Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ: Tj suspension HELP

Hello I need help with a suspension issue. I have a 2005 jeep lj that has a 4.5" teraflex lcg kit. With blistein 5100's. I'm having a issue with rear up travel. Not that much up travel room. Especially when loaded down with camping gear. Plus I don't even have a rear tire carrier or anything heavy added like I would plus a roof top tent in the future. This thing bottoms out like crazy. No the shocks are not old fairly new. I rarely drive this car. Any info is a great help how to solve this.

[/URL]

In your photo, the view of the bumpstop is hidden by the shock absorber. The limited up travel could be due to 1) improper bumpstop length, 2) improper shock absorber length, or 3) spring sag. When your rear suspension bottoms out, does the bumpstop, shock, or tire hit first?
    If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
    KI6MLU

Comment

I think no. 2) improper shock length. I can't tell from the picture, but the Teraflex kit usually comes with with shock extensions, which lets the shock drop about 1.5" to 2" lower.

They look like this:

Comment

Originally posted by Russ Chung View Post
        In your photo, the view of the bumpstop is hidden by the shock absorber. The limited up travel could be due to 1) improper bumpstop length, 2) improper shock absorber length, or 3) spring sag. When your rear suspension bottoms out, does the bumpstop, shock, or tire hit first?
        It's the shock bottoming out.

Comment

Originally posted by Trailabite View Post
          I think no. 2) improper shock length. I can't tell from the picture, but the Teraflex kit usually comes with with shock extensions, which lets the shock drop about 1.5" to 2" lower.

They look like this:

Yes I believe the Teraflex lcg uses those mounts. So what length does it need to be?

Comment

So is the shock to long or to short?

Comment

I'm going to say they are to long. For some reason I thought that Teraflex only offered a 4" LCG kit. Try finding a shock that's comparably to the Teraflex 9550 shock. Or remove the shock, jack up the axle to the bump stop measure from center of the top shock mount down to the center of the lower mount and then extend the axle and measure again and look for a shock that meets that criteria.

From the picture it looks like you might need a shock that's about 3" shorter. If what your showing is ride height.

Comment

I'm going to say they are to long. For some reason I thought that Teraflex only offered a 4" LCG kit. Try finding a shock that's comparably to the Teraflex 9550 shock. Or remove the shock, jack up the axle to the bump stop measure from center of the top shock mount down to the center of the lower mount and then extend the axle and measure again and look for a shock that meets that criteria.

From the picture it looks like you might need a shock that's about 3" shorter. If what your showing is ride height.
                Yes it is ride height this is with 1/2 my camping gear in the back loaded. It sucks

Comment

As he said, your shocks are to long, they bottom out before you hit your bumpstops

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                    As he said, your shocks are to long, they bottom out before you hit your bumpstops
                    Any input which shock to go with? Length, brand, part number? 4" teraflex lcg kit

Comment

Measure compressed and exteded length of shocks and what you need and go shopping

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                        Measure compressed and exteded length of shocks and what you need and go shopping
                        Easier said then done. I don't know what the values are suppose to be. Is there generic reference as to what it's suppose to be compressed and extended?

Comment

As I said earlier, Teraflex uses Teraflex 9550 shock for their kit. You should be able to google and get the dimension of the shock or just call/email Teraflex and ask.

Comment

You have the best answers from the best. If you can't do it yourself, find a trustworthy shop. Any mechanic that knows what he is doing will do exactly what Trailabite's post said. Sorry if it sounds harsh, it's not intended to be.

God forgives, rocks don't
                            -sons of thunder

Comment

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
                              You have the best answers from the best. If you can't do it yourself, find a trustworthy shop. Any mechanic that knows what he is doing will do exactly what Trailabite's post said. Sorry if it sounds harsh, it's not intended to be.
                              I did call teraflex and get the dimensions in the 9550's. That's what I'm saying, they are the same lengths as my 5100's just off by like .2 which is not huge, and still shitty up travel.

Comment

Working...
                              X