Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ: a little advice for a new jeep owner. 2002 wrangler

Just had a few questions for anyone who could help. I am a relatively new jeep owner with a 2002 Wrangler Sport. Everything is basically stock except for some new tires. I am looking to get a 2.5 to 3.5 inch lift on it and have no idea where to start. Any suggestions with the most cost effective way to approach this. Which kits are preferred? Could anyone help me out? Thanks!

i tried posting this question earlier, found out it was in the wrong section. (sorry I'm new here.) So i have a 2002 Jeep Wrangler and would love to get a new lift on it. Everything is basically stock on it and I am looking for the most cost effective way to give it a 2.5 to 3.5 inch suspension lift. (more for street driving.) What kits are recommended? Nothing too radical.

I was also told that a SYE Kit was a MUST HAVE for any jeep lift. Is this true? Could anyone help me out a little? Thanks!

I would go with the Currie lift from Savvy Offroad. Do it right the first time.
    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
      I would go with the Currie lift from Savvy Offroad. Do it right the first time.
      ^^^ This if you are going to take it off road. There are cheaper options if you just want to look cool on the street.

Since the home page says, " Caution: extreme jeep enthusiasts park here " ... we don't discuss the street looks here.

Welcome to MJR.

Comment

Welcome to MJR. You need to determan what your end goal is. Then go from there. Kits range, from budget boosts, to full custom fab'd kits. This question should be posted in the suspension thread, in the tech section.
        It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Welcome to MJR, I have a old leafy Jeep so no help but good luck on your lift hunt. :beer:
          Dennis and Tammy
          Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

thanks for the advice. I'll post this question in the tech section with a little more detail and see what i can get. thanks alot

Comment

a "budget boost" is probably the most cost effective (cheapest) way to get a few inches of lift. It's a spacer that goes ontop of the springs, and then you'll also need longer shocks.

As far as the SYE goes, my jeep never had a slip yoke (rubicon) so I don't know for sure, but I hear the general consensus is that around 3" or more of lift you probably need to start thinking about an SYE.

If you want to avoid the possibility of having to get an SYE kit, you do a 2" budged boost, and a 1" or 1.25" body lift and motor mount lift.

If you want to do alot of offroading, you'll most likely eventually replace the budged boost with new springs, so if you know you'll be offroading you might as well just hold off and wait until you can throw down $ for a spring lift. But if you're just looking for a bit more lift to fit some bigger tires and don't plan on doing a whole lot of offroading, it'll probably serve you just fine. And a body lift can make some things easier later on down the line as well, that's probably something you wouldn't remove later on. I'd say a body lift would probably be a good idea either way, if you offroad or not. Just don't get a 3" body lift, haha :-D
              Last edited by daniel_buck; 08-29-12, 02:03 PM.
              [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
              www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

When I had my 90 YJ I had a 2.5" lift and it was fine without the SYE. I then had a 95 YJ and did a 4" and as soon as I drove it on the freeway the vibration was so bad I definitely needed the SYE. Got it fixed it drove it...sold it

Comment

Can of worms.

You CAN put a 2.5" lift on a 2002 TJ without a SYE. There is a chance that it might need one. Anything over 2.5" youll need to start upgrading everything else.

I ran this way for a long long time. 2.5" rancho lift (I wouldnt recommend it), and a 1" body lift to fit 33's.

You will also need to replace your control arms and shocks.

Tam
                  2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
                  Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

As JeepGal states this can be a can of worms. Both she and I have gone through the gambit of suspension upgrades. Presently I am running a Currie lift, Currie steering upgrade, SYE and Tom Woods driveshaft. As Curtis said do it right, Currie is the best out there but requires quite a bit of other mod like an SYE and new driveshaft and of course all the set-ups and alignments. There's other thing to consider to, want kind of rear axle do you have, D35 or D44? Simple way to find that out is look at the fluid fill plug, is it a rubber push in type (D35) or does it have threads and screw's in (D44). Yes this will make a difference in the big long run picture. If you have a D44 your in good shape to limitless lift and mod options, if it's a D35 go with the 2" budget boost and longer shocks and no larger then 33" tires and be done with it. Welcome to MJR and the addiction, most of us are always thinking about our next upgrade and how to fund it.

Cheers

Comment

Tom, u caught my attention.....what fluid fill plug are u talking about to determine axle size????

Comment

Originally posted by RonR. View Post
                        Tom, u caught my attention.....what fluid fill plug are u talking about to determine axle size????
                        Hey Ron,
                        The one attached to the diff cover, just look under from the rear should be right there. I'm sure there's other way but this seems to be the quick & easy though I'm not sure if that changed in later years. Have a look and let us know.

Comment

Originally posted by daniel_buck View Post
                          a "budget boost" is probably the most cost effective (cheapest) way to get a few inches of lift. It's a spacer that goes ontop of the springs, and then you'll also need longer shocks.

As far as the SYE goes, my jeep never had a slip yoke (rubicon) so I don't know for sure, but I hear the general consensus is that around 3" or more of lift you probably need to start thinking about an SYE.

If you want to avoid the possibility of having to get an SYE kit, you do a 2" budged boost, and a 1" or 1.25" body lift and motor mount lift.

If you want to do alot of offroading, you'll most likely eventually replace the budged boost with new springs, so if you know you'll be offroading you might as well just hold off and wait until you can throw down $ for a spring lift. But if you're just looking for a bit more lift to fit some bigger tires and don't plan on doing a whole lot of offroading, it'll probably serve you just fine. And a body lift can make some things easier later on down the line as well, that's probably something you wouldn't remove later on. I'd say a body lift would probably be a good idea either way, if you offroad or not. Just don't get a 3" body lift, haha :-D

Asher, as you said, "mostly street driving". Based on that, I'd have to agree with Daniel, on the 2" budget boost, and 1" body lift. This is a great, cheap way to get started. If the jeep'n bug hits you bad, your still starting from a stockish, set up. Leaving you every option out there, without having to double spend, on different versions of the parts you've already purchased.

Good luck, and keep us posted. Its cool see'n new jeepers, learn to crawl(pun intended).
                          It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Tom, my 04 Rubicon....the fluid plug screws in.....D44?

Comment

Originally posted by RonR. View Post
                              Tom, my 04 Rubicon....the fluid plug screws in.....D44?
                              What was I thinking, the Rubicons come with front and rear D44's. Thanks for checking.

When I ordered my 2002 one of the few options was a Heavy Duty rear axle, this upgraded the D35 to D44 and if I remember correctly it was less then $300.00. Boy did I luck out seeing how I knew very little about all this stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X