Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need sum lift help

i wanna raise my jeep but im not sure how to go about it. im new to the whole jeep thing, only had mine like 3 months. Ive been told to do a 3 or so inch suspension raise. whats the difference between a body raise and suspension raise? and what one is best for offroading cause thats what i like to do

First, decide what size tires you'd like to run. Then decide what kind of offroading you are likely to do most. From what I remember from growing up in southeast MI, you're not going to run into much rock crawling unless you plan on heading way north, like to the UP. A body lift simply spaces the body mounting locations up, leaving the suspension untouched. There are advantages - cost and simplicity, but also disadvantages - no increase in usable wheel travel, and sometimes can look funny if not coupled with a suspension lift. Like I say, first decide what you want to do with the Jeep.
    1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
    My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

You cannot put a body lift on your jeep, its a unibody. Just doesnt work. So, You have one other option . . . Suspension.
      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

D'oh, thanks Chris - I guess I should read what the heck someone has before posting...
        1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
        My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

I put a three inch on mine and im pretty happy with it. Although i have been bitten by the jeep bug so i want to go higher and hiigher until i need a ladder to get in, but until then go with 3-3.5" and 31" tyres. search for Rubicon Express, they are one of the top of the line lift companies. good luck and ask questions...a lot of em too it will help a ton!
          B R E T T
          87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

Comment

If your going to lift it go as high as you would ever want to go the first time so you dont have to do it again. wish i would have, now I have to scrap that 3.5in to make room for the 7.5in. that 3.5 was a wast of $.

Comment

Does width of tires affect the performance of Cherokees? I have a 4" Fabtech performance lift on mine, and want to go up to 31's. I would like to get the 12.5's, but I was wondering if that would be too heavy, and slow the Jeep down. I also want to make sure that I don't need any more extras to fit those. I didn't need the SYE, and CV drive shaft when I got my lift, and can't afford it right now. So I want to make sure that the bigger tires woulnd't require anything extra like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudeboyrob88
                Does width of tires affect the performance of Cherokees? I have a 4" Fabtech performance lift on mine, and want to go up to 31's. I would like to get the 12.5's, but I was wondering if that would be too heavy, and slow the Jeep down. I also want to make sure that I don't need any more extras to fit those. I didn't need the SYE, and CV drive shaft when I got my lift, and can't afford it right now. So I want to make sure that the bigger tires woulnd't require anything extra like that.
                I think with 4 inches you can fit 31's with no problems. Its not the weight of the tires that slows the jeep down, its that the jeep is not geared properly for the tires. Thats what really does it. Do they make 31x12.5 tires? or are they all 31x10.5?
                Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69
                  I think with 4 inches you can fit 31's with no problems. Its not the weight of the tires that slows the jeep down, its that the jeep is not geared properly for the tires. Thats what really does it. Do they make 31x12.5 tires? or are they all 31x10.5?

They make them. I am looking at the ProComp Xterrains. They have them in 31 x 10.5, and 31 x 12.5. I figure, if I can get away with the 12.5's it would look pretty badass.

Comment

the 12.5's will be harder to fit. If you are using stock wheels they will probably rub more, you may have to look into wheel spacers.
                    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Nope, the wheels are Procomp xtream beadlock's. Not sure if the backspacing is more than or less than stock, but they do stick out more than the stock rims. Thats why I want to go wider. So I can fill out the rest of the wheelwells. If they don't work, I should be able to switch to the 10.5's at the shop.

Comment

Nope, the wheels are Procomp xtream beadlock's. Not sure if the backspacing is more than or less than stock, but they do stick out more than the stock rims. Thats why I want to go wider. So I can fill out the rest of the wheelwells. If they don't work, I should be able to switch to the 10.5's at the shop.
                        They have the same backspacing as my wifes Mickey Thompson Classic 2's and she runs 12.5 wide procomp AT's with no rubbing, the diameter however was a different story, we had to run 6" of lift and Bushwacker cutout flares to fit their 33" diameter!
                        Mighty 4 banger YJ, 35's,4.88's, 30 splines, Detroits, 4.5" lift, TJ flares, Scorpion Offroad stuff, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

Is that on a Cherokee XJ? I have heard that you need a lot of lift to get 33's, but I am pretty sure I can fit the 31's on the 4" lift. We will find out on saturday anyway. I have one or two more things to get done, and I will be ready to join some rides. Cant wait

Comment

Is that on a Cherokee XJ? I have heard that you need a lot of lift to get 33's, but I am pretty sure I can fit the 31's on the 4" lift. We will find out on saturday anyway. I have one or two more things to get done, and I will be ready to join some rides. Cant wait
                            it's on an XJ we wheer building as a jeepspeed chase car... we used to run 31"s on a 3" lift with no problems, then cut out the fenders to go with 33"s and found we needed more lift at the front! for clearance.

One thing you may want to do is knock the seams flat in the back of the front wheel well, I found under full compresion that they nicked the tires before before we installed adjustable control arms.

hope this helps! :beer:
                            Mighty 4 banger YJ, 35's,4.88's, 30 splines, Detroits, 4.5" lift, TJ flares, Scorpion Offroad stuff, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

Working...
                            X