Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 91 YJ "little lift"

I have a friend who just bought a stock 91 YJ with the 4 banger. He wants to go with 31" tires with the stock wheels....What would be the way to go on lifting it? How much? and what should he avoid?
    :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

ahahah this is how is always starts... "i just want a little lift"... and then BOOM...you have a whole new Jeep a few years later

KISS...every mod effects something else... 1.5" body lift is simple... but that effects your TC's allignment with the body and can hamper your shifting into 4low so that will have to be addressed. Also then you should look at the Pitman arm...and adding a brace to reinforce the power steering pump... then SYE to protect against the added articulation...ect...ect...

Feel free to throw out the same question on Jeep Forum in the YJ technical forum.. under suspension... there are a ton of YJ guys on there (as well as here)

Comment

Stay away from cheap, lift kits. You get what you pay for, when it comes to leafs. 31's will fit with a 2" lift. Shouldn't effect ride too much.
      It was like that when I got here.

Comment

With 31's I would suggest cutting the fenders and putting TJ flares on - it'll buy about 1" upper clearance. A set of 5" shackles should be fine. Don't go longer than that, or the front will wander. To get great flex, pull the rear panhar bar. This combination will get you the room to fit the tires you want, look good and fit any budget. Another point to consider is that YJ's have the nose down rake. A set of stock rear springs off a YJ will bolt right on the front and pick it up about 1" as well.
        God forgives, rocks don't
        -sons of thunder

Comment

to go cheap on a 91 and still maintain some sort of gas mileage, go with a 2.5 lift kit. I ran that on my first Jeep (90 YJ) and it was great to get your feet wet and get used to doing some light off roading. With the 2.5 lift you do not need a slip yolk eliminator. anything above that you will need that piece to accommodate for the vibration since the angle of your driveshaft has changed. Back when I had mine, I had a 2.5 Rubicon Express with 32" BFG's...It was a great starter Jeep.

That's my 2 cents

Comment

Working...
          X