Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

locked, did you have to extend your drive shaft, and get an SYE when you installed the lift?
    One quick question also, is it worth getting 15x10 rims, or am i going to be able to fit the same size tires on 15x8's and save myself about $100?

Comment

Originally posted by killwhytey07
      locked, did you have to extend your drive shaft, and get an SYE when you installed the lift?
      One quick question also, is it worth getting 15x10 rims, or am i going to be able to fit the same size tires on 15x8's and save myself about $100?
      15x8 wheels will work perfect......I run 35's on 16x8.5 teflon chambers. NO PROB........BJ

Comment

They kit came with transfer case drop bracketts to correct the driveline angle so you wouldn't have to get an sye But you loose ground clearance. I ran the stock drivline for a while but recently went with an sye and cv shaft to regain my ground clearance. My opinion is that if you can afford the sye and and cv shaft go for it. But it is not needed unless you go with there 6" lift or do a spring over. Tom Woods has a lot of good info on the geometry of pinion angles and what type of shaft to use check out there web site.

Comment

got it one mine no problems

Comment

i have the rough country 3.5" on my 89. i also got the steering stabalizer. i have had it for a year now and no problems. i run 31s but have enough room to put 33s(might have some rubbing though).i did not regear, but i have the 6cyl. i am really happy with it just now i want to go bigger so i am going with a spoa.
            therockgods.com 1.)1989 YJ SPOA 38s(possilby for sale)2.)1991 Cherokee DD 3.)1975 International Truggy in progress...

Comment

Well, all this is really reassuring, I finally got my cash together, and I'm ordering the lift next weekend, lucky me I have friends in a shop class and they'll install free..... thanks again everyone!

Comment

In my humble opinion, the belly up kit with a SYE and CV driveshaft using 1 inch of body lift to get full use of the Belly up kit is one of the most effective mods you can make. what it does for your breakover angle is like going up several sizes in tires. Resorting to transfer case drop is like losing tire size in relation to breakover angle.
                Look at it like this, knowing where your pumpkins are and moving rear shocks outbound gets you past a 2 inch raise in itre size, you pick your line for that, however getting that 2 inches, and then lowering the Tcase 1 inch and you gain nothing in breakover angle. now why is breakover angle important? Well that is the angle you need to clear once your axle is over the obsticle. in other words it is one of the most important angles to consider.
                get a tape measure out and measure under your jeep from Tcase to pavement, then measure someone who has a belly up kit, It will amaze you.
                censored for having an opinion

Comment

I know you already decided on it, but I thought I would add a couple of things. I do not think that it is the best lift out there. I DO think it is the best "bang for the buck" lift kit out. I put this lift on the wife's jeep and was suprised at how good it is. Ride quality is close to factory, and there was a lot of little extras that most budget lifts would not include. I think you will enjoy it.

Comment

black you make a good point, but this isnt going to be a hardcore offroad rig, if anything its going to be a mud truck.... dont get me wrong, shes going offroad as much as possible, but im only running a 4 banger and other than mirror movers, a cb, and a little rhino lining this is the only real mod going on it.

in other news, I think im putting her up for sale come the end of the summer, and buying a tj with a 4.0, this will be a much better build i promise.

Comment

I run a 4 banger, the 2.4, by choice, ordered it that way.
                      saw the gas thing coming
                      But I see what you mean about the wheeling
                      I lived in Louisianna for 17 years, I had a 1.5 inch lift and massive amounts of skid plates on my CJ5 to protect it from having the bottom ripped out by mud, when I moved to California, my entire additude toward wheeling had to change, now I needed clearence as well as needing to skid plate, but my plates were to keep items from being bent now, so they could be of a different design. One thing I can say, I do not miss mud
                      censored for having an opinion

Comment

I'm finally set to order this thing, 2 months behind schedule and after a lot of unexpected hassles.... one last question though if you please, the kit comes with front and rear leaf springs, transfer case drop kit, front and rear track bar drop brackets, swaybar links, power steering pitman arm, brake line relocation brackets, bumpstops, u-bolts, and 4 Heckethorn Hydro 8000 series shocks.

My question is, is it worth it to upgrade to Nitro Shocks for $25, and add a Steering Stabalizer for $34.95?

Comment

I would spring for the drop pitman arm and upgrade the shocks. I got the stabilizer as well, but only because it had to "match."

Comment

The Pitman arm upgrade says manual steering pitman arm.... I have power steering, am sort of confused... I don't need this right?

Comment

Working...
                            X