Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the Best Lift Kit

Hey hows it going, I currently am running a 4 inch skyjacker lift kit and I'm tryign to decide on what my move in suspension lift should be. I'm am either thinking about doing an RE 4.5 Extreme duty kit with a shackle reversal up front and revolver shackles in the rear, a Full traction SOA kit with stock or RE 1.5" leaf springs w/ shackle reversa), or finally using the Skyjacker Monolinear 6" leaf springs along with revolver shackles, and possibly a shackle reversal up front. I am a serious offroader (rocks, little mud) and I am trying to improve my flex and would like to know everyones opinions on which way would be the best way to go!! Or if you have any other ideas let me know as well.

Thanks Ryan Ford

You can't go wrong with RE. Recently Nailer, on this board, went from pro-comp to RE on his YJ and the difference was night and day. If it were me, I'd stick to SUA with a shackle reversal in the front and RE springs all around. Or I hear the Black Diamond Coil kit is really nice!

Either way, Welcome to MJR!
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

i have been very happy with the re lift. it flexes very well for an sua lift... hell, it is even comperable to an soa lift.
      you wont be disappointed in these springs.
      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

RE = tough kit

I second Erik's remarks - never thought I'd say that

I have a YJ with the 4.5" RE extreme duty and I am very pleased with the setup.

The greaseable shackles are great - no more squeeks. Although the zerks are kinda' vunerable. After breaking a couple, I swapped them for button head cap screws. Now I just screw in the zerk at grease time.

Chris L.
        "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

and another thing....

Oh yeah,

While you have the whole thing torn apart consider JKS B2 and B3 U bolt plates.

Warning the B3 (rear) will require some cutting and grinding of axle braketry.

Chris L.
          "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Revolver shackles

ok now that im pretty sure im going with the Re springs, do you guys think with the shackle reversal up front that revolver shackels will work or no. Also how about the rear with revolver shackles or possible the zig zag kit. thanks guys for the replies

Comment

How much money ya' got kid?

When it comes to the ultimate, throw out the book and start over. Black Diamond XCL will give you 40" total travel if done right but it will cost ya'. :lightning Rubicon Rick
              " [COLOR="DarkGreen"]Life-is-Good![/COLOR] "
              Rick W6RE

Comment

Revolver shackles need to be pinned on the HWY to keep them from opening up and turning your ride into a slushbox on the street. Also, unless you like to replace driveline joints, consider an anti-wrap bar for your rear axle or you WILL be under your Jeep puttin' in new "U" Joints...

Rubicon Rick
                " [COLOR="DarkGreen"]Life-is-Good![/COLOR] "
                Rick W6RE

Comment

that's an awesome pic nailer!! i guess that's what all the fame gets ya!
                  :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Try one of these instead of Revolvers in the rear:

Made by Nth Degree Mobility, the Zig-Zag combines a sliding shackle system with a cross bar that acts in basically the same fashion as a track bar on a TJ... I like it so far. I don't get the shifting around of the rear axle like I did with the longer shackles I had on there. It makes it much more predictable going around corners. Can't wait to try it on some bfr's on the Con.

:shades:
                    rick
                    1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
                    My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

that thing looks pretty cool rick, but i was wondering how it works on steep decents.. if it would "unload" and throw you on your head? i hope not!
                      lets test it out!
                      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

I think it only unloads if there is ZERO force on it. In other words, if you didn't have it the rear wheels would be coming up off the ground ANYWAY. At least this way, you get some traction and stability.

I am eager to see photos of how much the zigzag improves flex and if driveshaft bind or shocks become the limiting factor.
                        Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
                        2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

I can tell you already that the driveshaft is going to be the problem... I have enough spring flex that with it flexed out this much more, the pinion starts pointing in funny directions. And you are correct - it will not unload any easier than your rear wheels will with Revolvers. Plus you can lock them in if you are worried about it. The only thing you don't get is the weight of the axle once the Revolvers would have extended until they stop. However, I challenge anyone with Revolvers to point out a situation where they actually extended the shackles going downhill and didn't go a$$ over teakettle anyways. Oh, and I think TJ owners could be asked this same question ... I have considered using limiter straps, but I'm still trying to figure out how much of this flex I can actually use. My shocks are long enough that I can separate the Zig-Zag by about 10" until the shocks are fully extended! I haven't quite needed this much flex anywhere we have been since I installed it...

I think you're gonna like this thing Erik...
                          1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
                          My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Working...
                          X