Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ: Broken Rear Axle side Track Bar Mount

I have a 06' TJ Unlimited Rubicon it has a 4" lift. The track bar mount was added onto to extend it several inches higher. After a recent trail exercise, I received a broken rear axle side track bar mount. It pulled almost completely off the axle tube on both sides of the mount. I put some 6011 arc beads on each side and added a small brace.

It works, However...

After bolting the track bar to the bracket I realized that the axle has shifted several inches to the passenger side.

I would like to re-center the axle and may cut the old "adapted" track bar mount off and add something like this:

http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...nt_p_1629.html

Have advice... other outfits, before I get into changing it?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

id say youre on the right trac. factory mounts are too thin once you weld to them they lose their strength. i would say just buy the ballistic mount salvage what you can of you old tracbar.

Comment

That one is for the front as a custom bracket, keep looking there are brackets on the market for TJ's or by some 3/16 or 1/4 plate and come visit me and make your own with my plasma cutter.
      Originally bought my Dana 44 with a ripped bracket and welded and braced it never had a problem with it since

Max I found this, which is what you are looking for

http://www.mountainoffroad.com/_e/Fo...ar_Bracket.htm
      You can get their upper control arm brackets also, the whole shebang is for a Ford 8.8 axle but should be close enough

http://www.mountainoffroad.com/_e/Fo...rm_Bracket.htm
      Last edited by aw12345; 06-01-11, 06:06 AM.

Comment

What suprises me, after wheeling with Max for so long, is that it took this long to break! gO mAX!
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

kurt has had all kinds of experience with stuff breaking off of his axle.

Comment

Looking into M.O.R. stuff and thinking about it. I do like the off set with the ballistic mount because it replicates the adapted stock mount. Its a tight space. Art what would be the difference if that was a front mount in your estimation. Is there an obvious problem? I may like to fab something, Thanks!
            Kurt so much for easing back in to the sport.... I broke it with a smile.
            "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

[QUOTE=Max7;190606
              Kurt so much for easing back in to the sport.... I broke it with a smile.[/QUOTE]

i wouldn't expect you to do anything but smile
              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Max7 View Post
                Looking into M.O.R. stuff and thinking about it. I do like the off set with the ballistic mount because it replicates the adapted stock mount. Its a tight space. Art what would be the difference if that was a front mount in your estimation. Is there an obvious problem? I may like to fab something, Thanks!
                Kurt so much for easing back in to the sport.... I broke it with a smile.
                For starters that balistic mount has a 3/4 bolt hole for a heim joint, the 10 mm bolt will be a bit to small. You sure the trackbar isn't bend? The bracket on my yellow Jeep was welded and I braced it before I put the axle in and it centers just fine

Comment

No i'm not sure the track bar is not bent. I would be really surprised though I think its cast steel... anything is possible. I would have to pull it and compare to another to be sure.

Point taken on the 3/4 hole. I wonder if i could get a blank from balistic? I'll call them.

Comment

in no way do i mean to be rude so please dont take this the wrong way. i think you are over thinking this a litte too much. if your track bar and upper mount is still good then just cut that old pos bracket off and make your self a new one. it can easily be done with a grinder and a drill. save some money and build your self something that you know will hold up.

Comment

MMax, you can always swing by use the plasma and mig your self a shiny new bracket back on your axle. By the way when are we going to try and extend the Hairy Crack?

Comment

bails85, I have some time on my hands.... so i am having some fun "over thinking" LOL. I appreciate your encouragement, you do not seem rude at all. After it's fixed up let's go wheelin'.

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                          MMax, you can always swing by use the plasma and mig your self a shiny new bracket back on your axle. By the way when are we going to try and extend the Hairy Crack?
                          K Art, I may take you up on that... Yeah we need to put some meat on that trail, I've just been procrastinating. We must organize something soon!

Comment

Let's weld it and let's do it.

Comment

Max I know you have offer open but your more than welcome to swing by the shop for some beers and weld it up
                              [COLOR="YellowGreen"]"You cant fit 2 fingers in my tailpipe"[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                              X