Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re:Yj coil conversion?

Has any one done a coil conversion on a yj at all? Was it as big of a project as it looks? Guessing drive shaft change, sye kit?,? any info would be helpfull
    The Second Amendment protects all the rest!

HI-LIFTS never go jeepin without it

I am interested too let me know how it goes. Are you gonna buy a kit or peice it together yourself?
    I have a Jeep

Comment

there are plenty of people out there that have done it, but there are only a couple of coil conversion kits worth doing. they are all intense installations. the "bolt on" type of coil conversions arent worth the time and money to put them on.

the kits that are worth having would require a lot of welding and some geometry skills to make work to their capabilities.
      take a look at the warn xcl kit.

if i were you, i'd get a good set of leaf springs and dial them in to get the flex you need.

i have been beating the hell out of my re 4.5" kit for a bit, and it has held up well. it has taken me through many of the trails in johnson valley in SUA configuration.
      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

My opinion but if your talking about the pro comp coil conversion for your YJ I wouldnt bother. I've heard bad things about these including saggy springs, not much flex, etc. If you think about it, how many people are running them? (not very many at all) reason why.
        90 YJ, 40" MTR's, 102 WB, 5.13's, 4.1, & stuff

Comment

I've run with a guy that has the Pro-Comp coil conversion on his YJ and he's constantly breaking things (brackets, arms, etc.). The last we talked he was considering other suspension options.
          '91 YJ 4.O, Auto, 4.5" Deaver, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's, D60 w/ Detroit, D30 w/ TrueTrac, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, AA SYE, Belly Up Skid, LED's...

Comment

The fabtech kit looks interesting, but factor in $2500-$3000 for the kit plus a SYE and any labor and I'd be tempted to do a spring over with stock leaf springs first.
            Mighty 4 banger YJ, 35's,4.88's, 30 splines, Detroits, 4.5" lift, TJ flares, Scorpion Offroad stuff, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

granted a big change over like this requires alot of time even if it was a bolt in or not..and you can build a great bolt in kit if you take the time to build itrite.. i have built many kits for custom applications.. and even made bolt in kits that work excellent. i do agree most kitsare a piece of sh** but it all depends were your getting it from.

Comment

I got a procomp coil conversion

I've had the procomp coil conversion for two years. I'm really happy with it but, and this is a big but, I haven't taken it offroad. I drive 70 miles a day on tore up L.A. freeways and my leaves were beating the tar outta me. After talking on other forums to people who had these kits and liked'em (they took them offroad) I bought one. $1400 not including the sye and 40 hours to install it myself without help. I used hitchpins instead of bolts on the swaybar links, I think I get the 10" travel they advertise with the sway bar disconected, I drove it up on a rock. The springs take 3-4 months to break in and softer or adjustable shocks would give you more flex. Some guy's cut off the ends of their control arms and weld in hiem joints for more flex. Heck if I wanted to do that I'd build my self a better kit with a welder, some DOM and I'd triangulate the control arms and throw away the trac bar. Thats what I'd do with what I learned from installing that bolt on kit. I really am happy with it. It handles better than stock leaves even at 5" taller. But thats my opinion and I'm the fool who hasn't made time in the past two years to go offroad with it...which I'm gonna change soon. Hope that helps you..hehe

Comment

Working...
                X