Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YJ: Rugged Ridge HD Steering Crossover

Alrighty folks... The deal the misses and I had of "no Jeep work till after the wedding" is quickly coming to a close (wedding is 9/2). As such I've started getting quotes, putting down deposits, and doing some research. I've decided that (from my review reading) that the Rugged Ridge Crossover kit would be a smart choice in replacing my EXTREMELY worn out components (ask Kurt or Chuck about our V Notch fun last November). I've read quite a bit that the kit does rub on stock 15 inch rims, but I do not have stock rims, and sadly don't know the backspacing on them right now. They are Mickey Thompson Classic Lock's that I think are 15x10. (I'm guessing on the 10 since my 35x12.50s fit on them with minimal bulge). If that is the case, the web teaches me my back spacing is 3 5/8".

Now the web also teaches me that this kit is for Wronglers with no more than a 6" lift, but since I run a 4" drop pitman I assume this cancels out my extra .5 inche I gain from my Early Warning System (giant 2" lift shackles).

Anywhos... I would like to know if anyone has seen this kit wheeled, or had personal experience with it. From what I can read and analyze in my Monster driven, sleep deprived brain, I should be okay. But I'm curious about those situations when it's flexed with the passenger stuffed... The passenger side is where the 'drag link' attaches to the tie rod.

Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the long post but when I'm ignorant to something I have no problem asking for advice.

Here's a link to the kit... http://www.autotrucktoys.com/jeep/Ru...-PRD21567.aspx
    USMC F&AM

The deal the misses and I had of "no Jeep work till after the wedding" is quickly coming to a close (wedding is 9/2). As such I've started getting quotes, putting down deposits, and doing some research.
    Wow, you are going to be SERIOUSLY distracted on the wedding night !
    You can tell her you have steering geometry anxiety issues, problem is, there is no little blue pill for that.

Comment

That is the Inv T steering... not crossover. they call it crossover because it sells better.

Inv T steering is horrible on a lifted TJ with link suspension because you get the drag link angled and it will roll the tie rod forward and backward giving you a dead spot in the steering wheel.

It will work better with a YJ because of the leaf springs and no track bar. With the drop pitman you have less bumpsteer but unless you get that drag link flat... you will have the tie rod roll.

I steer everyone clear of Inv T because I have tried it and rejoiced the day I got to remove it...

Actual crossover setup... draglink and tierod both completely separate.

Last edited by Dcope17; 08-10-12, 05:29 PM.

Comment

You could make one just as hokey as that for about 1/2 the money, and have lifetime guarantees on the TREs. That long TRE with a hole wasn't designed to be a hinge for a draglink, it was meant to for a steering damper/ stabilizer on a 1/2-ton pickup. Kinda MacGyver for the first nosepicker who tried it out, but a big fail for a company with the resources of Omix-Ada to still be passing off after all this time. But ripping off other people's inferior designs is what they do best.
        holes = cowbell

Comment

So what I'm hearing here, in a nutshell, is replace just my rod ends for now with OEM stuff until I have the funding to go to a High Steer?
          USMC F&AM

Comment

When I had my yj, I ran this steering, the Trail Proof kit, with the "over the knuckle" option. It was a great kit for the trail, and for the street. My jeep was a daily driver. Its also, about the same cost as the RR kit.

http://bulletproofsteering.com/

Take your wheel off. Put a straight edge across the back of the rim, not the tire, then measure to the wheel mounting surface. Thats your back spacing. I had to get a shallower BS wheel, with this steering kit.
            It was like that when I got here.

Comment

The currie steering setup is very nice. It has the angle correction built in to the upper TRE at the pitman arm to allow lifted jeeps not to pull apart the TRE when articulating and its bolt on. Not to mention much stronger, but that really doesnt mean anything. Since you will not be wheeling and trying to feel if you hit the tie rod and if you did, you would stop instantly There not one steering kit out there with a tie rod that is strong enough to stop the jeep if you hit it on a rock, and not bend to hell.
              *Ricky Bobby* "I'm on FIRE!"... "I'm on FIRE!"...

Comment

Originally posted by Dcope17 View Post

Stay the Hell away from this mess. You'll be better off going with a Currie set up. tried and true. If you ever read the term "cross over", unless you run off road only, run like Hell!
                [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Haha. Thank you sir. I think after everyone's thoughts here I'm just going to by new rod ends for my OEM drag link and tie rod. Besides, that should leave me with another $100 to use for gears/lockers etc.
                  USMC F&AM

Comment

Originally posted by ROBERTK View Post
                    The currie steering setup is very nice. It has the angle correction built in to the upper TRE at the pitman arm to allow lifted jeeps not to pull apart the TRE when articulating and its bolt on. Not to mention much stronger, but that really doesnt mean anything. Since you will not be wheeling and trying to feel if you hit the tie rod and if you did, you would stop instantly There not one steering kit out there with a tie rod that is strong enough to stop the jeep if you hit it on a rock, and not bend to hell.
                    Originally posted by RAT View Post
                    Stay the Hell away from this mess. You'll be better off going with a Currie set up. tried and true. If you ever read the term "cross over", unless you run off road only, run like Hell!
                    If Currie's CurrectLync would work without clearance problems on his YJ, that would definitely be the ticket. Currie doesn't list any steering linkages for the YJ on their website. Savvy's 4340 tie rod upgrade should be hard to tweak.

Originally posted by TipsE-Z View Post
                    Haha. Thank you sir. I think after everyone's thoughts here I'm just going to by new rod ends for my OEM drag link and tie rod. Besides, that should leave me with another $100 to use for gears/lockers etc.
                    I think you had the right idea to upgrade your steering, so don't give up. Steep gears can be a pain, but they probably won't keep you from getting home. I made a hokey "1 ton" steering that was annoying at times, but it always got me home. A stock steering would have died a thousand deaths. Finally acquired a CurrectLync about a year ago. Don't go stock if you're going to play in the rocks.
                    holes = cowbell

Comment

Currie has a set up for CJs that looks like it will work on a YJ. Oughta check it out!
                      http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...t.aspx?id=1160
                      Last edited by RAT; 08-16-12, 10:51 AM.
                      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

That may be the way that I go. I've also been thinking of just doing an upgrade on the Tie Rod and leaving the Drag Link stock.
                        USMC F&AM

Comment

Originally posted by RAT View Post
                          What's wrong with this setup?

Comment

Kurt might just be referring to the fact that I'm a bit of a Fabrication retard... There is no way I could ever cut the frame properly, let alone weld in new stuff. Given that I'm cheap, paying someone to do it isn't really an option either
                            USMC F&AM

Comment

Ah... the pic was to show a "true" crossover steering.

Stand alone drag link, stand alone tie rod... no tie rod roll, no dead spot in the steering.

Comment

Working...
                              X