Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JK: Rough Country 4" X-Series install

Well, we finally lifted Lesa's 4 Door JK Sahara over the weekend, thanks to the help of my install crew..... Josh (Snydercj7) Roger and Mitch (Great88) You guys are the best and thank you so much for all your help! We took our time and got it all done in 1 long 14 hour day!

I went with the Rough Country 4" Long Arm X-Series lift kit. I got it through Topguncustomz.com (I know I already made my apologies to you but again, Sorry Leadfootjosh) The kit listed at $1,295.00 but, because the 4" short arm kit that I had originally ordered wasn't available anymore through the warehouse I got this new kit for $1,078.00. This kit came with everything I needed including adjustable upper and lower control arms and front track bar, springs, extended steel braided brake lines, front sway bar disco's and shocks and all of the components in the kit look well built and very tough! I added a new front steering stabilizer kit also from Rough Country.

The only issues we had were that the instructions that came with the kit were a little vague at times and the parts list (I.E. nuts and bolts could have been better marked but, I am very pleased with the finished product and Lesa couldn't be happier!

Here are some pic's taken during the install.

Building Control Arms

On jack stands!

Stock rear at full droop

Working on the front end

Front installed at full droop

Taking the back end apart

Finished!

We finished the whole thing off with a set of 35 x 12.5 x 18 Toyo's on the stock JK wheels. I had to add 1.5" spacers to the wheel for the proper back spacing.

We are very pleased with both the on and off road ride quality and Lesa says "It looks like a Jeep now!" and she's already looking forward to the next upgrade!

"Footnote"

Now before I get the "proverbial tongue lashing" from the few of you out there that thoroughly despise the Rough Country product line and feel the need to relay that to your fellow Jeeper by saying that it's "crap" and "you should have held out for a better lift"..... let me just say that you are entitled to your opinion and you're distaste of the Rough Country product in whole or part is dually noted as observed in several of the previous threads on this site concerning Rough Country and their products..... so, you can refrain from trying to make me feel bad for buying this kit. I based my decision on the fact that I like the product. I have had several vehicles that I have used the Rough Country lifts on before and I have never had an issue with any of them. I'm satisfied that this kit was the right decision for us and thanks for your understanding!

Scott and Lesa
    Last edited by avjeepfreek; 01-31-11, 12:44 PM.
    "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Good Job! The Jeep looks Great!
    I'll keep my money, guns and freedom...you can keep the "Change".

Comment

Looks good Scott

Comment

Looks great Scott. Nice work.
        Check out .

Comment

I like it and think we need to hit Mottino in Lesa's newly lifted Jeep for a test run.
          Build it right the first time.

Comment

Looks great Scott.....

Thats a good looking Jeep
            [COLOR="YellowGreen"]"You cant fit 2 fingers in my tailpipe"[/COLOR]

Comment

Scott,

Turned out great! Had a lot of fun Saturday. Breakfast burritos to Pizza, a cool day hanging out with friends.

Comment

Looks good. The 4 doors just don't look right unless they're lifted. But 14 hours? Were you guys trying to retire off this one job? LOL, Kevin.

Comment

Kevin,

Really the three of them did 90% of the work. I kept an eye on Lesa and the kitchen

Comment

I know I'm kinda late to post here. I just found this thread! But I did want to say that it was a pleasure working with Scott, Mitch, & Josh on this project. I really learned alot. Like Scott, I've only heard bad things about Rough Country, but I gotta tell you that this kit fit perfectly. All the parts were included. The engineering seemed great everything was at least twice the size of the oem parts. I know time will be the ultimate judge of the quality, but it looks like Rough Country did an excellent job with this kit.
                    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                    MJR moderator
                    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                    Jeep Patrol Leader
                    Reforestation Supervisor
                    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                    Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by 1 Bad F N Z View Post
                      Looks good. The 4 doors just don't look right unless they're lifted. But 14 hours? Were you guys trying to retire off this one job? LOL, Kevin.
                      lol Kevin! I know....... it took all day but hey, We worked well with each other and we took our time to make sure it was right! Not to bad for a bunch of rookie installers!

Scott
                      Last edited by avjeepfreek; 03-02-11, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Update:

So far, so good with the lift and tires, Lesa is loving her new toy!

I purchased an AEV ProCal module to recalibrate the speedo and shift points. From what I've read, this unit will cure the loss of power caused by the addition of the 35's as well as do a number of other things such as recalibrating the computer after a gear swap and fixing the TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensors) so she can run lower tire pressure offroad without the "Ding, Ding, Ding and dash light constantly going off.

I will also be adding a Bestop stubby front bumper that I got from Josh. (thanx Josh/snydercj7).

To fix the JK hood problem, I tried removing the spring under the hood as some have done but, had no luck in fixing the problem. So, I have added the Daystar Hood Wranglers to keep the hood from buffeting up and down and looking like it's about to fly off! (If you don't own a JK and you've never seen this for yourself, ...It's a vary scary site!!).

I also need to start thinking about the rear bumper and swing out so, I can get the full size spare on the back and possibly some rocker protection.

Whatta ya think Josh?? I think she's in need of some Leadfoot Off Road Gear??????

Needless to say, Lesa loves it and once I get it re-calibrated, we will take it out and stretch it's legs a little!

Scott
                        Last edited by avjeepfreek; 03-02-11, 01:52 PM.

Comment

I wanna go when you strech it's legs!
                          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                          MJR moderator
                          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                          Jeep Patrol Leader
                          Reforestation Supervisor
                          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                          Eagle Scout

Comment

Keep an eye on those wheel spacers. Check bolts/nuts OFTEN......
                            You added a mucho bunch of load to those outboard wheel/axle bearings, BTW.
                            Respectfully,
                            LG
                            Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

Originally posted by avjeepfreek View Post
                              Whatta ya think Josh?? I think she's in need of some Leadfoot Off Road Gear??????
                              you know how to get a hold of me... and.. A clean silver Jk.. will be perfect to showcase our new production JK bumper..

side note.. jeep looks bad ass..
                              [COLOR="Blue"]www.LEADFOOToffroad.com [/COLOR][COLOR="blue"][COLOR="Red"] COMING SOON!!![/COLOR][/COLOR]
                              PARTS, SERVICE, INSTALLATION & CUSTOM FAB...

Comment

Working...
                              X