Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ready to Install Soon

Hi all,

I've been out for awhile (overseas) and am glad to finally be back. A while back I got excellent recommendations here about what lift to get and installation as well, but no longer have my pms to refer to. Hopefully the same person who gave me the great advice is still around.

My RE 3.5 SF kit has been sitting in my closet for almost a year now, and I'm excited to say that within the next 2 weeks I'll finally be getting it installed. Can someone offer some advice on a good place in the South Bay (Torrance) area that can do or someone that can help with the install? My dilemma is that this is my dd and I can't have it off more than 1-2 days.

Thanks!

With some basic tools you can install it yourself. If I can do it, then I am sure you can
    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Thanks nagal - I would give it a shot with the help of some friends, but the only problem is that none of us have a place to do it nor any tools. I live in an apt. and travel frequently. Plus, I'm not sure I can do it in a day and I'd hate for my jeep to be sitting somewhere for days at a time. Any suggestions on shops?

Comment

No tools and apartment will make it a lot harder. I can not recommend a shop as I have done or help a friend do 99% of everything on my Jeep.
        Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

One of my friends has some tools (I'll probably buy some spring compressors) and I've decided to do the install with his help in the back alley where I live. Anyone have any tips and advice you'd like to offer before I get started? Thanks all!

Comment

You do not need the spring compressors. Disconnect the sway bar links and the axle should drop down far enough to just pull the coils out.
            Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Turns out my friend can't help but after reading the install information over and over, I've decided to try and tackle this myself. Heck, I used to work in an armory and did a lot of mechanical building/modifying there - I figure it's possible I could accomplish this. My main concern is doing the alignment once the lift is complete.

If I run into any snags, at least I'll be by my computer for those helpful online writeups and forums like this. As far as tools are, I decided I'd just rather own the basic stuff for future use. I still need to go purchase an entire metric socket/ratchet and wrench set, pickle forks and jack/jackstands. I just got a set of T10-T55 torx bits - will those be sufficient?

I'll be getting 6 ton stands but am not sure about the jack. Would a 2.5 ton floor jack be good enough? Any recommendations on a decent floor jack?

Another thing is that I don't have the storage space for the floor jack and may be either returning it when done, or giving it away. Anyone in the area (I live in Redondo Beach) up to giving a helping hand for a day for some food, drink, company, free once used floor jack and a large pot of eternal gratitude?

Comment

I like the TRE pullers over a pickle fork. Pickle fork just tears the crap out of the TRE dust boot. You can get the TRE puller at AutoZone. You rent them but placing a deposit on them. Return them, you get your money back. I personal just bought mine, have come in handy a few times now.

Alignment is not hard. Just takes a tape measure. Of course I could not set mine for the life of me with my new tires so paid a shop to do it. Don't forget about centering the steering wheel. Read this for doing the alignment

http://www.4x4xplor.com/alignment.html

Get the 6-ton jack stands. I got 2-tons and now my Jeep is too tall for me to use them. 2.5 ton floor jack should be plenty, I use a 2 ton and it still does the job but again is getting to the point its not tall enough for some jobs. I got my floor jack at wal-mart, can not remember the brand but it was not anything special.
                Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Thanks for the helpful info - I couldn't find the pullers on Autozone's site; do you have a direct url to the product? I may end up taking my jeep to a nearby shop once I'm done if I can't figure out the alignment but I'll do my best following that tutorial.

That site also has a tutorial on bleeding the brakes - once I'm done with the lift and have swapped out the two replacement brake lines that come with it, in what order should I bleed the brakes?

Yes, I have decided to get a 2.5 ton floor jack and 6 ton stands - I'm going to start looking around for them. I was able to take a few days off from work next week to do this so I wouldn't have to rush, especially since I'll probaby be doing it myself - hopefully that helps with the nerves. Thanks again!

Comment

To rent the pullers from AutoZone just go to the store and say "I need to rent some TRE pullers". There are 2 or 3 different size. The 2 I have, the small one works with TREs the larger with pitman arm (not sure if you need that).
                    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

I'm doing my install on Monday and am giving it til' thursday to complete. Hopefully that's enough time for one person to do the lift and work out all the kinks. One question - do I really need a torque wrench? The writeup on 4x4xplor.com lists a torque wrench up to 130 ft. lb. as a recommended tool but I only have access to one that goes up to 85. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X