Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suspension swap?

I've been milling around the idea of putting the wider YJ springs on my CJ5 for better control and more comfort. I've seen a kit or two out there for it, but is it really a good idea? Is there a lot involved with this type of swap? What kind of difference can I expect? Newbie wrencher here, any advice would be helpful, to include a good brand/vendor to get the kit from.
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

the benefit is a smoother ride cuz front springs are wider. if you do this you can buy aYJ lift kit. is it a godd idea? well thats up to you. i say sure why not but i thik it involves cutting and welding of spring perches. i know old man emu sales a kit for this
    Carlos

92 YJ
    GO VEGAN!
    volunteer at your local food shelter!

Comment

Originally posted by ersatz
      the benefit is a smoother ride cuz front springs are wider. if you do this you can buy aYJ lift kit. is it a godd idea? well thats up to you. i say sure why not but i thik it involves cutting and welding of spring perches. i know old man emu sales a kit for this
      I think the OME was the conversion kit I saw. I was wondering about things like steering shaft, brake lines, stuff like that. Cutting and welding isnt a big deal, I just hope that the instructions are pretty specific about where to weld.

Comment

ARB who makes the Old Man Emu line has great customer service. I bought an axle with an ARB locker installed in it. i contacted them via email, and they sent me the manual for the locker back in an email and answered all of my questions.

I am sure if you contact them, and tell them that you are planning on purchasing the kit and would like to see the instructions to make sure that this is something you would feel comfortable doing, that they would send the instructions to you.

I just contacted them through http://www.arbusa.com

-M

Comment

There is nothing magic about changing from 2" to 2 1/2" springs on any CJ. I can't say for sure what is on a '74 CJ-5, but my '86 has 2 1/2" wide springs on the rear and 2" on the front. The '74 may still have 2" on the rear also, in which case you might want to swap those out also. The front hanger for the front spring is 2" wide from the factory to match the 2" wide spring. The rear hanger on the front spring is actually already 3" wide, so it is plenty wide enough to fit a 2 1/2" spring. All you need are wider (2 1/2") front spring hangers on the front and the appropriate bushings (1/4" spacing) to fit a 2 1/2" spring on the front axle. If you already have heavy duty (not 2 piece) shackles, then you will need a wider shackle up front also. Most kits are basically a pair of offset shackles, 2 1/2" wide springs, and a complete new set of bushings to fit the 2 1/2" springs.

So, the first thing you need to know is what needs to be replaced regardless. If the bushings are worn out all around, then the kit is not a waste of money as far as the bushings go. Are you planning on changing all 4 springs, or are you happy with what you have on the rear? If you're not changing the rears, then the kit might be the way to go. Are you still running the factory formed spring hangers? These are notorious for failure (all 4 of mine were broken on my CJ when I bought it), so you might want to buy new hangers anyway if you are still running these. I have Slickrock hangers, they are tough but a bit pricey. So if you need new hangers, you may as well buy two sets of good rear CJ hangers and don't bother with the goofy offset shackle that comes with the kits. Then all you need are two sets of rear spring bushings (because you basically made the front just like the rear). Like I say, assuming the rear are 2 1/2" already, otherwise I think you could do the same thing on both axles to get 2 1/2" springs all around.

So don't rush out and buy a kit, but rather look at what you have and focus on what you want to do in the end. You'll possibly save yourself some trouble (and $) up front if you think about what your future plans are for the Jeep.
          1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
          My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Originally posted by rick
            There is nothing magic about changing from 2" to 2 1/2" springs on any CJ. I can't say for sure what is on a '74 CJ-5, but my '86 has 2 1/2" wide springs on the rear and 2" on the front. The '74 may still have 2" on the rear also, in which case you might want to swap those out also. The front hanger for the front spring is 2" wide from the factory to match the 2" wide spring. The rear hanger on the front spring is actually already 3" wide, so it is plenty wide enough to fit a 2 1/2" spring. All you need are wider (2 1/2") front spring hangers on the front and the appropriate bushings (1/4" spacing) to fit a 2 1/2" spring on the front axle. If you already have heavy duty (not 2 piece) shackles, then you will need a wider shackle up front also. Most kits are basically a pair of offset shackles, 2 1/2" wide springs, and a complete new set of bushings to fit the 2 1/2" springs.

So, the first thing you need to know is what needs to be replaced regardless. If the bushings are worn out all around, then the kit is not a waste of money as far as the bushings go. Are you planning on changing all 4 springs, or are you happy with what you have on the rear? If you're not changing the rears, then the kit might be the way to go. Are you still running the factory formed spring hangers? These are notorious for failure (all 4 of mine were broken on my CJ when I bought it), so you might want to buy new hangers anyway if you are still running these. I have Slickrock hangers, they are tough but a bit pricey. So if you need new hangers, you may as well buy two sets of good rear CJ hangers and don't bother with the goofy offset shackle that comes with the kits. Then all you need are two sets of rear spring bushings (because you basically made the front just like the rear). Like I say, assuming the rear are 2 1/2" already, otherwise I think you could do the same thing on both axles to get 2 1/2" springs all around.

So don't rush out and buy a kit, but rather look at what you have and focus on what you want to do in the end. You'll possibly save yourself some trouble (and $) up front if you think about what your future plans are for the Jeep.
            ALL GREAT STUFF! Thanx a ton. Now, what I have is (doing this from memory as I'm in Iraq right now) what looked like 1.75" leafs all the way around. It's all stock and the springs are HELLA worn out. The leafs are extremely skinny. I think I'm going to have to go with a new outfit all the way around. Also I asked once about dual shocks and was told basically that it's a huge waste of money. But I live in the desert, and was thinking that for desert running it may be a good investment. Especially if I plan to sink a bit into the new springs and lift and all that nonsense.

Again, tons of good stuff to think about! Thank you!

Comment

Working...
            X