Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 0" - 4" shocks possible?

Hi, my first post. My Xj is not lifted now, it will be within the year. I need shocks now though cause my tires are cupping. Is there a set that can go from 0" lift to 3.5/4" lift?
    According to Kragen the Ranch RS5000 can, but i've heard bad thing about rancho's
    look on the right side of this webpage
    thanks
    Last edited by jeep-noob; 02-20-05, 02:19 PM.
    2000 XJ, 108k miles
    33's, RE 4.5", 4.56

I might be wrong on this but the Rancho shocks do not go 0-4" of lift, the are available in different sizes from 0", 2",4" of lift (probably missing a step in there).

I have Rancho 9000x and are not that happy with them.
    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

You are gonna have to get your stock shock measurements for both compressed and extended and then compare those to the Rancho units to make sure the Rancho will fit your stock height rig at full stuff and they are actually 4 inches more in extended length.

They might work but you need to do some research.
      It's a Jeep thing, my wife doesn't understand.

Comment

Here's some :poop: I posted in another thread and it's irrelevant here as well

Originally posted by aston
        For basic shock length: measure distance between upper and lower mounts at rest. Then measure distance between the bump stops. Assume that a rubber bump stop will compress one inch.

For example at rest I have 24" with 4" between the bump stops, add one inch and deduct = 19" compressed length. This assumes the shock is vertical.

If the shock is angled you will need to employ some trigonometry.

The easiest way is to make an accurate scale drawing. As an example, lets say the shock is angled forward 30 degrees. If the axle moves 1" upward the shock will compress cos 30 * 1 = 0.866" This makes it easier to get longer shocks in a small space but the shock will be *less* effective, 86% in this example. In many cases if the axle continues to move vertically by another inch the angle is increased. Lets say 35 degrees therefore the second inch would compress the shock cos 35 * 1 = 0.819". At the logical extreme if the shock angle is 90 degrees and the axle moves by 1" the shock will compress cos 90 * 1 = 0"

OK, enough of the bull :poop: As you already know, you don't want the shock to bottom out The bump stops must limit upward travel, not the shock.

Time for a :beer:
        "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys.
          I will do the math :confused2 , and stay away from the Rancho's. I have bad things about them in many forums.
          2000 XJ, 108k miles
          33's, RE 4.5", 4.56

Comment

I have Rancho9000's, they are descent shocks........get ahold of SAKI669, he has an XJ and just put some Ranchos on it also.
            "A dark comedy about sexual addiction, chocolate pudding, religious relics and the Heimlich Maneuver."

Comment

Originally posted by jeep-noob
              Thanks for the replies guys.
              I will do the math :confused2 , and stay away from the Rancho's. I have bad things about them in many forums.
              I like the Rancho 9000x's. Stay away from the cheaper (5000)ranchos. Too stiff.

You can get them in any length you need. You may have to convert to eyes instead of posts in the front to get all the sizes.

Comment

Working...
              X