Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body Lift

I was thinking about getting a 3" body lift on my jeep. Its a 91 YJ with a 4.5" rancho lift allready on it and 33" MTR's. Is there anything special i need to do if i were to get this body lift? Thanks

Justin
    ./| ,[_____], 4.5"
    |ŻŻŻL--D|||||D 33"
    ()_)Ż()_) ŻŻ )_) Armor
    Locked and Ready

I wouldn't get 3" of body period.....

unless you don't plan to offroad it, even then I strongly don't suggest it if it were a street jeep
    Bryan
    2003 black TJ 4.0 manual
    front-OX-35 rear-OX-44 4.88
    Rock-It Man rear bumper + rock rails, currie front bumper

Comment

why would you want to body lift with already 4.5"?? All it will do is give you room for bigger tires, It wont give you any more ground clearance, But it might get you alot of laughs when people look at your jeep
      04TJ, 4.0 5spd
      4" rough country springs
      Nth degree arms upper and lower
      1" Currie MML/BL
      Jc fab rockers & 1" seat lift
      33"BFG MT's
      Lock-rite in the front

Comment

I am going to ditto the "no three in body lift" sentiment here.

One of my neighbors bought a brand new rubi and got a three inch body lift on it. The thing has never been dirty yet.

Everytime I drive by I look at the three inch body lift and have this almost irrepressible desire to by a bag of army men and glue them between the frame and the body. Of course I would never do this, but I REALLY REALLY want to.

It is your Jeep and you can do what you want, but i hate the look of a 3 inch body lift. 1 inch is OK, 2 inches is questionable with me.

Keep in mind that a body lift raises your COG, which is very bad for off-roading.

Comment

Technically speaking, an inch of suspension lift raises the COG more than an inch of body lift - there is more weight combined in the frame + body than in the body alone. That is no reason to install a 3" BL though. The only reason I have even a 2" BL is to allow me to clock my tcase up. Otherwise, keep it as low as possible. Try cutting some sheetmetal
          1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
          My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Originally posted by assyrianplyr127
            I was thinking about getting a 3" body lift on my jeep. Its a 91 YJ with a 4.5" rancho lift allready on it and 33" MTR's. Is there anything special i need to do if i were to get this body lift? Thanks

Justin
            I run a 4.5" lift 1" body lift and 35's with no issues but then I installed TJ fender flares for a little extra clearance, See the picci. The problem I found was the higher you go with a body lift the more flex and distortion you can get in the body, and also hoses, shifters, steering shaft, and electrics may need to be extended, I ran a 2" body lift for a while that just caused the front clip to move around.

Mighty 4 banger YJ, 35's,4.88's, 30 splines, Detroits, 4.5" lift, TJ flares, Scorpion Offroad stuff, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

What Andy said...

3" BL is a really dumb idea. Just picture your shift lever 3" lower and feel the rice! It will look ridiculous and YJs do not respond well to that much BL- cracks in the tub and such. I run a very similar setup as he does just with 33s.
              '95 YJ 4 banging powerhouse.
              www.longtallsally.50megs.com

Comment

Working...
              X