Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noob looking for some input

Hello everyone, I'm new to this site. I have a '97 cherokee sport and I'm looking to lift it, but I have a couple of questions I hope you all can help me with. For starters I am on a really tight budget so im lookin to go cheap, and i dont need anything to great, itll just be the occasional weekend trail ride. This is what im leaning to so far <http://www.rocky-road.com/xjbudget.html> Think it is is as good as they claim it to be? and if so what do you think of the shocks they have availalbe for the 3 inch application?

Also, for a 3" lift do I need to take anything else into consideration, like brake lines and things like that?

sorry for the long post, any help will be greatly appreciated,
    thanks

Depends on your budget. I pieced together a 4" lift for my XJ for around $500. All it takes is a little patience and some looking.
    That might be an option for you.

For the brake lines, I think you can relocate them a little to get somemore length out of them.
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by XJ_L5
      Hello everyone, I'm new to this site. I have a '97 cherokee sport and I'm looking to lift it, but I have a couple of questions I hope you all can help me with. For starters I am on a really tight budget so im lookin to go cheap, and i dont need anything to great, itll just be the occasional weekend trail ride. This is what im leaning to so far <http://www.rocky-road.com/xjbudget.html> Think it is is as good as they claim it to be? and if so what do you think of the shocks they have availalbe for the 3 inch application?

Also, for a 3" lift do I need to take anything else into consideration, like brake lines and things like that?

sorry for the long post, any help will be greatly appreciated,
      thanks
      well, consider brake lines, driveshafts, steering, suspension...and all the nickel and dime nuts, bolts, and other crap. Is it sprung over? The more you do with a few buddies (and beer AFTERWARDS!) the lower your cost will be.
      "run forest, run!"

Comment

lift

that lift will work fine, if your just doing a bb you wont have to do anything else if you dont want, id get shocks if you plan on flexing, brake lines can be moved, get some tires and you should be set. ///Kevin

Comment

I did a 2" lift on mine...all I used were some modified (cut) pro-comp coils for the front and blocks in the rear. It works very well, but it would be better if I had shocks that were for this application. I can fit 31's and not rub when on asphalt (turning)...and haven't seemed to have much problems up in the hills. All total cost for my 2" lift was about $45.00. It was especially nice that my buddy gave me his old coils for mine, so I just drove down to the nearest auto parts store and picked up the rear blocks.
          MY JEEP ROCKS... DOES YOURS'?

Redneck small talk:
          D'jeet? No, d'ju? Yump-to? Aiaght.

Comment

Check these out:
            http://www.rubiconexpress.com/dynami...p?folderid=185

The 2" kits come with shocks. You will need to budget in shocks for the taller kits, but they do come with brake lines.
            RE makes great kits.

My $0.02 is avoid blocks if at all possible.
            DesertYJ
            29 Palms
            "I Love It When She Crawls On All 4's"

Comment

rough country 4.5 for under 500 bucks

Originally posted by XJ_L5
              I have a '97 cherokee sport and I'm looking to lift it, but I have a couple of questions I hope you all can help me with. For starters I am on a really tight budget so im lookin to go cheap
              here is a 4.5 lift kit complete with shocks for under 500 bucks to your door.
              http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_4.html

ALSO) subscribe to JP magazine, there is always lots of cool deals and good tech articles in there....MATT
              Last edited by Matt2001TJ; 09-23-06, 03:18 AM.
              "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

Rocky Road 2 inch

I used a Rocky Road kit with the Bar Pin Eliminators (BPEs), spacer and heavy duty shackles.
                Instructions are non existent. Price was right. A lot of work but worth the price. On a 97 you will need to drop the transfer case or use a SYE and CV Driveshaft.
                I fabbed the TC drop but will eventually do a SYE and DS.
                Took out the rear sway bar and added urethane busings to front sway bar (when not disconnected).
                Put some skid plates on it and some tire and U are ready for the trail.
                Oh yeah, recovery hooks..I used a front "Hidden Hitch" for the front.
                I have done testing at Hollister Hills as well as the Nevada City area and it ran flawlessly on the blues and greens. Small rock piles are good too.

You can add a 3 inch coil and leaf to this later when you have more $$$$. Then you would have 5.
                http://www.lp2aenergy.com/PDF/97XJ/P9040018.JPG
                Last edited by AlohaBra; 09-27-06, 08:15 AM.
                Aloha from NorCal

Comment

Working...
                X