it up with some black or clear silicone so it wont rust.

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Originally posted by swbooking
                  Basically just cut the flare off, so like 2-3 inches, It looks good, I just have to do the rears on friday and get some of that fender molding/trim to push on to it and im gonna seal it up with some black or clear silicone so it wont rust.
                  Be careful of those fingers when using power tools... :tongue: :wink:
                  If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

HAHA its all done and i still got all my fingers! YAY Thanks for the tip though.

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Working...
                    X