Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spring over

i have had several of my friends tell me i should flip the springs on my jeep and i am to the point where i really want to do it now, i was just wondering what parts i will need to buy for this little project, i already know i will need the drop pitman arm and the tail shaft kit to reduce the angle of the driveline but i was wondering if there was anything else that i was going to need. My jeep is a 1993 Wrangler YJ and i have installed a 3 inch bodylift on it. Any input would be appriciated. Also how much lift does it actually give?

it gives you about 6" of lift.
    it is not an inexpensive undertaking as some may have you believe.
    you'll be replacing springs regularly unless you get some good ones that are designed to be sprung over. RE makes some as does Deaver. both are just as much or more than buying lift springs.

you'll have to address your steering, and axle wrap in the back. more money.
    youll be able to clear 35" tires easily.
    shocks, ... more money.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

X2 on Nailer's comments.

Plus ebrake cable and brake line stretch. You will need solid fabrication skills and equipment. New spring perches and setting the pinion angle takes some thought.

I have the RE reverse eye extreme duty blah blah springs and I am changing them out.

The extra lift and clearance is great but axle wrap and steering are two issues that cause grief.

With SOA you could probably reduce your body lift to 1"
      "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Definitly plan on using different springs. I tried running stocker back in the day when I first did my SOA and they banana'd really bad. Sometimes they would wrap so bad my pinion would be pointed almost vertical at the floor. Im now running custom Alcan springs that are snail wrapped and have zero wrap issues without an anti-wrap bar. Take all your time and get everything you need before jumping into it. If you plan on keeping the stock D30 front axle just get a MORE steering kit, brake lines can be moved down to route under the frame in the front and you can get away with the stock ones. Driveline kit, pitman arm, and RE perches. Its not that hard to do. I did mine with a buddy (first time for both of us) in about 5-hours including swapping in an 8.8 rear.
        90 YJ, 40" MTR's, 102 WB, 5.13's, 4.1, & stuff

Comment

Originally posted by RoCkSkuLLz
          Im now running custom Alcan springs that are snail wrapped and have zero wrap issues without an anti-wrap bar.
          Yeah Cool - I just ordered Alcan springs :thumbs_up

....and I'm moving the axle back 7" woo hoo, can't wait.

Comment

Originally posted by aston
            Yeah Cool - I just ordered Alcan springs :thumbs_up

....and I'm moving the axle back 7" woo hoo, can't wait.

Where are you putting your tank?

I'm thinking this time next year I'll stretch the rear some more. Maybe the BTF tank?

Just finished moving the front axle 4" forward, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Pascoe
              Where are you putting your tank?

I'm thinking this time next year I'll stretch the rear some more. Maybe the BTF tank?

I found a fuel cell at 30x17x7 and I plan to squeeze it ahead of the rear axle. I didn't want to take up dog room in the back

Comment

Ok this is a rookie question, but how could I move my front axle forward and the rear one rearward when the spring shackle mounts are already at the very end of the frame on ethier end? Do I need different leaf springs?
                I have a Jeep

Comment

I used an RCI cell and dropped it into my tub. (half in half out) to keep the COG lower.

90 YJ, 40" MTR's, 102 WB, 5.13's, 4.1, & stuff

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboysfc
                    Ok this is a rookie question, but how could I move my front axle forward and the rear one rearward when the spring shackle mounts are already at the very end of the frame on ethier end? Do I need different leaf springs?
                    You move the shackle hanger by adding more structure see rockskullz pics. You then use springs with an off-set center pin. XJ springs work well at the rear, waggy at the front. Or you can get a custom spring.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Pascoe
                      Give us the run down and some pics

Comment

Working...
                      X