Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOA lift

i was watching xtream 4x4 on sunday and they did a Spring over axel lift on a CJ i was thinking about doing it to my jeep but it seemed to be to good to be true. how good are these lifts, i herd there are some problems with bump steer? what is bump steer? Hope you could anwser my questions. Thanks

Justin
    ./| ,[_____], 4.5"
    |¯¯¯L--D|||||D 33"
    ()_)¯()_) ¯¯ )_) Armor
    Locked and Ready

Got a welder and good fabricating skills and it's pretty easy. I remember seeing the show the first time they ran it and some of the stuff they did and recommended doing were downright scary.

Problems you'll run into are bump steer, axle wrap and rear end death wobble.... But all of which can be taken care of with the right parts and construction.

Bump steer can be solved by making sure the track bar and drag link follow the same path and angle, you want to have them at as close to parallel as possible. Any difference will cause the steering to shift when the suspension compresses.

Axle wrap, caused increasing the effective torque on the spring by moving the axle to below the spring pack, and therefore causing them to warp and allow the wheel to hop, can be fixed with long spring pads (like the ones in the Rubicon Express SOA kit) and also an anti wrap torque arm (Skyjacker 5th link traction bar)

Rear end death wobble is a little harder to take care of. You’ll have to approach this one if and when it becomes apparent that it’s happening (when it does it usually appears at 70mph on the freeway and requires a new pair of shorts!) It can only be fixed by some kind of panhard bar or stiffer springs.

None of these thing where mentioned in the show and all seemed quite obvious to anyone whose done this conversion before. The only other thing that really scared me was the shock placement. Where they mounted them they’d probably bottom them out really easily. If you do this conversion figure out where you need to mount the shocks by cycling the suspension up a ramp etc. then by the correct length shock and definitely use bump stops! Your shocks and spring will thank you!

Hope this helps….
    Mighty 4 banger YJ, 35's,4.88's, 30 splines, Detroits, 4.5" lift, TJ flares, Scorpion Offroad stuff, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

I recently did a spring over on my 92YJ and am very pleased with the results.

I used the Rubicon Express kit with the extreme duty springs. The SOA kit is fairly easy to install, it's fixing everything else that takes I lot of thought and time.

Such as:

IMHO, the RE springs are very springy so I wanted good shocks to keep them under control. For me this meant Fox RAcing Shox and new towers, all corners!

Super extended brake lines.

Parking brake cable mods.

Longer drive shafts.

SYE if you don't already have one.

High steer (big PITA with the D30)

Here's watcha' get :yay:

"your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

What they didnt show you on extreme 4x4 is steering, driveshafts, axle wrap, and all the little things that need tobe done.

You need an antiwrap bar period. You will have axle wrap. Your steering needs to be addressed. Either high steer or a correct tierod and draglink.

Comment

thanks for all the input, you guys opened my eyes a little bit more.

Justin
          ./| ,[_____], 4.5"
          |¯¯¯L--D|||||D 33"
          ()_)¯()_) ¯¯ )_) Armor
          Locked and Ready

Comment

Originally posted by aston
            I recently did a spring over on my 92YJ and am very pleased with the results.
            What did you do for the lower shock mounts?
            Mighty 4 banger YJ, 35's,4.88's, 30 splines, Detroits, 4.5" lift, TJ flares, Scorpion Offroad stuff, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Andy
              What did you do for the lower shock mounts?
              I got shock tabs from Blue Torch Fab and welded the buggers on. In this pic the weld is not complete

I gotta' say BTF stuff is first rate.
              "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Working...
              X