Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lumpy Grits View Post
    It ain't the brakes. If it was, both sides would be breaking.
    Gary
    Actually, both sides have broken, just not at the same time.
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Comment

Hey Roger, when Mitch owned it those shackles did invert "backwards" and got stuck against the frame several times while out wheeling and usually at full articulation and in extreme flex. I remember we had to pry them back with a crowbar a few times. In fact, if I remember correctly he bent one of the front main springs pretty badly because of that. Not sure if that's your culprit but Eric may have something there! Also remember you are running a U-Bolt reversal kit on those axles and that may be causing undue stress on the main spring. Something to think about!?

Scott
      "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

Dumb question Roger, how are the back brakes? If they ain't grabbin' it's all on the fronts.
        God forgives, rocks don't
        -sons of thunder

Comment

I still vote for inversion of the shackles. Weld something in place to prevent them from folding all the way backward. This will fatigue those springs n that location. I went through this with my YJ as well.

I went with the boomerangs and didn't like the sloppy feel on the road; then went back to the Currie 3/8" lift shackles and put some crap in the way to prevent them from inverting.

Do you use your sway-bar on the road?
          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

OK-Both sides break.
            I still feel it's from the front "work'n" much more than the rear does.
            Why don't you try some limiter-straps to stop extreme axle drop.
            Has it always been the same brand springs?
            LG
            Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

Yes it's always been Rubicon Express springs.

[COLOR="red"]I just got off the phone with Rubicon Express Company. They are standing by their warranty. I only pay for shipping. New spring pack will be here Friday[/COLOR]
              MJR moderator
              Jeep Patrol Leader
              Reforestation Supervisor
              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
              Eagle Scout

Comment

Get a spare:wink:
                LG
                Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

WOW! Good for them stepping up to bat. I ran the RE springs for a while and destroyed a couple of them They wouldn't cover because I was an "Off-Roader" and they filed it under "abuse". It made me say a bunch of bad things to and about them on line. Glad to see they are keeping up with their competition.
                  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                  ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Roger, why not put the short lower spring from the old set of springs on the top when you install the next set of springs, if that is what you plan to do. That should stop the top spring from breaking.....at least at the old spot. Do you have enough old spring parts to do this?
                    Rich

Comment

I think I do Rich. I'll think about that. I think I could sacrifice 5/16" of lift it means not breaking a spring!
                      MJR moderator
                      Jeep Patrol Leader
                      Reforestation Supervisor
                      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                      Eagle Scout

Comment

Scott is right, I did invert the front shackle a couple of times. I tried to put boomarang shackles on the front but they dont clear the steering box and skid. I'm curious though, I had over 250 runs on that Jeep and broke a total of 2 leaf springs. I've had it 2 feet in the air over the hoops at 50 mph before (not planned). Constantly flexed it hard, with no front sway bar or control arms. I always took care of it, but it wasn't babied. So either something has changed or maybe it's the new driver too funny, love ya Roger!!!!!! Also on the brake issue, the rears are crap, non existant, always have been. I've been to 2 different brake shops and just blew money. The "Navajo" Brake booster helps in 2 wheel drive, but nothing works in 4 low on that Jeep. The springs are Rubicon Express 4.5" Extreme Duty and were istalled as a complete suspension package.

Hope you find something out on this Roger. That was my only concern all along.

Mitch

Comment

Roger, what rear axle are you running? Disc or drum? Looks like we need to be looking at possible rear brake improvements. Have you bled the rears lately? Reading that Mitch knew they weren't great, he probably drove accordingly.
                          God forgives, rocks don't
                          -sons of thunder

Comment

The rear has a Dana 35. I will stick with adding an old leave on top of the spring pack

Comment

Mitch, I really don't think I drive it any harder than you did. we've wheeled together for a long time and I baby the great 88 over the tough stuff like you used to do. I haven't done a lot of the tougher trails you did. So between the two of us that's a total of 5 broken springs

Haven't bled the brakes ever. Probably a good thing to do.

I like the extra leaf idea. I assume I'll need a longer bolt to bolt the spring pack together?

I will do that as well as a suggestion from Lumpy Grits. He said on big rigs he drove to Alaska, they would take a grinder to the plate where the spring mounts and grind a little radius on it so it is not a knife edge.
                              MJR moderator
                              Jeep Patrol Leader
                              Reforestation Supervisor
                              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                              Eagle Scout

Comment

Yup, you need to buy or make a longer centerbolt for the springpacks.
                                Also if you have a friend with a fork lift or a Bobcat, flex the Jeep out to the max and check shock travel versus bump stops.
                                I know the rear is not setup right since you keep breaking the mount, in the front that might have something to do with the springs breaking also. Never hurts to check

Comment

Working...
                                X