Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $700 for a Lift

Guys/Gals,

Well, my long awaited tax return has finally arrived and I'm ready to purchase a lift. I would like to stay under the $700 mark and was considering going with the RE 3.5" standard kit. I've read that the kit comes with just about everything I need for the meantime - is that a safe assumption?

Now I do know a few companies offer them with a choice of shocks (for more or less). Can anyone recommend a good place to order the kit from, as well as your recommendation on what kind of shocks to get? I drive my 2005 TJ to and from work on surface streets less than about 5 miles total each day and rarely hit the highways.

Mucho thanks!
    War

Don't forget a slip yoke eliminator and CV driveshaft. I would only consider a transfer case drop a temporary fix.
    1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
    My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Well that kit's OK, not much to it and in time you'll want the control arms... that come w/the Super Flex kits. Buy it online out of state (save on taxes) but it will ship from Calif. so shipping shouldn't kill you. I bought mine from a friend in New Mexico, mesa4x4.com but I'm not sure what or how much Jay is doing these days, send him an email, he's a good guy and will save you bucks as he did for me. As far as shocks I started w/Doestch3000 and didn't like the ride so changed to the RE Monotube shock and like them much better, more forgiving on road for me.
      I'd save some more to get a better kit w/more parts, you'll need them and want them in time.

Don't get discouraged, your on the right track, get some prices, B&T TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Black & Tan TJ
        Buy it online out of state (save on taxes) but it will ship from Calif. so shipping shouldn't kill you. TJ
        RE is now charging their dealers tax on orders shipping inside of CA. So theres not much to get around that.
        [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
        SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I agree with B&T. If you do any wheeling, you'll want the Super flex arms instead of the standard ones.
          [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
          SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I really appreciate the advice - I may just save up for something else. What kit(s) out there would you guys recommend if budget wasn't a major issue?

Comment

Look at the Currie site. Pricy but great stuff. As my RE stuff rears and gets replaced it's the stuff for me.
              http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...ault_jeep.aspx

B&T TJ

Comment

Someone has given me an offer on a Procomp Stage 1 spring set with ES 3000 shocks. The price is 250.00 and I feel it's a good way for me to start things off with some 32's. It'll be a good year before I could afford a really nice lift and bigger tires - and if anything I don't plan on going with anything over 33". Does this sound like a good way to kick things off on a budget?

If I start with 2", can I bring things up a little higher (closer to 3") with some 1" spacers? Also, from what I read it varies from jeep to jeep on whether or not there will be vibe issues with smaller lifts. If so, what's recommended; an MML or using some washers? Thanks folks!

Comment

As far as kicking things off on a budget, the best way to save money is to buy your tires once. You will surely lose money when you go to sell the 32s, so why not just buy the tires you want? To get 33s on a TJ, you can run ~2" suspension lift and either extend the bumpstops (really cheap) or throw on a 1" body lift.

I can give you a better deal on a set of Bilsteins and some 1" springs with 1" spacers. We're taking Sarah's budget boost off so someone is going to get a deal on it.
                  1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
                  My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Working...
                  X