Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JK: Rear Pan Hard/Sway/Track Bar Rubbing

I'm not really sure what to call the thing. I called it the Pan Hard bar on the YJ, but this looks more like a rear sway bar to me on the JK. It has a bend out to go around the Diff and connects left to right. Anywhos. This past weekend I noticed I heard some squeaking from the rear end. I got under the Jeep yesterday to do some cleaning and lube things up and noticed that it is rubbing against the passenger coil spring. Does anyone know of a way to fix/upgrade this? And can you explain to me wth it is? Since I'm such a coil spring noob I don't have a clue what to even search for. I think it's a track bar, but I can't find any articles/threads on this issue.

Thank ya much! I can post up photos if needed.
    USMC F&AM

It's the rear sway bar. I'm not terribly familiar with how close it should be to the coil, but the first things that jumps out at me is the question: Is your axle centered? If you have a substantial lift, maybe a stock track bar pulling the axle to one side, then you might end up with the sway bar being pulled toward the coil on one side...?
    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Okay. Thank ya much! It looks like the lift I have replaces those components. I linked the lift below if it helps. If it has indeed been replaced with the lift, then???

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16190_2111.htm
      USMC F&AM

Comment

It is your track bar and its not uncommon for it to rub on your springs. The easiest fox is to but the coil correction wedges. to keep a goo pinion angle on the JK when you lift it the lower spring perches are rotated back and this causes a slight bow in the spring. That mixed with the aftermarket using much larger material to manufacture track bars leads to them hitting the spring.

So you really have 4 options....

1. try the correction wedges
        2. live with the noise
        3. cut and rotate then re weld the spring perches
        4. cut the frame side track bar mount of and move it back an inch and reweld it

here is a link for the wedges

http://www.offroadpowerproducts.com/...FQhyQgod1GYAzg
        Last edited by dr.dirty; 01-24-13, 07:26 AM.
        [COLOR="YellowGreen"]"You cant fit 2 fingers in my tailpipe"[/COLOR]

Comment

Thanks Scott! I ran out and looked at it; they are indeed bowed. Any thoughts on taking a 2" lift puck and cutting it at that angle to net me a 1 - 1.5" additional lift, as well as straighten out the springs? If i'm going to have to in there and mess with springs I'd rather just add another 1 or so to my height so I can run 37s at full flex. The 35s even manage to rub right now.
          Last edited by TipsE-Z; 01-24-13, 02:08 PM.
          USMC F&AM

Comment

And so it begins, you gonna give your wife a heartattack when the sawsall comes out

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
              And so it begins, you gonna give your wife a heartattack when the sawsall comes out
              Haha, we knew it'd just be a matter of time....
              USMC F&AM

Comment

Hey Chris,

I know you are a smart and capable guy, but you may want to take it to a local shop with a good rep for a second opinion before you go messing too much with your brand new baby. I know.. call me crazy...

Brett

Comment

I'm with ya on that one. I don't want to turn this thing into my YJ. Haha
                  USMC F&AM

Comment

Alrighty. After some e-mailing Teraflex it looks like I'm going to order the wedges Scott suggested, then while the Jeep is on the lift toss in some 1" Spacer Lift Pucks to give me 5" over all, and the room for 37s on there.
                    USMC F&AM

Comment

Working...
                    X