Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

working on JK suspension similar to working on TJ?

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JK: working on JK suspension similar to working on TJ?

A friend of mine just got a used JK Rubicon 2 door, and I'm pretty sure we're gonna put some 2" or 3" springs and shocks on there pretty soon. Just a simple spring and shock upgrade, nothing to involved. I'm fairly confident at working on my TJ now, are the JKs much different?
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
    www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Originally posted by daniel_buck View Post
    A friend of mine just got a used JK Rubicon 2 door, and I'm pretty sure we're gonna put some 2" or 3" springs and shocks on there pretty soon. Just a simple spring and shock upgrade, nothing to involved. I'm fairly confident at working on my TJ now, are the JKs much different?
    Different or not swapping springs and shocks is pretty much the same basic job, you can do it

Comment

I kinda figured and hoped that, thanks I guess they aren't like YJ to TJ where the suspension was alot different? (sorry, I don't know anything about JKs)
      [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab

Comment

I kinda figured and hoped that, thanks I guess they aren't like YJ to TJ where the suspension was alot different? (sorry, I don't know anything about JKs)
        Everything on the JK is nearly identical to a TJ. Today I took off my 3" lift and put the stock suspention back on. It took only a couple of hours to do it.

Comment

If the goal is to get 35 inch tires on the JK, then the only thing needed suspension-wise is 1 3/4 inch spring spacers. That is what I did on my JK (Daystar). I also used Spidertrax 1 1/2 inch spacers on my stock wheels. This way you do not have to mess with the drive shaft. There is a bit of trimming needed at the front of the rear wheel well.
          Rich

Comment

Wow, really? just need about 2 inches to fit 35s? do the wheels need spacers? Bumpstops would need adjusting I assume?

I should start reading through some of the JK FAQ on jeepforum.
            Last edited by daniel_buck; 02-15-12, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mkjeepers View Post
              Today I took off my 3" lift and put the stock suspention back on.
              I'm curious, why?

Comment

Originally posted by SkylarM View Post
                I'm curious, why?
                I just purchased a new 2012 JK and put the 2007 up for sale. You have a much better reponce for a stock vehicle, plus I plan to put the previous equipment on the new one....sometime. I'm just enjoying the new motor too much right now to do the build..

Comment

question about the JK control arms. So far as I know, my friend's 08 Rubi is factory, he just picked it up a week or so ago, so he's not the original owner. The rear control arms are tubes, and the fronts are boxed square arms, with a bend in them I think. Do these sound like factory arms? Or have they been upgraded? The arms on my TJ were crummy stamped steel, not even boxed. Just curious.

Comment

question about the JK control arms. So far as I know, my friend's 08 Rubi is factory, he just picked it up a week or so ago, so he's not the original owner. The rear control arms are tubes, and the fronts are boxed square arms, with a bend in them I think. Do these sound like factory arms? Or have they been upgraded? The arms on my TJ were crummy stamped steel, not even boxed. Just curious.
                    The stock uppers are square and the lowers are a round tube and non adjustable.

Comment

Originally posted by mkjeepers View Post
                      The stock uppers are square and the lowers are a round tube and non adjustable.
                      x2 on the arms.

I did a complete 4" X-Series Rough Country lift a few months back. Springs, shocks, upper and lower adjustable control arms, quick disconnects up front. fun times it had a 2.5" spacer lift with 35s when I bought it but all fenders and rear bumper rubbed so i went with the 4". still rubbed so i took rear bumper off and added some flat fenders. Put the sliders on tonight.

http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...fts?highlight=
                      http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...all?highlight=

Picked the lift up from leadfootjosh here on the forum at a nice price (the best I could find anywhere). Easy to deal with and the lift came in very quickly.

Enjoy.
                      [COLOR="red"]Are you seeing planes? Is your name Tattoo? Because I swear to God, you're living on Fantasy Island[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                      X