Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ: Full Traction Front Track Bar ???

I have this front track bar set up from Full Traction and I can't seem to eliminate the play in the bushing at the frame bracket. I've replaced the bushing, torqued the thing down with a breaker bar and no matter what I do there is still a bit of play . . . Any ideas? I was starting to think about shaving a bit off the metal sleeve between the bushing halves to see if that might allow me to squeeze the bushing in the bracket a bit, but I don't know if that will help or make it worse. Do you think I would be able to press a Johnny Joint in there and be done with the bushing altogether?

Thanks!

That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

I have a FT kit that uses this trackbar. I don't know where your at, but I'm in Long Beach, (405 & Belflower). Your welcome to come look at mine if you like. Mine is nice and tight. We may even be able to fix it while your here. PM me if your interested.
    It was like that when I got here.

Comment

That trac bar kit is for the 6" lift kit. Is that the lift you have?
      06 UNL RUBI 4.5 LA,KM 2-35's/ 4.88 BEADLOCKS/SKIDS/WINCH
      07 AT CHASER TRAILER

Comment

I have a 4" lift. . . the track bar came with the FT kit I orginally bought . . . I think it's for 4-6" of lift. The pic might be slightly different than what I have but the bracket, and overall set up is the same.

Thanks Tumbleweed . . . did yours ever have play in it and did you do anything special to cure it? It's a pretty simple concept . . . two bushing halves a metal sleeve and a bolt . . . I thought the bushing was bad as when I pulled it off, it seemed really loose and you could pop the bushings out by hand easily, but after replacing it, the play is still there and I've torqued it down as tight as I can . . . what else could be the issue . . . it's one stinkin bolt!
        Last edited by Schmo; 03-14-11, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
          I have a 4" lift. . . the track bar came with the FT kit I orginally bought . . . I think it's for 4-6" of lift. The pic might be slightly different than what I have but the bracket, and overall set up is the same.

Thanks Tumbleweed . . . did yours ever have play in it and did you do anything special to cure it? It's a pretty simple concept . . . two bushing halves a metal sleeve and a bolt . . . I thought the bushing was bad as when I pulled it off, it seemed really loose and you could pop the bushings out by hand easily, but after replacing it, the play is still there and I've torqued it down as tight as I can . . . what else could be the issue . . . it's one stinkin bolt!

It's the same bar for 4 or 6 lifts. I never had a bushing issue. I believe my bushings where tight go'n in. Grease and some tapping with a hammer. I would contact FT. They are really working on improving there customer service, and helping people out, that have issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Tumbleweed13 View Post
            It's the same bar for 4 or 6 lifts. I never had a bushing issue. I believe my bushings where tight go'n in. Grease and some tapping with a hammer. I would contact FT. They are really working on improving there customer service, and helping people out, that have issues.
            Yeah both sets of bushings were snug when I put then in the TB . . . I wonder if the braket might be a bit too wide or the sleeve too long or something. Luckily it doesn't seem to be causing death wobble or any issues, but I think it is the squeeking I hear.

Comment

Not the same Trac Bar frame mount bracket for 4 or 6 ' lifts. This much I am sure. Ck with FT
              07 AT CHASER TRAILER

Comment

Originally posted by mrchips View Post
                Not the same Trac Bar frame mount bracket for 4 or 6 ' lifts. This much I am sure. Ck with FT

This is the kit I bought . . . I used the other pic as it was of the TB only, same set up, bracket appears to be the same. This is indeed a 4" kit . . . but regardless, the issue I'm having has nothing to do with the length or adjustment of the trackbar, but rather the play in the bushing at the bracket.

Comment

Have you called FT yet?

Comment

Ask to speak to Steve the owner,,,,, good guy, he will help you.
                    07 AT CHASER TRAILER

Comment

Full Traction

Originally posted by Schmo View Post

This is the kit I bought . . . I used the other pic as it was of the TB only, same set up, bracket appears to be the same. This is indeed a 4" kit . . . but regardless, the issue I'm having has nothing to do with the length or adjustment of the trackbar, but rather the play in the bushing at the bracket.
                      Joe, I have the exact same kit. I have had issues and not much help getting them resolved. To date I have installed zerk fittings on all the bushing joints, replaced 2 bushings, replaced the 2 upper front control arm bolts with greaseable bolts from Currie and am closing in on the clucking and squeeking. I have not had the problem you are describing with the track bar at the bushing. I have had the track bar making noise at the heim joint end and just retightened that connection to fix it. The tightness of the bolt does not have much to do with movement within the bushing. I would suggest you make sure it is indeed the bushing connection.

BobO
                      "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
                      (Charles Wells)

Comment

Originally posted by Mtbikbob View Post
                        Joe, I have the exact same kit. I have had issues and not much help getting them resolved. To date I have installed zerk fittings on all the bushing joints, replaced 2 bushings, replaced the 2 upper front control arm bolts with greaseable bolts from Currie and am closing in on the clucking and squeeking. I have not had the problem you are describing with the track bar at the bushing. I have had the track bar making noise at the heim joint end and just retightened that connection to fix it. The tightness of the bolt does not have much to do with movement within the bushing. I would suggest you make sure it is indeed the bushing connection.

BobO
                        Thanks Bob! Sounds like we had similar issues . . . after a couple sets of new bushings, I threw the LCAs in the trash and went with Curries with Johnny joints and that cured that issue . . . Got matching UCAs as well. The play is defintely at the point where the bushing sits in the drop bracket . . . I thought at first perhaps the bushing just wore out . . . it still looked good and wasn't chewed up like the bushings in the LCAs were getting . . . but it seemed loose where you could just pop the bushing out of the TB by hand, so I thought a new bushing would fix the issue . . . nope! I was hoping someone else might have had the same issue so I don't just keep throwing bushings at it at 20 bucks a pop.

Have you also noticed on your Jeep that the passenger side sits lower than the driver side at the rear of the Jeep? Last time I measured it was almost 3/4" lower on the passenger side compared to the driver. I was planning on swaping them right to left to see if that might level things out, before I replace them too.
                        Last edited by Schmo; 03-17-11, 10:59 AM.

Comment

LOL. you dont even drive the jeep anymore. it sits in the garage and your complaining about noise and joints.
                          Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Gonna put close to 1000 miles on it next week . . . crossing my fingers it'll get me there and back. Pot calling the kettle black there bro . . . you don't wheel any more either!!! My Jeep sits in the garage . . . your Hummer sits in the parking lot for Babies'R'Us . . . although that is more appropriate! Get that YJ put together and lets get back out there. At least I've been hitting the trail on the bike.

Comment

Joe,

Exactly what kit did you buy? The FTS7503 or the FTS7505 kit?

I answer the phone here at Full-Traction Suspension. I have yet to receive any of your calls. You know me and you know where I work.

Robert "KINGSIZE"
                              From A Champ To A Chump In Just One Bump!

Comment

Working...
                              X