Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recently purchased stock jeep (feeling self conscious)

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ: Recently purchased stock jeep (feeling self conscious)

2001 TJ.. all stock except for tires (31" A/T) got a long ways to go before I'm finished however some say I never will be. first thing on my list is suspension. been looking at BDS and rubicon (3"-4"). just looking for some insight on what else I will need beyond the lift kit itself. Ive read I will need to lower my transfer case and new shocks would be optional but add a smoother ride on the highway. anything helps, thanks yall

welcome... and congrats with your purchase!

Comment

Originally posted by USA View Post
      2001 TJ.. all stock except for tires (31" A/T) got a long ways to go before I'm finished however some say I never will be. first thing on my list is suspension. been looking at BDS and rubicon (3"-4"). just looking for some insight on what else I will need beyond the lift kit itself. Ive read I will need to lower my transfer case and new shocks would be optional but add a smoother ride on the highway. anything helps, thanks yall
      Welcome to MJR! I'm glad that you found this group of Jeep addicts. Mostly a great group of folks, even Roger

Everyone has an opinion and this is mine, so please only take it for what it is. I suggest that you don't go with less than a 4" suspension lift. There are several companies out there that offer a good product. Consider Rubicon Express, Rock Krawler, TeraFlex, Old Man Emu, Clayton, AEV, or similar proven companies.

If you are looking for a better ride on the road and off, you might want to consider a long arm kit. If you are planning to wheel often and hard, both long and short arm kits have advantages and disadvantages. That is a HUGE debate on most forums. If interested, search most any Jeep forum for a comparison.

Any lift on a TJ model Jeep over 2" will require a Slip Yoke Eliminator (SYE) added to the Transfer Case (T/C). Don't lower your T/C unless you never plan to take it offroad, ...ever. SYE's are not cheap, usually around $230 to $250 new. You might find a used one on Craigslist, but more likely, you can find a whole T/C with a SYE already installed. You can some times find these for $250 to $350 ready to install.

Other than an SYE and a lift, you don't really need anything else to drive the Jeep anywhere. Most likely you will end up Wanting other things like bigger tires, better wheels with a shallower back space (makes the tires stick out more and avoids rubbing the tires on the suspension in tight turns), tow points, winch, wider fender flares, oh, and that is just the beginning. Ha!

Welcome to the club! After all, JEEP does stand for:
      Just
      Empty
      Every
      Pocket.

The folks here will chime in if I missed anything or they disagree. Welcome to the forum. Let us know if we can help.
      [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
      Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
      [/COLOR]

Comment

SYE kits require a new rear driveshaft, so don't forget to add that cost in as well...

Welcome to MJR!
        If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Mason,

Welcome to MJR! You didn't say how much experience you have with the trails in SoCal. If you're new to area, I suggest you LEAVE IT STOCK for now. 31" tires will get you anywhere in the desert and on most of the trails in the Los Padres and Angeles National Forests and all but the most difficult trails in the San Bernardino National Forest. Give yourself some time to determine what your needs and your priorities are. On the other hand, if you're familiar with the trails in the area, you probably already have an idea of what size tires and lift you need.

Most of people on this forum are now running 33" or 35" tires. My 2005 TJ has 33" tires with a 3" lift, a 1" body lift and a Tummy Tucker skid plate with selectable lockers on both axles. In order to reduce the angle of the rear drive shaft without lowering the transfer case I have a 1" motor mount lift and slip yoke eliminator. I have enough room for 35" tires, but since my Jeep is my daily driver, I find that 33" tires are a good compromise between street and trail performance.

I was new to four wheeling when I got my 2005 TJ, so I left it stock for the first year. Then I installed a 2.5" OME lift and went to 31" tires. After another year, I went to my present configuration by installing D44 axles, NV241 transfer case, the Tummy Tucker and Currie suspension components (I already had adjustable track bars, heavy duty steering and springs, so I bought the remaining components instead of a kit).

Russ
          If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
          KI6MLU

Comment

As stated earlier, we all have our opinions lol. I would have to agree with what Russ says regarding your experience. If your brand new to wheeling I would leave it stock and go get some wheeling experience and go from there. Your driving style will dictate how you build your jeep. But, even in stock form I would still recommend installing a locker in the front axle, it makes a world of difference.

Comment

welcome!

I had a BDS 2" springs and shocks on mine for a year or so, I really liked how that rode.
              [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
              www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Leave it as is for now and go try it out in the dirt see how you like it. Then figure out your long term goals for you and the Jeep, cheaper to build it once for your end goal than upgrading piecemeal. Above all ask questions, here or on other forums. Has the potential to save you a bunch of money.

Comment

Originally posted by Trailabite View Post
                  As stated earlier, we all have our opinions lol. I would have to agree with what Russ says regarding your experience. If your brand new to wheeling I would leave it stock and go get some wheeling experience and go from there. Your driving style will dictate how you build your jeep. But, even in stock form I would still recommend installing a locker in the front axle, it makes a world of difference.
                  Ditto. Once you learn what type of wheeling you want to do, that will determine what direction you will want to go with the jeep build. I also recommend subscribing to a jeep magazine. I prefer JP magazine. You can learn a lot from them about all aspects of jeeping. Welcome to the Jeep life.
                  It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Welcome to MJR. You have Miller Jeep trail right up the Interstate so wait for someone to post up a run and tag along. The trail is stocker friendly.

Comment

Welcome USA! I'm located in Santa Barbara currently, nice to have another MJR member in the (somewhat) same area!

+1 on Miller Trail as well... I think my local club is organizing something for September so keep an eye out.
                      Bryan
                      2003 black TJ 4.0 manual
                      front-OX-35 rear-OX-44 4.88
                      Rock-It Man rear bumper + rock rails, currie front bumper

Comment

Welcome to MJR and Jeepdom!
                        You already have input from some of the best. As far as the SYE, it's absolutely worth it. There are many levels of expense - all related to your wrenching abilities and resourcefulness. As stated, you will have to buy a double-cardan driveshaft. Look at your front driveshaft where it attaches to the transfer case. It will be the same style, but a lot shorter. You also have several cost options with this as well.
                        You can easily spend $600+ to get it set up. Or you can do the work (and homework) yourself to save a boatload of cash.
                        While the SYE is a worthwhile mod, choose your build realistically. If you plan to do some trails and progressively challenge your skills and vehicle, you don't need to start off with 37's and Dana 60's.
                        Above all, as Art said, ask questions! you will not be snubbed here for being close to stock or asking "newbie" questions.
                        God forgives, rocks don't
                        -sons of thunder

Comment

Thanks everyone.. given me much to consider while looking around!

Comment

Originally posted by USA View Post
                            Thanks everyone.. given me much to consider while looking around!
                            There are lots of options obviously. Just enjoy your Jeep and chase the ones that fit you best. The most important thing is to get out and explore your new ride. Take it where you want. It will go more places than you think....

If it doesn't go there, ask questions (as Art said).

I hope to meet you on a trail soon.
                            [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                            Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                            [/COLOR]

Comment

Since you haven't mentioned your experience level, I throw this out there.

Never go out alone! Wheel'n is like swimming in the ocean. You should never do it by yourself. Always go with a buddy. Even if you are going with a friend. Always let someone know where you went, and approx when you'll be home. Better safe then sorry.
                              It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Working...
                              X