Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help/question

I took it to a jeep shop and they said everything looks ok. Not feeling ok here is what is going on

Hi everyone

I got a 2" bds lift a little while ago.I also got a Transfer Case Drop. I was getting some vibrations. After the Transfer Case Drop the vibrations went away. So that problem fixed. Next problem that happened was my jeep was all over the road driving at 60-65 mph it was tracking the lines or groves in the road. I had a friend look at it he told me my bushings were bad. So I went out and put in this kit to fix it Heavy Duty Steering Kit With Stabilizer
    1997-2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ & 1991-2001 Cherokee XJ Part # HDSTRGCR2.I also replaced the track bar with the new jks heavy duty track bar for a 2 inch lift. I figured since I am doing that I might as well get the jks quicker disconnects as well. I have all that installed now. Here is what the jeep is going now. When I step on the gas the back end wants to side to driver side left. When I get off the gas it wants to slide to driver side right. The steering is still sloppy and wants to follow the groves on the highway. It just feels like it is out of control. It also feels like it is drifting to the driver side left when driving at 62 mph. I have done a 4wheel alignment and my 31 inch bfg at tires are at 35 psi. Not sure what to do next any ideas...your input will be welcome

I am still learning about what makes a jeep work. I am find g out what jeep stands for "just empty every pocket"

Papa drew

I am not sure about the axle moving around but as for the tires fallowing the grooves I had that problem with my ramcharger it would make lane changes without my approval. From what I know it is just one of those things you have to deal with when you run certain tires. I was running the mt baja claws. Hope you get it figured out.
    It's not leaking it's marking its territory.

Comment

Let's start with the lift... Do you have an extension bracket on the axle for the panhard (track) bar? If you have an adjustable bar, you shouldn't need the extender. If you do have one, check to make sure it isn't loose. Also, I have seen on some TJ's that the frame can tear not only by the steering box, but also at the upper mounting point of the panhard to the frame. Check those first. Now, to the back... I don't know about TJ's, but YJ's have a slotted upper mount for the rear panhard. If it's loose, the rear can swing abotu 1" side to side. Have it sit level and loosen the upper bolt. Let it rest and then set the factory torque. Also, if you have a lower extensoin bracket, check to see if it's tight and also not torn. I've seen them do both. Let's go back to the front. With the engine running and a trustworthy person behind the wheel (with the e-brake set) have them saw the steering wheel back and forth. Look to see if your tie rod ends have any play in them. If they do, you will see the tie rod moving before the knuckles. It can have slop at either the tie rod ends, drag link joint, or the joint from the pitman arm. If these all look good, block a rear wheel and jack a front wheel up enough to grab it top and bottom (12:00 and 6:00). Alternately try to rock the wheel in on top, out on bottom and vice'-verse'. If there is any play, you may have a ball joint going out. Be sure to check both sides. The best way I know to test the unit bearings is to find a quiet stretch of road with a fairly sharp corner. With the radio off and the windows down, go into the corner at about 30mph. Listen for any drag on the front rotors. This is how I found mine. I had one that slid side to side - even with the axle shaft torqued. It slides side to side 1/4"! The other is tight, that's my spare. One pair of unit bearings later, I can corner quietly. Hope this helps.
      God forgives, rocks don't
      -sons of thunder

Comment

Working...
      X