Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Give me the good, the bad, the ugly of suspension lifts?

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JK: Give me the good, the bad, the ugly of suspension lifts?

I'm new to Jeep modifications but have a 2007 JK 4D and am looking to purchase a 3 or 3 1/3 inch long arm susp lift kit. I have had so many mixed reviews my head is spinning. I hear Pro Comp and then some say Pro Junk...I hear go SkyJacker then next thread says SkyCrapper...etc etc etc

What I want: I want a smooth highway ride as well as capable of doing moderate off-roading. I really like my factory ride and dont want to lift it and say "well now it rides like a jeep"! Is there a durable best-of-both-worlds? i want this to last so I dont mind spending the money to get a good setup but also dont want to spend a fortune(oxymoron I am aware lol). Any and ALL advise would be greatly appreciated.

My experience with the '07 JKU was that the nose-down rake made it slightly uncomfortable. Jeep tried to make a car-like ride by putting super soft springs and shocks in it. Any bump slapped the axle on the bump stop and it rocked back the opposite way and slammed on the bump stop on the other corner. It was miserable. I got a 2 1/2" Pro-Comp take-off for $50 on C/L. The heavier springs and shocks make it a different animal all together. It still has a bit of the nose-down, but it doesn't hit the bump stops any more. The back is a bit stiff - even with a hard top. Stock springs with spacers and a good set of shocks may be the way to go on the back.
    The JK has fairly long arms to begin with, so it's not critical like the TJ to get longer arms right away. But, the LCA's are not bullet-proof. If your intent is mild offroading, you should be fine. With the JK, you can fit 35's with a small lift. The main concerns are with the front axle strength. The ball joints are plastic sleeves and the tubes and upper c's are weak. The other point of concern is the Rzeppa joints on the transfer case. Anything over 2 1/2" lift, and you should seriously look into double-cardan joints. The Rzeppa's just don't like angles.
    What does all this mean? Have fun with your Jeep. Upgrade it as needed. Be safe. And again, have fun with it.
    God forgives, rocks don't
    -sons of thunder

Comment

How much money are you prepared to spend on the suspension upgrades?
      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

I'm not wanting to replace the drive shaft so I am keeping 3 1/2 or less (which is what I keep hearing is about max hight to hit before having to make lots of mods) I am gonna run 15" or 16" rims and stopping at 33" tires so I dont have to re-gear(again what I keep hearing most people say on these forums). I want to keep the kit under 2K as a final cost(kit, install, re-alignment, etc.) Again I'm new to this so I dont know if my expectations are completely unrealistic.

Comment

Just my opinion, but if your plan is to use it on the highway I would stay away from the long arm suspension lift. My jeep is a daily driver, and I heard from several folks that long arm lifts will change the way the jeep rides on the highway.

If you like the factory ride I would suggest a 3" short arm lift with discos and a good set of fully adjustable shocks so you have the option to soften the ride a little on the road.

HOOYAH!!!
          Dan

Comment

Spring spacers and some discos. 33's don't even require a lift. Spring spacers won't change the on road feel but will give a little extra lift. 2"-2.5 is fine.
            1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

What do you consider moderate? Give us trail if you have one in mind? I built mine to do bullfrog without banging. Anything more than that, we pass. Not into tearing up my rig.

From what I am hearing, fire roads with the occasional rock garden, not doing anything like Holcomb, john bull or Bull Frog. If that is the case, 33's and a budget boost will do you fine.

Comment

Based on what you are telling us about wanting to only run 33 inch tires, I would recommend a 1 to 1 3\4 inch spring spacer lift (Daystar). I run 1 3/4 on my JK Rubicon and I run 35 inch tires. It also sounds like you do not have a Rubicon, so you would probably be ahead regearing to something lower, maybe in the 4.56 range. The Rubicon comes with 4.10s stock, with 32 inch tires. I run 5.13 gears in mine.
                Rich

Comment

Not to Hijack but, there is a similar discussion on lift kits for the 4 door JK going on here: http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...-Country-Lifts that you may want to check out. It's about the Rough Country Lift kits (specifically the 4" lift kit) but they do offer kits in a 3 1/2" down to I think a 2" kit as well.

Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-11...item20bd1617fc
                  Last edited by avjeepfreek; 09-30-11, 08:43 AM.
                  "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

Thanks to everyone for all the advice. I am thinking that I will go spacers as of temporary(since they are cheep) and see if thats all I will need for my uses. And then do a lift and re-gear later if that is not sufficient! But by all means continue with the discussion so I(and others) can continue to use it for reference!

Comment

Tera Flex makes a spacer kit that has spring spacers and extenders for the stock shocks.
                      You can easily go with the 2" with out any driveline problems . I have a 3 1/2" on my 2 door w/o and issues.

Comment

I have procomp 2.5” spacers on my 08 JK with 35’s that rub. I am dropping that and going with the 4” Rough Country X series kit that avjeepfreek posted above. The jeep dealer told me they go 4” max before having to change anything else. I have not had an issue with the spacers other than the ass high look which I hate and the rubbing of the too large of tires… but the spacers have performed just fine for everything I have done thus far. Just because I hate the stink bug look I would look for a leveling kit.

Good luck and post some pics once it is up.

Danny
                        [COLOR="red"]Are you seeing planes? Is your name Tattoo? Because I swear to God, you're living on Fantasy Island[/COLOR]

Comment

I went with daystar 1 3/4" spring spacers and 1" body lift kit. So next step is re-gear so i can go 35's. I am really happy with how easy it was to install and ill post some pics later today.

Does anyone have recomendations for rim size with 35's with aspirations of going 37 later? I was originally going to go 15's but think ill have problems upgrading later. I was thinking about staying stock 17's and bedlining them but dont know if thats a good rim to tire ratio, how hard that is to do, and lastly if bedlining looks good(up close and more than in person)?
                          Last edited by StrizzyChris; 10-23-11, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by StrizzyChris View Post
                            I went with daystar 1 3/4" coilover spacers and 1" body lift kit. So next step is re-gear so i can go 35's. I am really happy with how easy it was to install and ill post some pics later today.

Does anyone have recomendations for rim size with 35's with aspirations of going 37 later? I was originally going to go 15's but think ill have problems upgrading later. I was thinking about staying stock 17's and bedlining them but dont know if thats a good rim to tire ratio, how hard that is to do, and lastly if bedlining looks good(up close and more than in person)?
                            35's work fine on 8" wheels, you'll have to use at least 1 1/4" spacers for the stock wheels though.

Comment

I would not bedline a rim. Bedliner will not give a consistent thickness and adds massive weight and would make it hard to balance. I would either have them powder coated, or with proper prep spray can will look good. There are a ton of guys on one of my Yota forums that paint their rims and have had good success. The ones that didnt turn out right didnt take time to sand and prep properly.

Comment

Working...
                              X