Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ Longarm W/ 8.8

I am getting ready to purchase a longarm 4.5 lift to install myself. However with the ford 8.8 my rear sway bar does not fit due to the off center gear pumkin. The mount brackets are welded on the rearend, but the sway bar is not installed. I did some rebending and was able to get in on , but it looked like it might hit on pumkin. So I took it off.

Does anyone have any ideas for a rear sway set up?
    I think I will need it with the LA and more lift. For now with 3" lift it is not needed.
    456's 2 lockers 4 disc brakes 8.8 lots of skid plates

Hey Terry. I dont know if its really needed. I lost mine when I swapped in the D44 and I dont think it really did any good. I would imagine if I drove my Jeep like a Porsche then I would need it. I would say run with out it for a while . . . see what you think. If its too tippy for you, then maybe re-think how to get it on there.
    Chris
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I do not have it on now and it is fine
      but more lift and more flex with long arm, might be worse
      sure would flex more though

Comment

The Missus has her XJ on 5.5" of lift and wheels it sans swaybar front or rear. The front swaybar alone is fine for on-pavement antics.

If you will be running the Anti-Rock, my understanding is that you must have a rear swaybar for it to work properly. Chris_L has a front and rear Anti-Rock setup if memory serves. This might obviate the differential interference issue.

Chris' Step-by-Step Photo Narrative
        Last edited by jmbrowning; 08-12-04, 12:07 AM.
        Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
        2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

You can get a universal anti-rock kit from currie, that comes with all the parts. The arms just need to have a bend pressed into them to clear the rear springs. Works like, awesome. With out a rear swaybar, your front antirock will become useless.
          ASM REAPER BUGGY ON 40'S SOLD
          00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
          97zj ON 36'S SOLD

04 CUMMINS CRAWLER HAULER

Comment

Ahhh, a picture is worth 1000 words
            I have heard of this combination, I have to cut a hole in my body tub for rear tires to stuff completly. I saw Chris L pictures it is not too much cutting of tub I just hate to start hacking on my body at this point. I may try stock rear sway first to see if it works. It seems like it will limit travel though.
            Last edited by tjTerry; 08-12-04, 09:18 AM. Reason: want to

Comment

Terryy, this is the only place I had to cut for the arm to travel upwards. Just a small slit. the shock mod is something else I did, but not necessary for the rear antirock. The arms are bent to clear the springs {runs between spring and tire}
              ASM REAPER BUGGY ON 40'S SOLD
              00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
              97zj ON 36'S SOLD

04 CUMMINS CRAWLER HAULER

Comment

Oh thats not even inside the passenger compartment. I don't mind this mod. I just want to keep the inside airtight.
                Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jmbrowning
                  The Missus has her XJ on 5.5" of lift and wheels it sans swaybar front or rear. The front swaybar alone is fine for on-pavement antics.
                  Yes but her XJ has rear leaf springs, not coil springs like is being asked about. Of course an axle held in place with leaf springs can be run without an anti-swaybar but that's not a good idea with an axle only held in place by unstable coil springs.
                  The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

I've had my rear sway bar off for a good while now and have never once thought about putting it back on. besides the fact that the mounts are no longer there. Even if they were, I still would never thing about it!
                    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Working...
                    X