Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifts

OK, this sounds stupid but I'm going to ask anyway. I just bought a 2004 Wrangler and was talking to another TJ owner about the lift that i am ordering for it.I told him that i was doing a 4" Pro Comp suspension, 3" body, sitting on 35" TrXus MTs. He said that the 4.0 wouldn't be able to handle 35s and that he has 33s and has problems shifting into 5th gear. Now my thought is that he probly just did a body lift and didnt adjust his linkage but i wanted to get a second opinion. Do you think he is right? :shades:

when you change tire size... you also have to regear your differentials to make up for it. i run 35" tires, and have no trouble at all going into 5th gear. i regeared to 4.88 to make up for the tire change
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Re: Lifts

Originally posted by FlexAholic
      OK, I told him that i was doing a 4" Pro Comp suspension, 3" body, sitting on 35" TrXus MTs.
      Ok im no expert in the body lift industry, but i have read up on alot of opinions...Isnt a 3" body lift a bit much? i guess if this is a trail rig its ok? but if its a DD is it particularly safe to have that much of a BL?
      B R E T T
      87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

Comment

Re: Re: Lifts

Originally posted by JeepJunkie
        Ok im no expert in the body lift industry, but i have read up on alot of opinions...Isnt a 3" body lift a bit much? i guess if this is a trail rig its ok? but if its a DD is it particularly safe to have that much of a BL?
        agreed... 2" body lift max.
        there many ways to lift a vehicle, but only one way to get your gears to turn the tires you want
        if you want to run 35" tires, get your wallet out, and i hope you have a few grand ready to pour into your jeep. otherwise, you will NOT be happy with the 35" tires you plan to run
        >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
        ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Agreed 2 inch BL MAX! A 4 inch lift and a 1 inch body lift should be enough to clear 35's. And like everyone else said, its all in the gearing.
          [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
          SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Lifts

Originally posted by NAILER341
            ... if you want to run 35" tires, get your wallet out, and i hope you have a few grand ready to pour into your jeep. otherwise, you will NOT be happy with the 35" tires you plan to run
            I was worried about that with mine but the 4.10s and the 4:1 will be ok for a while with the 35s. I was satisfied with how it did in Moab and I think I'll wait to recover a bit from the lift before doing the 4.88s ... I will eventually do them though ... there's nothing like clutch-less crawling without stalls!!!! ... but it'll be a while until I am back in that zone.

5th gear has kinda become useless for me though ... except on really level or downhill stretches. I was pretty much in 4th with wide open throttle all the way from LA to Moab and back.
            03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
            "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

4" lift with a TummyTucker skid has given me a minor vibe from 0-20. I will be installing a 1" motor mount lift to improve the driveline angles.

4.10 is OK with an auto tranny and 4:1 transfer case with 33's. I guess 4.56 will be the way to go for 35's.

The 3" body lift could definitely be a culprit in shifting problems. That seems awfully high for a Jeep.
              Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
              2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Working...
              X