Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a lift for a 93 yj

Does anyone have or know a enexpensive lift for a jeep 1993 wrangler yj still in highschool not a ton of money?

Keep in touch with YJ owners who are looking to get a new lift. My 2 1/2" Rancho was a free take-off. It all depends on how high you want to go. The other option is to stay stock height and put TJ flares on. The cutting of the fenders gets about 1" of upper clearance. You can also highline the front to suit your taste and cut the rear flares higher to match. Either method is pretty cheap and effective.
    God forgives, rocks don't
    -sons of thunder

Comment

With RE out of service. I'd look to BDS. The cheap lifts have the worst springs. Horrible ride and little or no flex on the trail. I'd recommend a shorter lift and some fender trimming.
      It was like that when I got here.

Comment

I'd have to agree with Tumbleweed here.

If you run a 3.5" lift and a 1 or 2" body lift,... you will be able to run 33" tires with no problems. I run a Superlift 4.5" kit (which is not manufactured anymore, they sell a 4" kit now.) I've had it on the Jeep for a good 6 or 7 years now and the front springs are still stiff as hell! There are a few things you can do as well to get the extra flex out of it that you want that are low cost or no cost to you... such as removing the track bars, sway bar and disconnects (free) and adding boomerang shackles (about $50 on ebay) to it, all of which, I have done.

My YJ flex's great but if I had it to do over again I would have gone with the Rubicon Express kit a long time ago.

I'd look into the Pro Comp kit as well as the Rough Country Kit's but make sure you get a kit that includes shocks.

You might want to get a hold of Josh (Leadfootjosh here on MJR) and see if he can get you into a Rough Country lift, he sell and installs them. In my opinion, Rough Country has come along way in the past few years and is producing some real good lift kits for the money (although some on here will disagree!).

Ebay and Craigslist are also good avenues to go to look for lift kits on the cheaper side.

Just my :2:

And..... if I ever find myself in the unique situation of having 3 or 4 grand lying around and have nothing to do with it other than buy Jeep parts...... Pro Comp's Coil Conversion Kit for the YJ would be at the tip top of my list!

Scott
        Last edited by avjeepfreek; 03-09-11, 08:34 AM.
        "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

Okay,
          If you have little money and want to do a "Po-Boy" lift, Here's a few sugestions.
          Rough Country Add-a-leaf springs can give you 2"
          Warrier Shackles can give you 2 to 2.5" of lift
          Body lift kits can give you 1 to 3" of lift. (I wouldn't go past 2" myself)

Please note that if you exceed 2" of suspension lift, you'll need new longer shocks.
          There are issues lifting a Jeep in this manner, it's far from perfect, but it does increase your ground clearance. It does not flex all that well and with the longer shackles hangaing down, you have to watch your angle of aproach when attempting to go over obstacles.

A lot of guys don't think much of this lift method, but if you are limited on funds, this will work until you can do it right.

By the way, I see you are new to MJR. Welcome aboard! You can learn a lot from this forum. I see you are in Apple Valey, maybe we'll see you soon on a trail run?
          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
          MJR moderator
          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by avjeepfreek View Post
            And..... if I ever find myself in the unique situation of having 3 or 4 grand lying around and have nothing to do with it other than buy Jeep parts...... Pro Comp's Coil Conversion Kit for the YJ would be at the tip top of my list!

Scott
            :hijack:
            If you are ever in this wonderful and unique situation. Do NOT get the Pro Comp conversion kit. It is made for the mall not the trail. I've seen 2 of them fail miserably. Broken CA's torn mounts, springs popped out. Get something like the Genright or Poly Performance conversion. Then you'll be flex'n with the big boys.

Back to your original thread topic.
            It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Scott I'm with ya, but if you've got that extra $$ laying around why not just sub contract Chuck out to do the same to yours I'm sure he'd love to go through another 1.5 year build
              USMC F&AM

Comment

Originally posted by desertracer155 View Post
                Does anyone have or know a enexpensive lift for a jeep 1993 wrangler yj still in highschool not a ton of money?
                PM Sent..
                [COLOR="Blue"]www.LEADFOOToffroad.com [/COLOR][COLOR="blue"][COLOR="Red"] COMING SOON!!![/COLOR][/COLOR]
                PARTS, SERVICE, INSTALLATION & CUSTOM FAB...

Comment

i think every yj owner should do a coil conversion. it looks funny when u run hi lines and theres is nothiong in the wheel well.

Comment

Originally posted by bails85 View Post
                    i think every yj owner should do a coil conversion. it looks funny when u run hi lines and theres is nothiong in the wheel well.
                    As long as you're buying, we're all for it.
                    -sons of thunder

Comment

An old buddy had the cheap skyjacker 4in kit

It was cheap and flexed Great.

I would recommend re(even though there closed, maybe find a kit used)or skyjacker or rough country all good quality kits
                      2000 TJ lcg build, 4.0, nv3550, 231, 3/2 springs, RE short arms, Trussed hp30 4.56's chromo's ARB Dana 44 4.56's ARB, Cut fenders on 35's

Comment

I'm running a 4inch pro comp on mine. I was able to pick it up new for 450 from wheel parts. It was 4 springs 4 shocks and all the relocator brackets. Its been a good lift and started to sag on the passanger side but pro comp has lifetime warrenty so i just get new springs once a year

Comment

If you are a vet and buy from 4wheelparts, bring your 214. They do discounts for active and vets.
                          -sons of thunder

Comment

Working...
                          X