• Show
Clear All

Awesome input Blaine! Thankyou

Very nice explanation of Death Wobble !

Tam
    2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
    Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

OK, I just did the turning back an forth test. Here's what I found. The tie-rod like end of the track bar, where the track bar is coupled to the frame, bounced up and down when turning the wheel back and forth.

My upper control arms are stock. They appeared to flex a fair amount as well. Everything else looked and felt tight.

So... do I need a new track bar?

Thanks for all the help!

Best,

Jeff
      Last edited by flywaterguide; 12-13-04, 08:31 PM.

03 TJ with a few mods.

Comment

You should just be able to tighten the track bar bolt up. It's needs to be mother f@%kin tiight
        ASM REAPER BUGGY ON 40'S SOLD
        00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
        97zj ON 36'S SOLD

04 CUMMINS CRAWLER HAULER

Comment

when i put it on yesterday, i tightened the liven... F##K out of it. the guy at RE said that this would indicate that the track bar is toast. I dunno.

03 TJ with a few mods.

Comment

Originally posted by flywaterguide
            OK, I just did the turning back an forth test. Here's what I found. The tie-rod like end of the track bar, where the track bar is coupled to the frame, bounced up and down when turning the wheel back and forth.

My upper control arms are stock. They appeared to flex a fair amount as well. Everything else looked and felt tight.

So... do I need a new track bar?

Thanks for all the help!

Best,

Jeff
            What brand of track bar is it?
            I am Savvy.

Comment

Originally posted by mrblaine
              What brand of track bar is it?
              it's the full traction bar that came with their kit.

03 TJ with a few mods.

Comment

it's the full traction bar that came with their kit.

You need to be more specific. Have a picture? Link to the trackbar from a website?

I've helped install a FT kit, but I need more info.
                I am Savvy.

Comment

You need to be more specific. Have a picture? Link to the trackbar from a website?

I've helped install a FT kit, but I need more info.
                  Here's a pic... I don't know how much it helps though...

03 TJ with a few mods.

Comment

Here's a pic... I don't know how much it helps though...

Helps a bunch. Is the head of the TRE at the frame side, jumping up and down, or is the tapered pin loose in the hole in the frame bracket?

The tapered pin actually ball shaped on the end in the head. The head houses a socket that the ball rides in. Your death wobble has probably ruined the part. It's replaceable, get another, go from there.

If it the tapered pin in the frame bracket, tighten it. I doubt that's it though. I'm putting my money on a bad TRE.

Double check the axle end turning the steering wheel a bit harder this time. btw- you are doing this with the wheels on the ground, right?
                    I am Savvy.

Comment

Here is the thread I started a while ago. And here is Rick's post in particular concerning my Jeep. I had forgotten to mention the lower control arms that were also replaced.
                      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Helps a bunch. Is the head of the TRE at the frame side, jumping up and down, or is the tapered pin loose in the hole in the frame bracket?

The tapered pin actually ball shaped on the end in the head. The head houses a socket that the ball rides in. Your death wobble has probably ruined the part. It's replaceable, get another, go from there.
                        I'm putting my money on a bad TRE.

Double check the axle end turning the steering wheel a bit harder this time. btw- you are doing this with the wheels on the ground, right?
                        It is the tapered pin loose in the hole in the frame bracket! Yes, done with the wheels on the ground... and an 11 year old behind the steering wheel.

03 TJ with a few mods.

Comment

So... it looks like I'll probably get a new tie rod. Also, since the caster is off, I guess I need some adjustable control arms. Should I get uppers or lowers? the lower control arms are aftermarket (Full Traction) and the uppers are stock.

lemme know.

best,

FG

03 TJ with a few mods.

Comment

It is the tapered pin loose in the hole in the frame bracket! Yes, done with the wheels on the ground... and an 11 year old behind the steering wheel.
                            Before you do anything else, yank the cotter pin and tighten the castle nut. If it spins in the hole, push up on it with a pry bar to force the pin into the taper.

Post results.
                            I am Savvy.

Comment

Before you do anything else, yank the cotter pin and tighten the castle nut. If it spins in the hole, push up on it with a pry bar to force the pin into the taper.

Post results.
                              I did all that before I put up the first post. I took the track bar completely off the jeep, then put it back on and tightened everything. Yep, used a pry bar to hold the bolt in place.

03 TJ with a few mods.

Comment

I did all that before I put up the first post. I took the track bar completely off the jeep, then put it back on and tightened everything. Yep, used a pry bar to hold the bolt in place.
                                Now that you have me thoroughly confused. By bolt, do you mean the tapered pin sticking out of the TRE?

Is it still loose in the hole in the frame bracket, or did tightening up that part of it stop it from moving in the hole?

If that part is not moving, is the head of the TRE still jumping up and down while the pin in the frame is tight?

What I am trying to determine is if the frame bracket needs repair because the hole is wobbled out or just replacing the TRE will solve the problem.

If the hole is bad, it can easily be fix, but I need to know what part is worn.
                                I am Savvy.

Comment

Working...
                                X