Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Disco Question?

Getting a knock coming from the front when hitting a bump or when hitting the brakes while turning into a parking space. Pretty shure is something with the sway bar/disconnects because it does not doit with the swaybar disconnected.

My question is should the bolts attaching the upper disconnect part to the swaybar spin freely inside the swaybar hole?

Found this out while trying to tighten the nut on the swaybar.

Any inout would be appreciated.

JP.
    :beer: Is Good.....

Originally posted by jetmech
    Getting a knock coming from the front when hitting a bump or when hitting the brakes while turning into a parking space. Pretty shure is something with the sway bar/disconnects because it does not doit with the swaybar disconnected.

My question is should the bolts attaching the upper disconnect part to the swaybar spin freely inside the swaybar hole?
    Found this out while trying to tighten the nut on the swaybar.

Any inout would be appreciated.

JP.
    I'm pretty darn sure that those bolts should be tight. I know that mine is. Sounds like that may be your problem.
    -Bob
    '98 Black TJ [COLOR=Blue]Sport[/COLOR] 4.0L/Auto Trans

My rig : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg

Comment

i think the bolts can be loose...mine wiggle around and twist when I disco the lower part of the arm at the axles.

in my estimation, if the upper joint was not supposed to rotate or move, there would be no reason for the ball joint located there.
      03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

Originally posted by maddmike
        i think the bolts can be loose...mine wiggle around and twist when I disco the lower part of the arm at the axles.

in my estimation, if the upper joint was not supposed to rotate or move, there would be no reason for the ball joint located there.
        I'm a little confused here. I don't have my stock swaybar links anymore, but IIRC, the nut that attaches them to the sway bar should be tight (partly why the links have the cone shaped shaft) , and the only movement SHOULD be with the ball joint located there (?) Someone correct me if I'm wrong...
        -Bob
        '98 Black TJ [COLOR=Blue]Sport[/COLOR] 4.0L/Auto Trans

My rig : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by steelman
          I'm a little confused here. I don't have my stock swaybar links anymore, but IIRC, the nut that attaches them to the sway bar should be tight (partly why the links have the cone shaped shaft) , and the only movement SHOULD be with the ball joint located there (?) Someone correct me if I'm wrong...
          sorry, my verbeage is totally incorrect and unclear. the original question is: should the bolts spin freely inside the hole at the sway bar end? answer: no, the bolts should be tight but the ball joint (inside the rubber boot) should move freely even with the bolt tightened, which in turn allows the sway bar link arm to move freely in all directions.

I think this confirms what you already said, I just happened to fail comprehensive reading as a child so i didnt understand the posts...:dunno:
          03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

Working...
          X