Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with ideas on a lift???

Hey everyone, I was wondering what I should be expecting to pay for a SOA on my YJ?I am wanting to do it, but I dont know how to weld and dont really know anyone that can do it! I am stuck on what lift to get, I already have 33's for my YJ,Now I just need a lift.Any Ideas?I am kinda on a budget.Thx.

Charlie

i would stick with stock yj springs. it should yield around 5.5-6" (corrected by old fart) lift after the SOA

it should be relatively cheap. whatever shop you go through will need to buy new spring pads and weld them on to the top. it should be a max of a 2 hour job so i am guessing around $250-350

Mounts- $100
    Labor- $180 (2 hours@ $90/hour)
    Drop Pitman (*maybe*) $80

$280 w/o pitman arm install

*edit* I wasnt thinking. forgot those pesky peices of spring steel will probably get in the way if the steering components. so dont listen to what i said
    Last edited by Brice; 07-11-06, 10:09 AM.
    And NEVER call her by her friends name, unless you know how to fake a seizure

Comment

More like 5-5-1/2"" plus lift - at a minimum you're "getting" the diameter of the axle tube plus the perch dimension.

Not sure I'd invest in a SOA for 33's, VERY easy to clear that size tire 4" SUA.

Some good reading material here: http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/soa.html

Correcting the steering is just a wee bit more complicated than a "maybe" pitman arm
      Jeff
      OHV76V
      KG6TY
      You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Soa

There is a little more to do then just welding the perches on top of the axel. There are alignment problems to deal with and in my case was done with the origonal springs and add-a-leafs which the leafs had to be changed out after six months because the sagged too much. I'm a little hard on equipment. You might encounter driveline angle problems as you are lifting appox 6" when you go SOA.
        Was busy typing when Jeff added his comments. I agree with what he said. Also you will need longer travel shocks as well.
        Last edited by TDS SD; 07-11-06, 10:13 AM.

Comment

That's what's keeping me from going to SOA _right now_. Back is easy enough (I'll run the Rancho RS 44044's), but my front "high steer" components are (you guessed it) - right in the &^%! way!

I've participated in half a dozen of these - NOT a weekend project unless you've got all the ducks in a very straight row

IMHO - not worth the hassle for 33's. And definately wouldn't consider it on a Dana 35 (large fishing weight with brakes attached)
          Jeff
          OHV76V
          KG6TY

Comment

Thx for the input fellas!!!

If i was to buy a 4" lift, what kits are the best bang for your buck?

Charlie

Comment

I was very happy with the Rubicon Express 4.5" Extreme Duty system.

I think this is a good step for 33s.

Then if you really get crazy you can go SOA when you have more experience.
              "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

I think you'll hear Rubicon Express 4.5" from alot of folks. I know that's probably the way I would go when I do over again. Right now my '85 CJ7 came with a 2 1/2" Superlift.....UGH! It is so harsh that new springs have moved up on my list of "to do's". My '86 CJ7 ran 4" Pro Comps. Most folks will tell you they very harsh too. My experience has not been that bad though and I have been pleased with them. In fact since the '86 is being parted out I'm thinking I'll be putting those on the '85.

Also remember when you're looking at 4" or above lifts on your YJ you're probably gonna need to look at a slip yoke eliminator also which will add more cost to your lift.

Comment

I had one of the "original" 4" Superlifts (which they later decided to market more honestly as a 3-1/2" lift) - was "OK", but nothing special.

Unless ProComp has changed their spring metallurgy a lot, they're very, very stiff.

SYE is a "do it now or do it later" proposition - but you will do it eventually
                  Jeff
                  OHV76V
                  KG6TY

Comment

re and bds are probably the top 2 to go with. im going to be ordering the bds in about 2 months for my yj. you get lifetime warranty cant go wrong their.

Comment

plus.. why not do a sweet axle swap when you do your spoa. it is easier that going back to do it again. the cost of the accual lift is not bad.. but then you have to worry about steering.. shocks.. shock mounting.. sye.. drivelines.. gearing.. not as cheep as some think. i spent about 4500-5000 for mine. i did dana 44 swap and locker front and rear. but if you want to just keep same axles and open..you could get it done for about 2500 i think if you do all the work your self. went to shaffers offroad and saw what it would cost to do mine and they said about 10,000 so it is alot cheeper to do the work yourself like i did.
                      therockgods.com 1.)1989 YJ SPOA 38s(possilby for sale)2.)1991 Cherokee DD 3.)1975 International Truggy in progress...

Comment

Working...
                      X