Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop Recommendations?

Folks,

I'm still weighing my options on a lift, but should have something within a week or so. I've gotten numerous offers from friends, friends of friends and others I've met online. For the most part, I'll probably end up sticking to the 3-3.5" range for now and throwing in a set of adj track bars.

I would love to do this myself but do not have the tools, nor the space for the tools. I'll be changing out the springs, bumpstops, track bars and shocks. Are there any shops in the area (South Bay) someone can recommend or even someone with a garage and tools for some $$$, food and beer in exchange for assistance?

TIA,
    War

If for some reason you come down to SD to do it I will lend a hand.

Comment

Are you just changing springs, bump stops and trackbars? There is a small shop on Rosecrans just east I think of Inglewood Ave. called Southbay Truck & 4x4 or something close to that. I've had work done there, they know what there are doing and have been working on Jeep's for a long time. If it's a small job I'd might be able to help you out, got the tools... Let me know what lift your getting.

B&T TJ

Comment

Yes, for the most part it'll be just the parts mentioned above. I'm considering a 3" black diamond kit someone is passing on to me for a really good price. I probably won't do the sway bar disconnect mods and just buy new ones later on. I'll post updates on what kit I get and in the meantime I'll also check out that shop mentioned above. If possible, I wanted to do it myself with a little help. The last time I did any work on a jeep was on my 05 Wrangler - I have yet to touch anything on the newer ones; but things seem pretty darn straightforward. Thanks!

Comment

Jason at Redrock has given me an offer for the RE 3.5" SF kit that I can't refuse! So now it looks as though I'll be going with that kit as suggested by members of this forum from the start. At first I didn't think I could get that with the budget I have, but things are now lookin' good. The only thing is that I'll have to wait another few weeks after getting the kit for my adj front track bar since I'll have to save up again. I'm also aware that I should go with a sye and will begin saving up for that as well.

Now my TJ is a daily driver (about 3-4 miles a day on surface streets) and she rarely sees the highway. I do plan on taking her offroading from time to time (nothing too heavy). She's also a 4-banger and I've read of some who have gone with 33" tires and haven't had a problem for years until they could afford new gears. Would it be fine if I did the same thing? Otherwise, I will stick with 32's until I could get her regeared (another few years). Thanks guys! Now I'll have to study up on the RE SF installation instructions - there's a bit more in there to do...

Comment

Congrats! I thought that kit came with an adj trackbar? Maybe not.

Don't forget about the driveshaft too ... maybe we can see if we have enough interest to do a group buy, because I need one too before my lift goes on
            :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

No, I'll have to purchase the adj front trackbar separate from the kit. The SF kit comes with these additional parts on top of everything that comes with the standard RE 3.5" kit: "front sway bar disconnects, lower Super Flex control arms front and rear, and extended front brake lines."

The price quotes I received was for both the standard kit and the SF kit - the price difference is 220.00. Is the 220.00 well worth those additional parts? Both the kits came well within my budget of $750.00 - I'm getting pretty darn excited now...

Comment

Originally posted by sarah
                ...Don't forget about the driveshaft too ... maybe we can see if we have enough interest to do a group buy...
                I need a driveshaft too

No really. I do.

Tam
                2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
                Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Tam, I got my DS for $220 at a local shop in Fresno. Took them about 4 hours to have it ready with all spicer parts.
                  1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Originally posted by warhawke
                    The price quotes I received was for both the standard kit and the SF kit - the price difference is 220.00. Is the 220.00 well worth those additional parts?
                    Well, the superflex comes with adjustable control arms, and buying them later to upgrade would be like spending the money twice.

Originally posted by JeepGal
                    I need a driveshaft too
                    bout time!

Comment

go local its so much better, tom woods is an over rated bastard. warhawke, if you deide to do it yourslef, i'll help, i have nothing better to do, and have small selection of tools that helped me put on my lift kit
                      Carlos

92 YJ
                      GO VEGAN!
                      volunteer at your local food shelter!

Comment

Originally posted by ersatz
                        go local its so much better, tom woods is an over rated bastard. warhawke, if you deide to do it yourslef, i'll help, i have nothing better to do, and have small selection of tools that helped me put on my lift kit
                        If we do a group buy, it will be thru Tom Woods

Comment

Originally posted by sarah
                          If we do a group buy, it will be thru Tom Woods
                          ok your turn to hear me complain bout me and Tom, he got measurements wrong TWICE for my DS! and he wanted to blame me and wanted me to pay for shipping, i needed 20" DS first one was 17, 2nd was 23.5. customer service sucks and they are idiots, but ummm yeah? so how was your day?
                          Carlos

92 YJ
                          GO VEGAN!
                          volunteer at your local food shelter!

Comment

Originally posted by ersatz
                            ok your turn to hear me complain bout me and Tom, he got measurements wrong TWICE for my DS! and he wanted to blame me and wanted me to pay for shipping, i needed 20" DS first one was 17, 2nd was 23.5. customer service sucks and they are idiots, but ummm yeah? so how was your day?
                            oh yikes! we have had better luck in the past :/

Comment

i had my driveshaft built at driveshaft masters in Harbor City and have been very pleased- well balanced, fairly priced, built quickly (overnight, since he had to order one flange). seems pretty stout so far i don't know if he does group buys though might try high angle driveline? i've heard nothing but good things about them (and more and more negative things about tom wood)

Comment

Working...
                              X