Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shackles

How does everybody feel about 1"-1 1/2" shackles for a lift for my yj? We're talking stock everything, just those.

I'm thinking about it because I have 30" tires and just want a tad more clearance...

...and i'm a cheap bastard
    For Sure Bro!
    20.00%
    Hellz No!
    80.00%

Go with a 1" or 2" Body lift. 1st upgrade.
    Same factory ride.

Later when you step up to a lift kit the shackles will come.
    :2:
    [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
    In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

the shackles will make it drive like shit.
      your wheel wont return to center, and you will likely get bump steer.
      do a 2" body lift. [no more than 2"]
      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Whats involved in a body lift?

does it mess up any wires and stuff? or linkages to steering, etc?

Comment

1" body lift, then some boomerang style shackles like the Mountain offroad ones (0.5" lift) and 30's will fit fine. A 1" body lift won't affect any other system on your rig. Check out www.mountainoffroad.com that's who I got my stuff from, good prices. this set up is how i ran my 4 banger for 2 years!
          Mighty 4 banger YJ, 35's,4.88's, 30 splines, Detroits, 4.5" lift, TJ flares, Scorpion Offroad stuff, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

Shackle lifts are fine but like the others said, it will drive like TOTAL CRAP! It will wander, not track straight, and generally be a PITA on the road. But at least you won't have a body lift.
            '95 YJ 4 banging powerhouse.
            www.longtallsally.50megs.com

Comment

i would go with the body lift, i had a shackel lift with my rubicon kit and its rides like shit. The body lift is allot esier also, all you need is a jack or a really strong friend hahaha
              ./| ,[_____], 4.5"
              |ŻŻŻL--D|||||D 33"
              ()_)Ż()_) ŻŻ )_) Armor
              Locked and Ready

Comment

In addition to springs and a body lift, I have a 1.5 inch shackle lift as well. I don't know what a jeep feels like without it, but I can tell you that it does wander on the road to some degree. From what I have heard, longer shackles cause this "wandering". If so, I can tell you that it is not terrible, but...
                92 YJ, 35s, Atlas 4 speed 10:1, 4.88s SYE, RE 4.5 XD, 2' BL, D44s, Alloys shafts, Lockers, Snorkel, skid plates, roll cage, winch

Comment

Working...
                X